PDA

View Full Version : Lower mainland boat hunting

Aheny
11-04-2013, 12:25 PM
In my search for some decent deer hunting where I dont have to drive to Merritt, I picked up an aluminum boat to check out the local lakes/inlets. After figuring out which Provincial Parks allow hunting, I started with Pitt Lake, heading up and looking for some decent terrain to climb. Does anyone else hunt this way down here, and have you had much success? I climbed several ridges but didnt notice any deer sign, although there were lots of tracks at the head of Pitt Lake.

takla1
11-04-2013, 12:46 PM
hey there,some very good hunting at the back of stave if you go up the river a ways.you will need 12-14 ft aluminum and at least a 10 hrs short leg ,I used a Honda 15 4 stroke to go back there and you have to pick your weather days as the lake comes up quickly with bad weather.last time in there I came around a bend in the upper river about 3-4 miles in and there were 10-15 BT right on the river bank.I don't know how much logging has been done the last few yrs but there is a road that heads up north from the end of the lake and basically skirts the river inland.Lots of bear as well

Aheny
11-04-2013, 01:12 PM
I have a 24' campion sunbridge sedan, but I dont enjoy using it unless its for a planned family outing, the gas bill doesnt go well with casual trips, so I picked up a 14' Kodiak aluminum and trailer from over the line. For now I have my 9.9 4 stroke merc on it, but I plan on picking up something in the 20-40 range, mostly depends on what kind of deal I can get. Who knows, maybe the right guy will swap me a decent outboard for my big boat (it even has a 2000 electric start 4 stroke 9.9 bigfoot on it, with helm controls.)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qzvps6zksvgaach/tin%20boat.jpg

I'm definitely going to check out Stave, at least in areas away from road access and golden ears park (no hunting), and I also plan on checking the head of indian arm.

Bpower
11-04-2013, 01:19 PM
There is some logging going on at the end of Stave as well as a construction camp for a hydro electric project up there. Might not be as quiet as you would prefer.

TexasWalker
11-04-2013, 01:45 PM
There is some logging going on at the end of Stave as well as a construction camp for a hydro electric project up there. Might not be as quiet as you would prefer.
x2 got turned around by the logging company at shore last week!!

Aheny
11-04-2013, 01:59 PM
Yeah, while I plan on checking out Stave one day, the presence of little Baghdad and the massive population of recreational shooters makes me want to avoid the area as much as possible. I can imagine the deer would get fed up and just leave the entire area.

takla1
11-04-2013, 02:03 PM
ya no deer there;] BETTER TO LOOK ELSEWHERE

adriaticum
11-04-2013, 02:14 PM
[QUOTE=Aheny;1409374the massive population of recreational shooters makes me want to avoid the area as much as possible. I can imagine the deer would get fed up and just leave the entire area.[/QUOTE]

That seems to be the case for the entire LML.

Aheny
11-04-2013, 02:46 PM
Thats actually exactly why I bought the little boat adria LOL

Trying to get to places where it takes more effort than a truck drive and a short hike, hoping it reduces the pressure from other people

adriaticum
11-04-2013, 03:34 PM
Thats actually exactly why I bought the little boat adria LOL

Trying to get to places where it takes more effort than a truck drive and a short hike, hoping it reduces the pressure from other people

Recently when I went for a drive in the mountains of LML I thought about the importance of gun ranges, especially in LML.
I was amazed by all the gun fire in the mountains.
If we had a decent number of ranges with 500m targets or more there probably wouldn't be as much shooting in the mountains and as much garbage.
Largest municipality in LML (Surrey) doesn't even have a range and does not allow discharge of firearms anywhere in the city.
So they are banning firearms discharge everywhere except in approved facilities of which they provide NONE.
It's time we challenge this stupid bylaw.
Delta is half the size of Surrey, yet they have plenty of hunting areas.

One thing I noticed is that for the bylaw purposes they do not include bows and crossbows as the firearms.
So you can theoretically hunt with a bow in Surrey and Delta.

