PDA

View Full Version : Car camping in the snow

bone
11-03-2013, 10:31 PM
Thinking of heading out next weekend in MU-12. Just wondering if anyone ever car camps in the snow? Will I freeze if I have a -12 sleeping bag in the car?

I plan on doing the hot water in a bottle trick before bed. Wear toque, wool socks, long underwear. Anyone got any tips?

keoke
11-03-2013, 10:36 PM
I stuffed two sleeping bags inside each other and slept in the back seat of my truck and I was sweating, it was -15. The worst part is sticking an arm out of the bag to fire up the truck to get it warm inside.

500grhollowpoint
11-03-2013, 10:46 PM
Isn't car camping for homeless people?

BuckEye
11-03-2013, 10:50 PM
The worst part is sticking an arm out of the bag to fire up the truck to get it warm inside.
Remote start keyfob in bag with you would solve that one :)

RayHill
11-03-2013, 11:00 PM
Thinking of heading out next weekend in MU-12. Just wondering if anyone ever car camps in the snow? Will I freeze if I have a -12 sleeping bag in the car?

I plan on doing the hot water in a bottle trick before bed. Wear toque, wool socks, long underwear. Anyone got any tips?

I do this on every solo trip out. I did it last night at 2000 feet in the mountains.

I will tell you everything you have to know about sleeping in the truck.

The sleeping bag is good but you need more then that. You should wear all wool or synthetics. no cotton ever you will freeze! Wool socks a must! The good kind. Your feet are going to get cold first and that isn't going to be fun. Bring pillows to stuff into the hole between the seat and the door it will widen out a place to sleep. Use polyester blankets to keep your head supported this is a big thing because your head / neck will get kinked with just a car seat. Use two more blankets to wrap your feet and body in, then get into your sleeping bag.

It will get real cold at about 1 am and you don't want to to wake up because your feet are frozen. So get ready so your not waking up mid night.

Crack one window on the other side of where you are going to be sleeping a quarter inch and your good..

Big Lew
11-03-2013, 11:01 PM
Depends on how cold it gets. In extreme conditions (-25 to -35 and lower) it is better to make your bed on the ground using an appropriate arctic sleeping bag and insulated ground blanket (an opened old sleeping bag on top of a ground sheet works) or making a bough bed. You want to avoid being encased in cold-conducting uninsulated steel that's off the ground which allows the wind and cold to attack you from the bottom as well as the sides and top. I almost lost my brother one time near Nations River because he insisted in sleeping in the cab of my truck rather than on the ground in the snow. It was -35 or lower. I dug down in the snow, put an old opened sleeping bag down on top of a ground sheet, and then climbed into my arctic bag. I slept quite comfortably. My brother bundled up inside his arctic bag in the cab. When I got up he was non-responsive and couldn't speak. Fortunately my truck was fully winterized and started without problems so I got some heat in the cab while I rubbed circulation back into him and made him move. Had I slept much longer he would have frozen to death. He suffered terribly for hours that day.

Sofa King
11-03-2013, 11:26 PM
by "car", do you mean truck?
or actually car?
how far up are you getting in your car?
I used to hunt up stump in my scirocco in the late season.
would make it half up the hill at the start of the trees, park on the side once I spun out, and hoof it up higher from there.

take a coleman heater, crack a window, and sleep like a baby.
oh, and pics to show us later.

One Shot
11-04-2013, 12:21 AM
My suggestion is to get out of the car and sleep in a tent or shelter as it will be warmer. The steel in the car will suck all the heat out of the car's cabin fast and retain more humidity in the cabin than in a tent.

GreatWhitePopogeebo
11-04-2013, 04:19 AM
That's an easy one. Car camps outside holiday inn.

boxhitch
11-04-2013, 06:41 AM
shelter as it will be warmer.and a lot less restrictive
cheap used tent , canvas tarp , even vapour barrier poly all work. Just make sure you are insulated from the ground.

caddisguy
11-04-2013, 08:03 AM
I often car/jeep camp on one nighters so I don't have to spend time setting up and tearing down. I am able to sleep comfortably in a 2 door wrangler w/ softtop. I just push the passenger seat forward and sleep from there to the drivers side rear wheel well. It gives about 6.5'... enough to stretch the legs out, at least until you try to roll over.

