PDA

View Full Version : rosie draw eggmont/sechelt

stixnstones
11-03-2013, 11:52 AM
just found out a really good buddy has a rosie draw and wants me to go. I know its last minute but any info would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Whonnock Boy
11-03-2013, 11:54 AM
Must not be a "really good buddy" if you just found out..... :wink: Wish I could help you out.

Mauser98
11-03-2013, 01:07 PM
Hunt around the Malaspina Substation north of Kleindale. Or above Halfmoon Bay. Make sure you read the regs for no-shooting boundaries.

I'm assuming it's a rifle hunt.

stixnstones
11-03-2013, 01:22 PM
he was away in china for work . he is a good buddy.

Stillhunting
11-03-2013, 03:05 PM
Yep, look around powerline cut off the Malaspina Substation Rd.

stixnstones
11-03-2013, 03:07 PM
Yep, look around powerline cut off the Malaspina Substation Rd.
WE are hoping for at least a 6point. Anyone know of any bigger bulls in the area?

Whonnock Boy
11-03-2013, 05:51 PM
he was away in china for work . he is a good buddy.

Oh! Well in that case then, I'll tell you what.... you get me some of his Panda honey holes, and I will tell ya where the big non-typ is. :-D

7mm
11-03-2013, 08:21 PM
menacher road theres lots of big ones around ask the locals they are good for the most part if you go up about 2 km past the house on the hill at the top of the hill the road will fork take the fork to the left under the power line then to the right. the slashes in there are nbig and hold lots of elk. best of luck to you

caves16
11-03-2013, 09:11 PM
Have your buddy call the COs in the area and ask where the big ones are. A couple years ago my husband got the rosie draw and the COs were VERY helpful. They watch the herds, fly around in helicopters and have a good idea where the dandies are. I think they are a great source of information -one officer helped me pick spots on the map, including advice about the roads, some wash outs and weather issues to be wary of. I got the sense they liked knowing what we were doing, where we were staying how long etc. We shared info that benefited us both. Got to say that the rosie hunt in that area was by FAR the hardest, wettest, nastiest hunting I have ever done. We had rivers (literally) running through our wall tent in the middle of the night it rained so hard. Quad flipped in the river, broke a scope, had a hungry bear eat the corner of the tent at night, and I had hypothermia. It wasnt even that cold. Those elk are the hardiest, most elusive animals. They live in the snottiest nastiest bush, and you gotta get in there to get them. Crazy hunt in my opinion, one I am sure you will never forget. Good luck!

Elkhound
11-04-2013, 04:54 PM
Hunt around the Malaspina Substation north of Kleindale. Or above Halfmoon Bay. Make sure you read the regs for no-shooting boundaries.

I'm assuming it's a rifle hunt.

Paul is correct. Should have no problem connecting on a great bull there

BDN9
11-11-2013, 07:50 PM
I am having trouble. Day 5 tomorrow. They are very spooky. We saw 2 bulls while walking the first morning (Malaspina Sub station). They took off at 500 yards and the wind was in my favour. I lifted my binoculars and that was all it took to spook them. Went after a bunch of elk last night in thick brush after we saw them cross the power line. Heard them everywhere but couldn't see them. This morning 9 cows ran right across the lines but no bulls. This evening heard them about 70 yards in the bush but they didn't come out. We've followed fresh sign through the bush, we've glassed miles of power lines, we've sat and waited. I'm not sure what to do. We've been in areas above half moon but no luck but mostly Malaspina area. If anyone has some advice please let me know. Thanks!

BDN9
11-11-2013, 07:59 PM
I think part of the problem is I am way late and the rut is definitely over. Not sure what to do this time of year.

BlackwaterMerc
11-11-2013, 10:35 PM
Are you kidding me. I cant seem to get away from them! I have no tag and I see them every second time I go out. I was out today, trout lake road. where it branches off to Carlson lake rd, herd of 11. two bulls. a 6x6 and a spike. I was out by 6 30 and found them crossing a clearcut close to that intersection. Homesite creek has a new clearcut as well, right above the new clearcut is a great mtn bike trail that leads to a nice meadow, you have to walk it, so thats something to consider when your packing the damn thing outta there. but its the same herd it the same two or three areas. Sylvester rd at the powerlines Ive also seen them, its a no shoot area but if you can push them east a ways youll enter the hunting boundary very quickly. Oh man I wish I had that tag! good luck!

