PDA

View Full Version : Logan Lake to Surrey Lake area Weather

sapper
11-05-2013, 10:42 AM
Planning on being up in this area this weekend. Can anyone give a report on snow/weather conditions?

Glenny
11-05-2013, 11:01 AM
I'm here now. Up n the hills (top of Chartrand) there is easily a foot of snow. Got the quad stuck a couple times getting onto spur roads. Lower levels not so much.

mungojeerie
11-05-2013, 01:17 PM
I was up this weekend... showed up thurs night, helped a buddy with a successful cow moose hunt on friday, weather was warm area just like fall.... hunted sat & sun in 4-6" of snow... but still fairly warm.

sapper
11-05-2013, 05:03 PM
Thanks, guys. I hear there's about 6-8 inches of snow up there right now with a little more expected tomorrow. The weekend forecast looks good though.

Glenny
11-05-2013, 06:44 PM
Snowen pretty good right now. Aminals seem to be tucked in early the last while. Lots of tracks not not much sightings. Saw some does today though.

sapper
11-05-2013, 09:47 PM
Thanks, Big Glenny. Where's your base? Feel free to PM me.

Whonnock Boy
11-05-2013, 09:48 PM
You gotter' figured out do ya? :wink:

sapper
11-05-2013, 10:06 PM
You gotter' figured out do ya? :wink:
Huh? I'm failing to read between the lines. :)

Whonnock Boy
11-05-2013, 10:16 PM
Huh? I'm failing to read between the lines. :)
As in, where you are going. You seemed to be indecisive as to where you were heading this weekend. No lines to read between....

Sofa King
11-05-2013, 10:25 PM
snow started down in the valley bottom about an hour ago, so it should be snowing good up there.
check the webcams out, I go nowhere without looking at them.
the surrey lake and tunkwa ones have been down for a few days, but the helmer one shows what it's roughly like up there.

sapper
11-05-2013, 10:33 PM
As in, where you are going. You seemed to be indecisive as to where you were heading this weekend. No lines to read between....
I got ya now. Yup. We were "all over the map" for a while there. Not wanting to spend too much time driving from the Lower Mainland, trying to stick in region 3 as I already have a deer from region 8, hoping for an area that might provide both species of deer and ... before you know it, with a few days to spare, we're settled on Surrey Lake. :) Are you going to be out this weekend, Whonnock Boy?

Whonnock Boy
11-05-2013, 10:52 PM
Are you going to be out this weekend, Whonnock Boy?

Yes sir I am... Leaving Thurs. morning and coming home as late as the 16th. Good luck to you!

Glenny
11-06-2013, 11:08 AM
snow started down in the valley bottom about an hour ago, so it should be snowing good up there.
check the webcams out, I go nowhere without looking at them.
the surrey lake and tunkwa ones have been down for a few days, but the helmer one shows what it's roughly like up there.

Good call on the cams. I always use em before I hit the Coq ether way I'm going.

lineofsight
11-06-2013, 12:24 PM
Last weekend about a foot a snow, got stuck with friend's 1/2 ton in 3.5' snow drift not too far from powerlines... pushed through a good portion of the drift then ran out grip... 3 hours of digging snow out from under truck and clearing 40' path behind truck to back out of there... Going back this weekend with 3/4 ton and hi-lift jack (his bottle jack not so helpful). Saw 6 does, no bucks.

sapper
11-06-2013, 07:15 PM
Thanks for all the responses. As we get keep closer to the weekend keep them coming. I suspect this might be the most snow I've hunted in. Hopefully I'll get my rookie hunter buddy another buck after his last one, the first deer he ever shot, was taken from him.

#1fishslayer
11-06-2013, 07:21 PM
Was there today. Lots of snow. Bring chains lol.

lineofsight
11-06-2013, 09:26 PM
Snow is great - especially when return to your own tracks later and see $%()%#& fresh deer tracks inside your tracks...

Big Lew
11-06-2013, 09:45 PM
Anybody going past Mission and heading out into the snow....I have a heavy duty set of truck tire chains set up for 265x16 (plus or minus tires) you can borrow.

sapper
11-07-2013, 08:47 PM
Anyone up there today: Lac Le Jeune, Merritt, Surrey Lake, Logan Lake, Tunkwa Lake?

Sofa King
11-07-2013, 08:57 PM
Anyone up there today: Lac Le Jeune, Merritt, Surrey Lake, Logan Lake, Tunkwa Lake?

I went through that way on coq yesterday.
fresh snow.
good amount of fresh overnight last night.
it rained a fair bit right down in murt.
I went up the other way today, up the connector way.
another good amount of fresh snow.

Grousedaddy
11-07-2013, 09:10 PM
I work on lac le jeune road and i say theres no more then a foot tops up there as of today if you have 4 wheel drive you should be ok

sapper
11-08-2013, 12:15 AM
Thanks, Grousedaddy. That's reassuring.

Bushy
11-08-2013, 07:36 AM
Got a good dump last night and she's still puking out.

Folks will be getting some exercise this weekend!

swampdonkey
11-08-2013, 07:43 AM
Got a good dump last night and she's still puking out.

Folks will be getting some exercise this weekend!
Shouldn't you be out hunting 41 42

hare_assassin
11-08-2013, 08:30 AM
Snow is great - especially when return to your own tracks later and see $%()%#& fresh deer tracks inside your tracks... Happened to me last time I was out. I was following my tracks back to the truck and about 1/2 way back I noticed some fresh doe tracks that walked up to my tracks, sniffed my tracks (I assume) and then turned around and went back up to higher ground. I followed the tracks and eventually found a her bed, with tracks running away from it (I had obviously bumped her out of it due to moist, squeeky snow). So I followed those running tracks and about 30 meters away found a considerably larger bed, with some very large buck tracks galloping (not bouncing) away. I tracked the buck for about a kilometer but he was really on the move. Hoping to try again when the snow is fluffy and quiet.

hare_assassin
11-08-2013, 08:40 AM
I work on lac le jeune road and i say theres no more then a foot tops up there as of today if you have 4 wheel drive you should be ok

It's borderline, and depends a lot on tires. I wouldn't be going up past 1200m without chains in the truck.

sapper
11-08-2013, 11:47 AM
We'll definitely have chains with us. It should be an "adventure". :)
Surrey Lake is at 1500m so ...

Glenny
11-08-2013, 11:51 AM
If your going this weekend you should be hitting right. The higher you go the more tracks there is. Saw a cow on wed evening. Back home now :(

Sofa King
11-08-2013, 11:52 AM
aren't the roads pounded down by all the road hunters?
I know up the connector way, there's lots of snow, but you could drive a vw bug through the backroads they are so packed down by the constant hunter traffic.

Glenny
11-08-2013, 11:54 AM
aren't the roads pounded down by all the road hunters?
I know up the connector way, there's lots of snow, but you could drive a vw bug through the backroads they are so packed down by the constant hunter traffic.

Yes Dually you are correct. They are pounded down pretty good. Could be a little slappery coming back down. Snow tires should do fine.

Big Lew
11-08-2013, 01:19 PM
There were a couple of inquiries about borrowing my chains with one party accepting the offer after the first individual was able to find a set that specifically fit their vehicle, so the chains have been borrowed for the next week.

mariathemoose
11-10-2013, 06:47 PM
I just came back hunting about 30 min higher past Tunkwa Lake on Fri. Nov 8. Lots of snow and roads are a sheet of ice. Bring chains if you have them its dangerous in there right now. Lots of guys getting stuck and/or sliding into the banks off the road where the logging trucks are hauling up there.