PDA

View Full Version : Action Cam Whitetail Hunting

BearSupreme
11-04-2013, 04:41 PM
Hey everyone,
I got my whitetail when I was out looking for mule deer on the weekend. I went back to the spot I had caught a nice big 4 point muley on my game cam passing through, hoping I would see him. I was walking down the spur to where my camera was, and I heard a deer bounding away up the hill from where I was walking. I could tell it was a muley from the bounding sound it was making, and then saw a muley doe just at the top of the hill. I decided to head into the area in hopes of finding more muleys. I got up to the top, didnt see the doe or any other mulies so I kept walking through the slash parallel to the road I was previously walking on. Within 10 minutes I see a buck and another deer (which turned out to be a small 2 or 3 point) butting heads a bit and walking closer to me. I knelt down and got my action cam recording and waited as both deer made their way right past me about 15 yards away. I thought he was a bit bigger judging by the length of the beams on either side. This is my second year whitetail hunting and its going to take a bit of time to judge them quickly enough. My 4 point weighed 105lbs dressed and had more fat on it than any other deer ive ever shot, so it should be a really good eater.
Hope everyone is having a great hunting season. Heres the vid of the hunt taken with my Drift HD Ghost.
Cheers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4tpRovcCxM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4tpRovcCxM

feets9
11-04-2013, 04:58 PM
Great video and nice buck! Where do you have the cam mounted?

BuckNaked
11-04-2013, 05:00 PM
Great deer! Great video!

lovemywinchester
11-04-2013, 05:01 PM
Cool! Nice buck for sure.

adriaticum
11-04-2013, 05:13 PM
Nice work man! Thanks for sharing.

Whonnock Boy
11-04-2013, 05:13 PM
Very cool. I was just yesterday looking at the GoPro's, and thinking about doing the same as you have done here. You have given me some inspiration, if not for this year, maybe next. Christmas is coming....... :-D

warren0427
11-04-2013, 05:18 PM
Very cool video man. Thanks for sharing.

BearSupreme
11-04-2013, 05:23 PM
Great video and nice buck! Where do you have the cam mounted?

I made a head strap with a band around the bottom of my hat and then a supporting strap from the plastic camera clip over my head to the other side. It stays really stable and is pretty comfortable. I got the strap from an old inflatable hunting seat I had that no longer holds air.

Heres a picture from my game cam of it. It may look a bit ridiculous, but the deer aren't laughing at me... lol

http://s1301.photobucket.com/user/BearSupreme/media/me11_zpsc9b560c4.jpg.html

BRrooster
11-04-2013, 05:27 PM
A great day in the woods for sure. Good on ya.

d6dan
11-04-2013, 05:44 PM
Good vid and good buck man. Thanks for taking us along...:-D

Cyrus
11-04-2013, 05:59 PM
great vid thanks for sharing, looks like a big body on that guy!

RayHill
11-04-2013, 06:15 PM
That's a sweet cam.. I gotta pick one of those up!

BuckEye
11-04-2013, 06:37 PM
Great video and very nice buck. Bought my kid a goPro with alterior motives. Will be looking for a mount method too. The bike handlbar mounts affix to the barrel of a gun, but video would be tough to watch aside from final moments before shot. Your looks good, almost like a headlamp setup. We get to see what you see this way. do you activate the camera with a hand held remote or reach up and button push ?
Curious..Any reason for the drag first, field dress later vs opposite.
Thanks for posting it.

Sofa King
11-04-2013, 07:18 PM
awesome.

I have a gopro with the chest-harness.
it gives more of a fps feel, like call of duty.
I was going to use it for my hunts, but it's acting up.
I like your set-up, and that unit is a lot sleeker than the gopro.
looks like you are wearing a large Bluetooth.

Blainer
11-04-2013, 07:19 PM
Very much enjoyed that!
nice buck
tfs

BearSupreme
11-04-2013, 07:19 PM
Great video and very nice buck. Bought my kid a goPro with alterior motives. Will be looking for a mount method too. The bike handlbar mounts affix to the barrel of a gun, but video would be tough to watch aside from final moments before shot. Your looks good, almost like a headlamp setup. We get to see what you see this way. do you activate the camera with a hand held remote or reach up and button push ?
Curious..Any reason for the drag first, field dress later vs opposite.
Thanks for posting it.

