PDA

View Full Version : Finally! WT buck down!

Hodaka
11-03-2013, 02:06 PM
So, a few years back I decided to pick up hunting. I have been on hunts when I was a kid (25+ yrs back), but never got into it myself. (Other than gopher control on the grandparents farm)
First season: I got some elk meat for helping with my friends LEH cow, but no chance at anything for myself.
Second season: absolutely skunked! Didn't even see a legal animal, except some turkeys on private land.
Third season (this year): Got a couple nice grouse, but having trouble coming up with much else. Seeing animals, just nothing that's legal/in season.
Then I got a hot tip! Small piece of private land, with at least 3 bucks and 4-5 does!
We scouted it last weekend, and made a plan, then went in yesterday morning. Bow/x-bow only, as houses are nearby.
We stealthed through the bush for an hour and half or so, then finally spotted a buck. No clear shot, so let it move off, and followed at a distance to await a better opportunity. Several other possibilities, but nothing quite right, then we lost it. We moved up to a vantage point to see if we could acquire again, soaked and cold. I was on top of one large rock, my brother in law on another about 40 yards away.
At one point, I heard a noise about 30 yards off, but could not see anything. I threw a stick in the general direction, but nothing. Then, a few minutes later, buck! I pulled the range finder out - 34 yards. The furthest I have shot with my compound is 30, so I wanted him to close the gap a bit. Nevertheless, I drew as he turned quartering. He looked right at me, unconcerned, but turned head on. I let down the draw. After a few moments, he quartered again, and I drew again and held. He turned head on again, and stared right into my eyes, then put his head down and ate some more. I let down the draw again. Again, after a moment he turned - this time broadside! I quickly and quietly drew again, by this point he was about 30 yards, slight downhill angle. Placed the pin, and released.
I saw the lighted nock fly towards him, then disappear. He jumped a little, startled, and cantered off, then switched back a little lower down the slope and went down. Done! We waited about 15 minutes, then walked down to find him. Entry was left side, just nicked the bottom of the backstrap, and exit was mid opposite side - both lungs.
Later, when butchering, we discovered the arrow had gone through a rib on the way in, blasted a nice exit, and I could not find the arrow! Completely buried in the ground somewhere. It also hit a major artery, so he bled out fast.

I am so happy that my first big game kill was with a compound bow, a fairly long shot for me, and was taken cleanly. At no point did we spook him, and he was not stressed. We estimate about 180 lbs on the hoof, 3 pointer. Really healthy looking, living in an area with plenty of food and no hunter pressure.

Darksith
11-03-2013, 02:13 PM
right on, congrats, but I don't believe you without a picture ;)

Ambush
11-03-2013, 02:27 PM
Congratulations, that's awesome!!

You painted a very good picture already with your narrative.

And for interests sake, a gear list? Bow, draw length, poundage, arrow specs, broadhead?

Redneck Rocket
11-03-2013, 02:34 PM
Congrats!!

Hodaka
11-03-2013, 04:08 PM
Pics coming.
PSE Stinger 3G, set at 45 (IIRC). Don't remember my draw length. G5 Montec SS 100 gr on Sniper 200 shafts. I also upgraded the sight to a TruGlo Carbon XS - awesome for the $$, IMO.

HarryToolips
11-03-2013, 04:31 PM
Congrats man! Nothin is easy with a bow!

Hodaka
11-03-2013, 10:25 PM
Pic is in my gallery. Can't figure out how to post it in thread from my iPad right now.

coach
11-03-2013, 11:22 PM
Well done! Looking forward to the pics.

Sofa King
11-03-2013, 11:33 PM
very cool.
congrats.

Sundance1972
11-04-2013, 06:27 AM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/image94.jpg

Hope you don't mind me putting your pic up from the gallery. Just learned how to do it.
Nice buck, BTW!!

5 spike
11-04-2013, 06:34 AM
Nice lookin buck congrats.

Muliechaser
11-04-2013, 06:50 AM
A whitey with a bow is braggin rights . Especially your first one. Right on congrats!!!

Mc

Knute
11-04-2013, 06:51 AM
Congrats, could feel your excitement in the way you related the whole experience. :)

Nice looking buck, good for you for getting back into hunting, I'm in the same boat, my second season and leaving Wed. to see if I can find some success.

You'll feel the urge to revisit that piece of property soon I'm thinking!

Dirty30-30
11-04-2013, 06:54 AM
Looks like it was a little wet out, good work with the bow!!

Hodaka
11-04-2013, 09:09 AM
Thanks Sundance- way too tired to figure it out last night.

Dirty30-30: yes, was +2 or so, and raining the whole morning. For the most part, I didn't feel cold until it was time to clean and quarter. Although, right after he went down I realized how cold my left had was from being curled around the bow for 3 hrs!

Hodaka
11-04-2013, 09:41 AM
BTW, wanted to throw out a thanks to Kenny at P&R Archery for setting me up with all my gear, and encouraging me!

Stéphane
11-04-2013, 09:41 AM
Just awesome! I love the story, and of course it's bow hunting, so I was glued to your every word. Thanks for sharing this great first experience. I am so motivated this year, and people like you keep the fire burning high.

greybark
11-04-2013, 09:52 AM
Hey Hodaka , Well done and am impressed with your mental discipline . They come easier after the first one , again well done...
Cheers

Hodaka
11-04-2013, 10:01 AM
Thanks everyone! Appreciate the encouragement greybark.