Most important thing is insulation, otherwise you may as well be sleeping in a tin can. If you're on a seat, that's an ok start, but add whatever insulation you have room for. I tried sleeping in the drivers seat once and was fairly insulated, but very uncomfortable and too vertical, so I stick with the least insulted place... the box.

I use a 6'x2'x2" foam mattress winter sleeping bag, wear layers of warm clothing starting with long johns. Warm socks, toque and something with a warm hood are important. Don't touch any part of the car or anything not insulated with any part of your body. It will conduct the heat right out of you.

If I have a fire, I will heat up some rocks, softball size or slightly bigger and wrap a couple in towels. They should be hot, but not hot enough to melt/char the towel. I tie them off good and keep them in the bag with me. They stay toasty all night, but be careful if you go this route as you can seriously injure yourself.

Just remember that other than being out of the wind, you may as well be outside so insulate yourself and dress accordingly.

hickman
11-04-2013, 08:17 AM
There are overbags that will improve the temperature rating of you sleeping bag by up to 10 Celsius and they are water-proof. I use it all the time in winter for my -7 bag. If you have a pickup with canopy, get a $20 inflatable mattress from Canadian Tire. Without canopy you can rig something up with a tarp. I have camped in the alpine in winter many times. If it gets colder than -15, I suggest serious gear...

BCKyle
11-04-2013, 08:35 AM
ANother thing worth considering is a $30 army issue wool blanket. Army surplus should have 'em, just make sure they are 100% wool or close to it. try adding it to your sleeping bag on the inside if you want more warmth. It's a good safety item to have in your car anyway, any time you might be stranded in the winter; it'll help you keep warm even when wet and if you're car camping you aren't worried too much about extra weight/bulk.
I've been doing some camping under just a light tarp lately and even on nights where it freezes the puddles fairly hard i've been ok with wearing a stanfield merino onesie, moderate weight wool pants and my stannie inside this setup. On a therma-rest of course.

BCKyle
11-04-2013, 08:38 AM
I should mention: my sleeping bag is not that great; it used to be a -5 C MEC bag but I have had it for 12 years and have spent over 500 nights in it so it is pretty worn and doesn't have the loft it used to.

longstonec
11-04-2013, 08:40 AM
I always pre heat a thermos with boiling water, and then fill with coffee. Black. or tea, as it stays the hottest longest. then first thing in am is guzzle acouple mugs of skin melting hot tea or coffee. If its colder then minus 13 I will sleep somewhere else on a nice insulated thermarest type pad.

One piece stanfield is also key.

quadrakid
11-04-2013, 08:51 AM
Woods Five Star Sleeping Bag,thats the ticket.

one-shot-wonder
11-04-2013, 08:55 AM
Woods Five Star Sleeping Bag,thats the ticket.

I have used mine on a sheep hunt sleeping in the canopy of the truck.....no need to worry as the thing is rated for like -40 or something!? I slept like a baby

cuervosail
11-04-2013, 09:17 AM
I regularly camp out in the back of my RAV 4. Make sure you open windows on either side of the vehicle - about an inch or so. If you're the type of person who needs to get up in the middle of the night to take a leak, you might want to consider keeping an empty apple juice bottle nearby. I've always found it's less of a hassle (and much warmer) to pee in a bottle than it is to get in and out of the sleeping bag, put something on your feet, open the door, etc. etc. Just make sure you put the lid back on the bottle tightly and don't mistake it the next day for apple juice!

coach
11-04-2013, 09:22 AM
Not sure why you would want to sleep in the car instead of a tent. If you take the time to set your tent up well - even set up a tarp over it to keep snow from piling up, you should be good and warm. I bought a moving blanket at MTF for under $10. It works great on the tent floor for insulation under my sleeping mat. The bigger concern this time of year is making sure your car can get around in the snow. After pushing snow with the bumper of my truck the last couple days I can't imagine anyone getting around with a car. Our area went from zero snow to over a foot in 48 hours. Make sure you don't get yourself into a place you can't get out of. Pack a shovel, chains, etc. I usually like to pack some dry firewood and plenty of food and water as well. Just in case..