Barracuda
11-04-2013, 05:07 PM
I think you will find that the majority of abusers of the back woods are there not because they don't have access to a range but rather it is because they cant act like dummies on the range like they do in the bush. As for the 500yard + shooters in the bush I would say they are the rarity and normally would not intentionally leave something behind like the typical mouth breathers slobs that leave the place a pigsty.

as to the original poster get to the end of stave and there is some amazing wilderness to enjoy, watch for the Elk along the river which are really cool , considering how close it is to the lower mainland there are pretty good numbers of game animals in there with low pressure.

cfree
11-04-2013, 08:29 PM
I was thinking of boat hunting as well, have you been up Harrison Lake?

Aheny
11-05-2013, 07:26 PM
Not yet but I'm definitely interested in checking it out, and I always welcome relaxed ethical hunters if someone wants to come along and doesn't mind hiking.

I'm in cranbrook working/hunting for the next 10 Days though, just put in my first day of work, followed by A pleasant stalk of a small herd of mule does. No bucks today but definitely my idea of a successful first afternoon

ruger#1
11-05-2013, 08:05 PM
I was thinking of boat hunting as well, have you been up Harrison Lake?
Long Island has lots of deer on it. Trees were very thick when I was there about 20 years ago. Maybe they logged it a bit.

browningboy
11-05-2013, 10:14 PM
Choose your spots wisely, in a small open craft some of the lakes mentioned blow up harshly in the afternoons, just be aware

howa1500
11-06-2013, 10:50 AM
I too was thinking of taking the old boat for a ride...

I figured top of the Pitt, top of the Stave.

However I'm not familiar with either bodies of water or what's at the top end.

From what I have just read, the top of the Stave is not great becuase of logging/Hydro?

How long of a ride?

I'm rocking a deep 12' with a 15hp

ruger#1
11-06-2013, 11:10 AM
About an hour and a half. Watch out for dead heads. Good fishing at the north end where the upper river comes in. High waves are a bitch. I used to take my 14' with a 8 horse honda. Lots of bear track. Lots of logging roads if you have a quad. Catherwoods used to use a barge to take equipment up to the camp. An old friend of mine was part owner of the camp, He sold his half. Get some guys together and see if you can get the barge up.

limit time
11-06-2013, 12:30 PM
I too was thinking of taking the old boat for a ride...

I figured top of the Pitt, top of the Stave.

However I'm not familiar with either bodies of water or what's at the top end.

From what I have just read, the top of the Stave is not great becuase of logging/Hydro?

How long of a ride?

I'm rocking a deep 12' with a 15hp
I camp by boat for seven days every year at the end of stave, I have a 18' foot boat. It takes a good 45 min to get to the end with 150HP. I've also had times when the lake would blow up!! IMO, I wouldn't want to be in a 12 footer that far back this time of year. But, life's an adventure...good luck!
The dead heads are the worst from the launch to the landing ramp for the barges. Once in open water, it is deep. Just watch for a constant flow of debris from the active logging. If you have a marine radio you should be able to radio the camp.
Stave is my all time favourite lake!

whiteraven
11-08-2013, 02:57 PM
Long islands is thicker than alot of peoples heads. odd couger good trail out of long island bay another good trail just past long island bay just past long island bay goes up to a lake . Good news if you get lost and people do on there keep walking youl hit water. woodticks are your friend in summer and fall place is full of them . enjoy

BCBear
11-09-2013, 04:05 AM
The end of Pitt is good for BT. Throw a mountain bike in the boat and you'll be right past the logging setup in about 5-10 minutes. Some guys have barged old beaters over and parked them along the shoreline for when they boat over. The fsr is fairly even grade and the deer are good. Never tried to pedal a bike with a deer in a pack or panniers but who knows? Be mindful of the weather on Pitt if you're in a little craft. Good Luck

howa1500
11-09-2013, 11:21 AM
Great info! Thanks

tribal
11-19-2013, 09:59 PM
Thinking about hunting Long Island- is it to dense there to get any decent shots. I know in the summer they were doing some logging on the east side, is that going to be my best bet?