Ya the mounting of the Drift was one of the kickers for me. The gopro is limited in mounting as far as I saw, and the accessories are all pretty expensive. I use the remote to start and stop video with this camera and it works really well. There is virtually no lag between the two, and I charge the remote only after I charge the camera 3-4 times. The battery life is really good, I can get just under 3 hours of recording for a charge.
The things I dont like about the camera is that it is really bad in low light and the pictures are pretty grainy in any light. I dont mind about the pictures, I have a camcorder that takes good pictures and fits in my pocket, but if you are looking to record early morning or late evening hunts with it, you wont be impressed.

I didnt gut the deer right away because I had a long drag, about 200 yards and I didnt want to dirty it up. Plus I wanted to keep the liver, and I could drag the deer out like it was.

BearSupreme
11-04-2013, 07:22 PM
awesome.

I have a gopro with the chest-harness.
it gives more of a fps feel, like call of duty.
I was going to use it for my hunts, but it's acting up.
I like your set-up, and that unit is a lot sleeker than the gopro.
looks like you are wearing a large Bluetooth.

lol ya its totally like a first person shooter! kinda reminds me of those Big Game Hunter video games, except all the animals you see arent charging at you. I heard the newer GoPro is pretty buggy, im surprised they havent sorted out the kinks yet..

Sitkaspruce
11-04-2013, 09:23 PM
Cool hunt thanks for sharing!!

I am looking at this one, the SpyPoint Xcell, come with a bow and gun holder. Biggest thing I have heard about all these cams (GoPro, Xcell, Action etc.) is that the game needs to be within 20-30 yards to be seen as they have a WA lens.

http://www.spypoint.com/EN/products/video-cameras/XCEL-HD.php

Thank again

Cheers

SS

BearSupreme
11-04-2013, 09:33 PM
Ya I lucked out on this deer, it was probably only 15 yards away and its still not very clear. I had the point of view at 127º, I could set it to 90º but it gets a bit narrow and cuts out some good stuff. Its promising to see more and more companies getting into the action cam market. I just checked out some stuff on the new Garmin VIRB. That looks pretty interesting too for those who want a GPS as well.

steel_ram
11-04-2013, 09:54 PM
Cool vid. One tip, it's easier to drag the deer the other way.

PS. I don't mean away from the road, I mean drag it head first by the antlers.

boxhitch
11-05-2013, 12:06 AM
Nice buck , nice vid
A local shop has the HD model on at $279 , but the Ghost does have more features, for another hun or so

kennyj
11-05-2013, 12:29 AM
Nice buck, very cool video.
kenny

Looking_4_Jerky
11-05-2013, 01:23 AM
Love that action cam, dude! Good work. Looks tasty from this angle!!

BearSupreme
11-05-2013, 04:28 AM
Cool vid. One tip, it's easier to drag the deer the other way.

PS. I don't mean away from the road, I mean drag it head first by the antlers.

lol ive pulled them by the antlers before but I find they keep sticking me in the legs unless I walk backwards the whole way. Definitely the best to go antlers first with two people.

BearBalls
11-06-2013, 06:29 PM
Awesome video, I love the view you got on your camera. I wanted to put one on my gun but with the kick you wouldnt see much and then after you would have to hold it in the direction of the animal. Nice white tail, thanks for posting and congrats!

butthead
11-06-2013, 08:00 PM
what was the other white tail with that one buck or doe

BearSupreme
11-06-2013, 08:07 PM
what was the other white tail with that one buck or doe

He was a smaller 2, maybe 3 point buck

treehugger
11-06-2013, 09:15 PM
Good stalk man! Right place at the right time when he did step out... awesome vid. Thanks for sharing

Brez
11-07-2013, 07:56 AM
great vid! I agree, it felt like I was in a hunting game. Gotta get me one of those cameras. Very nice one-shot kill. Congrats

BigfishCanada
11-07-2013, 08:24 AM
That is soooo awesome, LOVE that video, after watching im not sure if I can work tomorrow? May need to hit the hills

BearSupreme
11-07-2013, 10:19 PM
That is soooo awesome, LOVE that video, after watching im not sure if I can work tomorrow? May need to hit the hills

I thought for a second he was going to walk right through, my trigger was sticking. I guess this means I need to take better care of my guns. Im glad it worked out!