Good luck on your hunt.

rides bike to work
11-04-2013, 09:36 AM
Just bring a big Jerry can of gas and let the car run through the night my buddy does it all the time

bone
11-04-2013, 10:45 AM
By car I mean SUV - toyota rav4. Space isn't an issue since in took out the back seats. I'm worried about heat and moisture. I do use 2 blue camp foam under for sleeping so I'm not touching the bare metal.
I was thinking of using a candle/lantern with the windows cracked so I don't die from CO2, but worried that might not be smart.

caddisguy
11-04-2013, 10:58 AM
By car I mean SUV - toyota rav4. Space isn't an issue since in took out the back seats. I'm worried about heat and moisture. I do use 2 blue camp foam under for sleeping so I'm not touching the bare metal.
I was thinking of using a candle/lantern with the windows cracked so I don't die from CO2, but worried that might not be smart.

I think the candle/lantern is a really bad idea. Stick with insulation, lots of clothing, hot waterbottles/rocks/pocket-warmers or whatever. Windows should be open a crack for sure regardless.

hare_assassin
11-04-2013, 11:02 AM

Carbon dioxide (CO2) can be dealt with easily with decent ventilation. The real killer is CO (carbon monoxide). Passive ventilation (leaving windows open a bit) may not be adequate.

Also, with (paraffin) candles you need to be aware that they create soot much like diesel fumes, containing various toxins. Not a good idea at all (no to mention open flame is just a bad idea any way you look at it).

Any of these things are safe enough to warm things up before hitting the sack, but I would shut it down before bed and just rely on a good sleeping bag and a toque. I'd rather wake up cold than not wake up at all.

BRvalley
11-04-2013, 11:33 AM
sleeping in the truck when stuck or didn't plan to over night is one thing...have spent many, many nights in my truck, sleeping bag, blanket, candle and window cracked, no problem at all, but I'm an easy sleeper....just turn the truck on for 30 mins if you wake up cold....I don't think anywhere in BC is going to have -20 or worse next weekend

but if you are planning an overnight trip, just bring a tent

steel_ram
11-04-2013, 11:39 AM
Been there, done that. Long nights this time of year. Slept fine but waking up with frost on the inside of the windows sucks.

604redneck
11-04-2013, 11:52 AM
Sleep in a tent and bring a dog with u lol they heat the tent for u

Jagermeister
11-04-2013, 11:55 AM
I think that it would be a nicer sleep if you just built a lean-to out of boughs. I have used these in the past and prefer them over a tent. I like them because you're protected from the back and it is hard to get trapped in a lean-to. http://www.wikihow.com/Build-a-Lean-to-Using-Two-Trees
You could substitute a tarp for the boughs and use the boughs for a sleeping pad. (You want to insulate your body from the ground or the car floor metal as these will suck heat from you fast than a vampire will drain you of yur blood.)
Skirt the sides so the wind is warded off. Build a rock fire pit in front but not close enough to ignite your lean-to. With a fire burning, it will ward off un-wanted guest like cats and dogs.
And if you have a loyal dog, take it along. It will snuggle up and transfer some heat to you unless it is chihuahua size and coat.
Your -12 bag is too lite by itself. You will want to stuff some additional blankets or quilt for cover. Wearing a toque is very smart, most body heat loss is through the head. Long johns are good and a light micro fleece top will keep the shoulders warm from the influx of cold air through the bag opening. You can get micro fleece socks too and they work like a hot damm in the bag, might be too warm in which case you can take them off. I like to wear socks just incase I have to vacate the bag in a hurry, I don't want my bare feet on the ground.
When you are aware that you are cold, it's time to get warmed up. Shivering is the sign that hypothermia is not far off. Have more warm type clothing that you can layer on. Make sure that you have the makings of a fire close at hand so that you do not have to search for fire material. Those BBQ fire starter bricks are right handy when you are fumbling around trying to ignite a fire.
A word about sleeping bags. I do not like mummy bags. It's a personal thing. To me, they're too confining, trapping you. Like a kolbasa in a cellophane wrap. I use an oversized bag, one that I can pull over my head if I need and large enough that I can pop out of like toothpaste out of a tube.
Anyhow, however you do it, stay warm.

