PDA

View Full Version : Non posted private land

Shooter
11-05-2013, 07:20 PM
Is it ok to hunt land that shows on a map as private but it isn't posted at all? I'm not talking about someone's back yard either. Private land back in the woods that is not posted as private at all.

ru rancher
11-05-2013, 07:25 PM
id say no it isnt okay cuase then places that are like that and posted someone could ripp down the signs and then hunt there worrys free if it isnt posted i would still find the owner and ask for there premision

Ozone
11-05-2013, 07:26 PM
If you never saw the map, would you know the difference?

Whonnock Boy
11-05-2013, 07:27 PM
Good question shooter..... Are you looking at properties showing on Front Counter BC?

Shooter
11-05-2013, 07:29 PM
If you never saw the map, would you know the difference?

nope. One side of the road is posted every 100yards or so and the other side not at all. But I had heard before that if it wasn't posted then you were good to go.

North Star
11-05-2013, 07:29 PM
It's legal and up to the owner that it is properly posted.

bridger
11-05-2013, 07:35 PM
It's legal and up to the owner that it is properly posted.

If private land is fenced there is no requirement to post the land. If the private land is obviously being used for agriculture again no requirement to post. If private land is not fenced nor being used for agriculture owner must post

kennyj
11-05-2013, 07:38 PM
Hi Shooter,
Try a search on here.There was a thread on here about the trespass act that explained it well.
kenny

bud-aboom
11-05-2013, 07:50 PM
I live in the interior where everything is fenced. A land owner has to have his land posted if he wishes to keep hunters out. You can't assume it's owned just because there is a fence. Agricultural lands aside all un posted land is fair game in my books.

Gateholio
11-05-2013, 07:54 PM
Read the regs. Posted, fenced, gated or cultivated private land is a no go without permission.

bridger
11-05-2013, 08:08 PM
I live in the interior where everything is fenced. A land owner has to have his land posted if he wishes to keep hunters out. You can't assume it's owned just because there is a fence. Agricultural lands aside all un posted land is fair game in my books.

headed for trouble with that attitude. The is a difference between fenced grazing leases and fenced private land

Everett
11-05-2013, 08:13 PM
Fenced land must be posted at access points to be off limits if there is access through the fence and its not gated our posted and the land is not cultivated its fair game. There is lots of land in Columbia Valley like this most people probably don't even know they are hunting private land.

GoatGuy
11-05-2013, 08:13 PM
Fenced land must be posted at access points to be off limits if there is access through the fence and its not gated our posted and the land is not cultivated its fair game. There is lots of land in Columbia Valley like this most people probably don't even know they are hunting private land.
That's only cause they can't read - hillbillies!

Davey Crockett
11-05-2013, 08:15 PM
Not true actually. The trespass act spells out the landowner requirements quite plainly. A "lawful fence" is sufficient. The tricky part is that not all fences are on private land or leases. A person has to practice due dilligence and do their research.
As for the original question regarding hunting on private land that is not fenced or posted, i personally would gain permission or not bother just out of respect if nothing else.

5 spike
11-05-2013, 08:56 PM
I would say if your not sure dont go on the land.Maybe you can find out in town if the land is private property or not.Good luck.

Shooter
11-05-2013, 09:21 PM
So what exactly is cultivated land? Is an unused unfenced field classified as cultivated?

Everett
11-05-2013, 09:37 PM
That's only cause they can't read - hillbillies!

That and the hillbillies that own the land can't write:-D

meathead
11-06-2013, 09:00 AM
its a hunters resposibility to know were they are hunting.

Gun Dog
11-06-2013, 09:25 AM
What map? The last time I looked at the Provincial map database it mixed freehold (i.e. private) and leases together. I guess if you have a 99 year lease it's effectively private but I don't remember where grazing and other short term leases fall into the picture.

The owner has obligations too about marking the boundary.