BlackwaterMerc
11-11-2013, 10:36 PM
Do you know where any damn deer are?? except the few hundred on redroofs rd!! lol

BlackwaterMerc
11-11-2013, 10:41 PM
oh yah! I seem to have great luck getting to them by driving the quad fast as hell and surprising them, your right they do spook easy so if you can move fast and dont give them the chance to run. Haul ass and cover lots of ground. Ive seen that herd smash through some serious timber to get away from me. Sounds like a logging machine driving directly through the forrest. Amazing to watch.

BlackwaterMerc
11-11-2013, 10:44 PM
Have your buddy call the COs in the area and ask where the big ones are. A couple years ago my husband got the rosie draw and the COs were VERY helpful. They watch the herds, fly around in helicopters and have a good idea where the dandies are. I think they are a great source of information -one officer helped me pick spots on the map, including advice about the roads, some wash outs and weather issues to be wary of. I got the sense they liked knowing what we were doing, where we were staying how long etc. We shared info that benefited us both. Got to say that the rosie hunt in that area was by FAR the hardest, wettest, nastiest hunting I have ever done. We had rivers (literally) running through our wall tent in the middle of the night it rained so hard. Quad flipped in the river, broke a scope, had a hungry bear eat the corner of the tent at night, and I had hypothermia. It wasnt even that cold. Those elk are the hardiest, most elusive animals. They live in the snottiest nastiest bush, and you gotta get in there to get them. Crazy hunt in my opinion, one I am sure you will never forget. Good luck!

Sunshine coast IS the hardest place on the earth to Hunt. You Pros out there want a challenge come spot and stalk a deer in our woods. Hahahahahah
The locals here would rather pay the ferry costs and drive through winter shit to get to PG or the Koots then Hunt here, sissies! then again I still havent clipped my tags. Good thing the burger joints here are scrumptious.

BDN9
11-12-2013, 08:52 AM
Thanks for all the info. Will try Trout Lake rd. Just left the substation. Nothing. Saw a 3x4 blacktail there 3 days ago. Heard one grunt this morning.

David
11-12-2013, 11:20 AM
I'll second (or third or fourth) the sub-station, contacting CO's etc. Note the no-shooting area from more-or-less Klein lake north. Bloody Elk get into the gardens and locals are usually very helpful.

BDN9
11-12-2013, 01:45 PM
Blackwater, thanks again for the tips. I went to that intersection and saw lots of good sign.

David, thanks for your reply too. I just met a couple locals offered to let me hunt their private land. I've never run into people so enthusiastic about having hunters on their property!

BDN9
11-20-2013, 01:11 PM
Well it took 8 days of hard hunting but yesterday morning I finally connected with a bull near the substation. It's not huge but it will be a great eater and I'm very happy. When I figure out how to post a picture I will do that. Thanks for your replies to this thread.

In case anyone out there gets this tag I'd like to add: Advice from someone there was keep shooting until they are down and I'm glad he told me this. They are surprisingly tough animals. I put 3 shots in him with a 7mm short mag at 286 yards before he went down. I thought my scope must have been bumped off because he didn't even flinch at first but when I got to him they were all well placed right where I wanted them. If they run into the kind of thick bush that is there and not really well hit they will be hard to find.

treehugger
11-20-2013, 02:22 PM
Congrats man! Sounds like you worked for him. Can't wait to see some more Rosie photos! Woo hoo!

11-20-2013, 10:56 PM
Here he is! Good job BDN9!!

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc215/goatcamp/Rosie2_zps310744f1.jpg (http://s219.photobucket.com/user/goatcamp/media/Rosie2_zps310744f1.jpg.html)

Ovis17
11-20-2013, 11:14 PM
Congrats on getting your bull!

dabber
11-20-2013, 11:38 PM
Congratulations on your bull. So how does elk hunting compare to chasing goats?

BDN9
11-21-2013, 08:44 AM
Thanks Everyone.

Dabber: I think I'd rather chase goats unless I could time it next time to hunt rosie elk in the rut but it sure was exciting once I spotted the group this guy was in.