Sofa King
11-04-2013, 11:56 AM
way too much thought being put into sleeping.
better to apply that to the hunt.
take extra blankets and clothing, and hunt/hike hard so that you'll be exhausted and snoring like a locomotive in no time.

Salty
11-04-2013, 12:23 PM
Just bring a big Jerry can of gas and let the car run through the night my buddy does it all the time

Bad plan. Big time. On a nice new car with everything working probably OK, one exhaust leak or wind blowing exhaust back in to an open window or heater intake and it could be your last night. Many people have died this way and lots not on purpose.

I've slept in vehicles quite a bit including one night where the cop that woke me up in a lay by by Clinton informed me it was minus 43 and he was sure he was going to be pulling out a stiff. Cold weather bag, foamy underneath, 3 or 4 wool bankets on the foamy then set up the bag. Another blanket over top. Wore all clothes including long underwear and toque. Woke up once in a while with the blanket freezing to my face other than that I was fine.. (Gas line froze up on an all nighter back home to PG from Van)

Rackem
11-04-2013, 12:49 PM
I lived out of the back of my Ford Ranger for two summers. I have done overnighters in it but the coldest was -15 C. I usually tented next to the truck but have slept in the back (it had a canopy) with a foamy in the box, a sleeping bag and a down duvet, pillows...like a little bedroom in there. I was never cold, but I was wearing merino wool long johns under the sleeping bag. Never needed any heat sources. I have done snow cave in really cold weather, works great. Toasty in there, but you do need a chimney when you build it.

adriaticum
11-04-2013, 01:02 PM
Just dress warm and have good sleeping bags. Open windows a bit if you can to prevent condensation. You can always drape a tarp over the car to be able to open windows and not get any wind or snow inside.
You will be just fine.

Moe.JKU
11-04-2013, 01:08 PM
If you are comfortable sleeping in your vehicle then sure. I sleep in the back of my 4 door jeep with back seats folded down. Works good for hunting or fishing both sat and sunday without much effort. keep window cracked and i use a -30 browning bag and i'm warm.

caddisguy
11-04-2013, 01:30 PM
If you are comfortable sleeping in your vehicle then sure. I sleep in the back of my 4 door jeep with back seats folded down. Works good for hunting or fishing both sat and sunday without much effort. keep window cracked and i use a -30 browning bag and i'm warm.

I'm a jeep sleeper from Langley too. 2 door, backseats removed and in storage. It's like a tent on wheels and you don't have to worry about packing up wet tent/tarps. My gf is going to join me in the jeep nest this weekend. Haven't tried, but I think it's doable, without either of us having to scrunch our legs... we'll see. I'll be in the LML around 600-800 meter elevation, I'm guessing a low of 0-3C for that elevation, so as long as we're in dry clothes we should be pretty cozy.

hawk-i
11-04-2013, 01:56 PM
I sleep in my ford 350 crew cab often when solo hunting...In cold weather I put two sleeping bags under the one I'm sleeping in and wear a hoodie that I pull over my head. Been down to -25c and slept comfortably!

panhead
11-04-2013, 02:00 PM
Did that many moons ago ... remember polishing off a 40 pounder with a bud and crashing in his 57 Chev for the night. Before we passed out I put the empty bottle on the roof, in the morning it was frozen there. Had to drive around until it thawed out as we didn't want to damage the paint ... oh to be young again ... well maybe not ...

Ubertuber
11-04-2013, 07:23 PM
A gen set, an extension cord, and an electric heater. :)

sailpunk
11-05-2013, 09:56 AM
A gen set, an extension cord, and an electric heater. :)

Don't laugh I have done this before with a borrowed honda genset and a marine grade electric heater. It will be short and t-shirt weather in there while you watch a movie on a laptop and fry up dinner on a hotplate.

As for straight up car camping I have a Jeep JK (4-door) and with the seats laid down and a good insulation I have been quite comfortable. Cracking the window a little keeps the condensation down. I do have a -30 Mummy bag though with a fleece linder and where a touque and am wearing good thrermals and socks. If you are missing good sleeping gear its not going to be fun at those temps.

On a side note I perfer my jeep to my tent in a windy scenario.

On a further side note I prefer a proper outdoor sleeping hammock to a tent (Remember you still need an insulating pad in cold temps with these.