It helps if you're guided by rule #1: don't be an ass.

tinhorse
11-06-2013, 09:41 AM
So what exactly is cultivated land? Is an unused unfenced field classified as cultivated?
Yes it would be

Sofa King
11-06-2013, 09:47 AM
I would say if your not sure dont go on the land.Maybe you can find out in town if the land is private property or not.Good luck.

this.
common sense I would think.
if you are unsure, then find out and confirm.

russm86
11-06-2013, 11:59 AM
Do you know if it's a property fence or a cattle/grazing fence that has nothing to do with that parcel of land? There is millions of miles of fence seemingly random through out the bush to separate grazing areas and what not, usually no private land what so ever involved there. If you know that it is for sure private land though already I'd say ask.

mikek
11-06-2013, 12:02 PM
If you see on the map that is Private ask first. Would you want someone trespassing on your property ? Its just plain courtesy

J_T
11-06-2013, 01:24 PM
Signs and fences where the rule of the past. If it wasn't fenced or appropriately signed, the common outdoorsman had no ability to know the true status of the land. In today's world, everyone operates on the net and the information is so prevalent, there is no excuse for unknowingly trespassing. Or rather, the only excuse is, "I didn't do my homework".

If you think something is private, but your assessment is, it isn't sufficiently posted for your actions to be illegal, then you have choices and a decision to make. Choice: Perhaps asking permission will result in a favourable access permission. Decision: Screw it, I'm going in and will manage the attention and heat I take if and when I get caught.

bandit
11-06-2013, 03:59 PM
Signs and fences where the rule of the past. If it wasn't fenced or appropriately signed, the common outdoorsman had no ability to know the true status of the land. In today's world, everyone operates on the net and the information is so prevalent, there is no excuse for unknowingly trespassing. Or rather, the only excuse is, "I didn't do my homework".

Not necessarily. When I'm heading to a new area I do check online maps etc for private land before I go. But it's not possible to know in advance where exactly I might end up - that's the beauty and the adventure of hunting. And most of the places I go are far from towns and well out of cell service so not possible to check the I-phone in the middle of a hunt either. But I take your point that you general online research is so easy that there is no excuse for straying onto private land in areas you hunt regularly.

finngun
11-06-2013, 05:45 PM
i'm sure there are LOTS of Signs --stay away...private land--etc.etc.......what are not on private land..just try to keep away hunters-hikers..
some areas some signs sellers must make good money..and local people just nail them all over..private or not...:( and no phone no. or any info written
any of them..

Pete
11-06-2013, 06:49 PM
All that has to be posted is the common entry point. If the map shows that it is private it probably is.

Panic
11-06-2013, 07:17 PM
I've got 25 acres of private land...all forestry that isn't posted. Doesn't worry me if people hunt it as long as they respect it. I have a couple of neighbours that feel the same way.

Find out who owns it and ask, just in case but likelihood is they won't mind.

oldnotdead
11-06-2013, 09:15 PM
bud-aboom

Re: Non posted private land

I live in the interior where everything is fenced. A land owner has to have his land posted if he wishes to keep h assume it's owned just because there is a fence. Agricultural lands aside all un posted land is fair game in my books

It

oldnotdead
11-06-2013, 09:30 PM
I am done with this site....

Panic
11-06-2013, 11:16 PM
I am done with this site....

Lol...he didn't last long. Need to get some thicker skin to hang around in this joint....Can get rougher than a Wild West saloon in here :-D

Sofa King
11-06-2013, 11:27 PM
bud-aboom

Re: Non posted private land

I live in the interior where everything is fenced. A land owner has to have his land posted if he wishes to keep h assume it's owned just because there is a fence. Agricultural lands aside all un posted land is fair game in my books

It

that's a terrible way to think.
that's what leads to land-owners NOT allowing anyone access to their property.

bandit
11-07-2013, 02:24 PM
that's a terrible way to think.
that's what leads to land-owners NOT allowing anyone access to their property.

Try explaining that one to our friends on the island. They seem to think that the private forestry land is fair game even when gated and signed. And then they bitch and moan when the gates get reinforced so the locks can't be cut off.

11-07-2013, 03:01 PM
Shooter,,,,,, really..... Hers the deal....

It all depends on how big the buck is standing in the field when you drive by, this combined with weather anyone is watching.... If it is a fork and someone is behind you,,, just keep driving... if no one there..... Boom..... If its a 5x5 and there is two cars behind you..... Boom ...... if one is a cop, pull over and look ata a map.. wait till cop passes ..... then boom!

See its soo simple!

Ozone
11-07-2013, 03:20 PM
And then they bitch and moan when the gates get reinforced so the locks can't be cut off.

They can all be cut off.