PDA

View Full Version : Muck boots for pheasant

Cdn-Redneck
11-05-2013, 05:33 PM
I have been hunting pheasants in the LML and with walking for long periods if time in long we grass with my hiking boots (which are supposed to be waterproof) my feet get soaked. I am thinking of trying some Muck boots has anybody used them or had any luck? I have neoprene chest waders but for long periods of walking they will kill me.

xfactor
11-05-2013, 06:08 PM
I hate my muck boots, very uncomfortable to walk in. They have no arch support whatsoever.

A good pair of goretex boots does the trick for me. I like my Danners as well as my Irish setters

Good luck!

one-shot-wonder
11-05-2013, 06:15 PM
Never worn a pair of Mucks but to me they look insuffient for a jaunt of any length, I also wonder if the neoprene sides would get punctured over time.

Go with a quality pair of boots paired with a set of gaiters.......should be bone dry!

skuntor
11-05-2013, 06:25 PM
I have some and I snagged them on a stick and they ripped.

longstonec
11-05-2013, 06:48 PM
Viking orange caulk boots.

xfactor
11-05-2013, 09:36 PM
Don't get me wrong, if they are comfortable for you then great, because they certainly are dry.

Just for me they are very uncomfortable for walking.

But I agree with one shot wonder, good boots and gators are way more comfy in the long run, and dry

Cheers!

BearStump
11-06-2013, 12:20 PM
i love my Muck boots for the wet crap. Not great in the support dept. for going up and down mountains and sidehilling. they get real sweaty in the early season warm days. but for the wet marshy stuff they are awesome. a $400 set of kenetreks and some gaiters are great, but still dont do ya any good when you're standing still in 12" of water.
for your intended pupose, I would say that the Mucks are perfect.

pnbrock
11-06-2013, 01:38 PM
Irish setter rut master is what I wear very comfortable and warm.

biggyun68
11-06-2013, 09:08 PM
You can get Viking boots with normal soles instead of Caulks and these with a pair of Icelandic wool socks is the first way to go:
Next I would go with my Viberg 3/4: 1/4 Rubber bottoms with a 3/4 leather uppers, felt in soles and the Icelandic socks: coupled with rain pants and gators and you are good to go:
Third choice are my Arctic Sport muck boots with felt in sole and thick cotton socks: As long as there are no slash your Muck boot will be fine:

I did a ton of walking when I was a working in Silviculture in Logged blocks and all kinds of forests timber cruising:

Cdn-Redneck
11-11-2013, 04:26 PM
I decided to give the muck boots a try found some at Costco in the states for $134. They are the Woody Elite model. Fit very well I will have to see how they work out

Foxton Gundogs
11-12-2013, 08:49 AM
I hate my muck boots, very uncomfortable to walk in. They have no arch support whatsoever.

A good pair of goretex boots does the trick for me. I like my Danners as well as my Irish setters

Good luck!

x2 on the Mucks, I love my Irish Setter Rut Masters. Even with a bad ankle I find the support great for a pull-on. Don't waste your time with anything else for walking.

Manglinmike
11-12-2013, 04:39 PM
I have a set of Underarmour boots and I us them for pheashant hunting , they are great.

Moe.JKU
11-12-2013, 05:00 PM
I wore my friends muck boots the other day for waterfowling they are great boats. Even when we go mulie, moose, grouse, etc he uses them. And we tend to put a lot of miles on the boots. He never has a problem other than his feet getting hot, as did mine when i was treking through the swampy field.

ward
11-30-2013, 02:52 PM
I have wore Muck boots for years pheasant hunting and they have worked great.I can walk all day and my feet feel fine. In dry weather I still prefer a all leather boots, but when it's wet I will choose the Muck's. I have looked at a a lot of other brands, but I can not find them in anything but camo pattern. If I could find green Rut Masters I would try them.

Ovis17
01-10-2014, 10:39 PM
Wholesale in Langley has them...$209

REMINGTON JIM
01-10-2014, 10:52 PM
x2 on the Mucks, I love my Irish Setter Rut Masters. Even with a bad ankle I find the support great for a pull-on. Don't waste your time with anything else for walking.

I need some Rubbers ! You think or KNOW :confused: they ( Irish Setter Rut Masters) are better then the Muck Boots ? I value your answer ! :wink: RJ

biggyun68
01-11-2014, 12:15 PM
I love my Arctic Sport Muck boots and wear them even when hiking in sloppy weather - However it depends upon you foot, ankle and lower leg which boot works - try all the boots and see which one you have the most comfort in them walking around the store for 5-10 minutes:
I have friends who swear by their Irish Setters too...

I got my boots at Duncan Buckerfields for 129 plus tax

best of luck and lets us know how it turns out for you

Crab Bait
01-15-2014, 12:11 PM
I use mucks on the boat, on the quad and for hiking (often 5km+). Hunting deer, elk, moose, bears, cats, ducks and walking beaches w/ barnacles and oysters. Both hunting and fish guiding. My third pair, and they have lasted for 3 years of heavy use. Great investment for $150.00. This year (with age) my arches have given me some problems, but I went to the "Dr Scholls" stand on gizmo in Superstore which rec. some insoles. I put these in the Mucks, and I'm good to go.

They are not good for serious climbing over rock bluffs, but I have used them anyway. They are high enough, that you can cross most creeks, and with raingear on the quad, water will not splash up your legs. Tie your rainpants around your mucks with flagging, and you can cross rivers. If they get snagged, use some "shoe goo". If your feet overheat, roll the tops down to vent them. Mucks and get a Pete's shoe dryer, because your feet will sweat.

A bit cheaper if you don't get the camo ones. Buy them!! They rock!!

They are reasonably quiet for walking in, dry and warm. For coastal rednecking, they are great.

(P.S. I don't think I have ever endorsed a product before)

Ryo
01-20-2014, 11:38 AM
If you get a chance, try out a pair of Dunlops purofort boots (not the enormous roughneck boots though). I practically spend 6 months of the year in gummers and have tried many. These, with a cheap insole, are the best thing around. I routinely walk 3+ hours a day in them, no problem. And the soles aren't laminated so they don't have the 3 month failure points most boots have. Marks work wear house sometimes carries a model or two

Onesock
01-20-2014, 01:26 PM
I second the Under Armour boots. Try the UA boots and Muck boots on at the same time. UA are far superior boots

ward
01-31-2014, 01:58 PM
I second the Under Armour boots. Try the UA boots and Muck boots on at the same time. UA are far superior boots

I would like to try them if I could get them without the camo.

.270boy
02-03-2014, 10:22 AM
I've worn my Muck artic pros the last 2 winters at work, snowshoeing all day every day, and riding sleds. they are good boots, warm and dry.

albravo2
02-03-2014, 10:28 AM
Nobody has yet mentioned the importance of a good insole. Some people swear by orthodics but I find the Superfeet brand of off-the-shelf insole are just as good for my foot. They will give you the arch support you need and they make miserable boots comfortable.

I wear my Dunlop Roughneck (actually the Mark's Belkina knock-off product) for everything but really long or steep walks and love them. Warm, dry and comfortable.