PDA

View Full Version : Gong Show Goats

Rhyno
11-02-2013, 08:00 PM
I would like say my 3rd season chasing billies went smooth and all can together according to plan. But in fact it was quite the opposite!
For the 3 years in a row I was unsuccessful at pulling a goat draw, but that hasn’t stopped me from hunting them due to the GOS opportunities. I was starting from scratch this year due to my move to the east kootenays from Terrace. I was fortunate to have someone point me in the right direction to start.
The summer was spent pouring over google earth, goat population surveys and the back roads map book. On Oct 21 I set off on a two day solo goat hunt with my trailer in tow. I took off at 4 am in hopes I would be able to set up camp and be glassing by first light. I found the FSR that would allow me to access the basin I wanted without much trouble. However about 45 minutes in the condition was degrading rapidly and I starting to get a little nervous at I put it into 4X4 to drag the trailer through a sloppy section of road. As the road continued to narrow and its condition went from bad to worse I knew that first chance to turn around I had to get the heck outta there. After a mutli point turn in the mud and an hour of driving I was back at the highway were I started.
Ok I thought, plan A is out but I will head to a spot I was told held goats and I was confident road would be better maintained. 45minutes down the new road I was starting to get in to some goat country. I dumped the trailer and started to glass some prime looking spots, after a few hours not a goat was to be seen. Out comes the backroads map book once again and I see hey, I can get to my original spot from here. Although that road was a little tight at times I found the access to the quad trail I was looking for. Unloaded the quad and headed off on a wild ride, white knuckled from hanging on for dear life through the slides and boulder fields. Access and blocked ¾ of the way in, I was able to glass a few spots but again no goats to be seen. As I made my final decent to the truck I noticed something that made my heart sink…..my taillights glowing.
You see I was worries about my folding quad ramps being stolen so I stashed them in the cab. I unknowingly placed one on the driver’s side which rested firmly on the brake pedal. My battery was all but dead….no worries I thought I will boost is with the quad, so I hooked up the cables and let er run for a while…turned the key and nothing….not enough juice in the little battery to turn it over I figured. (please note I am hope less when it comes to anything with an engine.)
Ok I thought I will quad to the main road and try to convince someone to follow me back and give me a boost. So I hit the lock button, and heard them firmly slam into place as I shut the door. I patted my pocket and found them to be lacking a set of key. Ok, now things were really not going well. Dead battery and my key locked in the truck. After a quick assessment of which window would be cheapest to replace I slammed a 2x8 through the back window and had glass explode over the entire interior of the truck. But at least I was in! Oh wait a minute the battery is still dead! All of a sudden a light bulb went off in my head, what if I hooked the truck back up to the quad but let it charge for a while. ½ an hour later I was back in business and returned to my trailer feeling less than pumped about my hunt.
That all changed when I spotted 3 goats the next morning near the top of a mountain in a shale slide. They were only out a few minutes but there seemed to be a nanny and a kid hanging out to one side with a lone billy off to the left.
Once they disappeared I figured what the heck might as well go check them out. 4 hours later I found myself 200 yards away and eye level with the nanny and kid chewing their cud and taking a nap in the sun. I glassed and glassed and glassed but could not find the 3 goat. The snow was littered with track, with a set heading straight over the top. The other goat may have buggered off or could have just been bedded out of sight. Either way I made a deal with myself I would leave with enough time that even if I shot a goat I would have time to field dress him and pack it out with day light as I had no desire to walk down an unfamiliar mountain alone in the dark. I waved good bye to the goats and reluctantly headed back down the slope.
Even though I didn’t pull the trigger I still felt great about the hunt. I love seeing goat and hanging out in their living rooms, I resigned myself to the fact that it would be another year until I had another chance to chase goat. Or would I get out once more?

warnniklz
11-02-2013, 08:08 PM
Sounds like a goat hunt... shit going sideways. At least there was no coin to flip this time.

PS... your avatar is a giveaway... idiot LOL

Whonnock Boy
11-02-2013, 08:09 PM
I see a goat in your avatar..... Is this story to be continued???? :mrgreen:

jaeger
11-02-2013, 08:14 PM
Talking about shithouse luck! I am glad you got going again too bad about busting a window but good for you to persevering!! Next year will be a good year!

Rhyno
11-02-2013, 08:55 PM
So it wasn’t long before I decided I had to take one more shot at goats. I sent a message to my buddy Rackmastr. I am smart enough to first ask him if he was available before I dropped the “hey wanna come help me drag a goat off the mountain” on him. In my defence I did say we could go for whities instead, but he said he wanted to see me kill a goat.
I picked him up early in the am yesterday and we were off. Luckily arriving at the spot I made the play a few weeks earlier without the difficulties I encountered the week before. It wasn’t long before Trev spotted a goat, but it was fleeing and unfortunately neither of us could locate it again. We glassed about 40minutes and decided to check out another spot. Although it was only 2km away and it was still south facing we were looking at winter. I had no real desire to try to climb this spot as it looked extremely treacherous. Luckily neither of us spotted a goat and we decided to head back to the first spot. We had already decided we would hike up blind based on the first sighting as we really didn’t have a ton of time if we were going to make a play.
We set up the spotting scopes and it wasn’t long before Trev once again spotted some goats. I got on them too all of a sudden we both said WHOA that’s a billy! A nice looking goat stepped out above the others and was clearly a good looking billy. We made a game plan, loaded up and headed on up the mountain. A few hours in a goat sky lined himself at the top right in the zone we were heading. We made a slight change in plans and took up off up a ridge with good cover. We knew we were getting close so we decided to stick to the trees and on the far side of the ridge to stay out of the goats line of sight. All of a sudden I saw a goat bedded directly in front of us 250ish yards away. So we hit the deck and tried to glass him with binos as we left the spotting scope at the bottom to save on weight. The goat clearly had us pegged but just stared. We were sure it was a billy but couldn’t get a good look at his horns. But we could both agree he had a young look to him. I passed as I wanted a mature goat.
We didn’t want to spook him so we backed off and headed to the other side of the ridge line we were on. Its wasn’t 5 minutes until Trev, once again, spotted 2 goats in the shale feeding. Try as he might he could not get me to find them. I could hear the urgency in his voice….Following the snow line…by the trees…right in the shale…. I don’t know what else to tell you! They are right there…….me, sorry dude I cant see them!......Trev, they are starting to spook and walk away, take the binos! Once I had the binos is wasn’t long till I said, oh you mean the ones right in front of us! I put up the scope and could tell by the look of the top goat it was clearly a mature billy, Trev ranged him at 379 and dialed in the turret of his gun…..mine suffered a serious fall when my sling came undone during an elk hunt and I still cant get it to shoot!.....The goat was angled downhill quartering towards us I put the crosshairs on the shoulder and pulled the trigger.
He dropped instantly and stopped in his tracks! I was ecstatic, my first goat, clean kill, and he didn’t roll, SWEET! Oh, wait a minute, he was on his back but did a few kicks that sent himself tumbling. It was the worlds longest slow motion roll. Just when we thought he would hang up and stop, gravity would find a way to keep him moving. He finally came to rest parallel to us. I cut my tag with shaking hands, I couldn’t believe after 3 seasons of hard hunts I finally had a billy! Walking up to him I had never see a dirtier goat! I lifted up his head and though, hmmm his jaw is broken, must have been from the tumble.
I turned his head and the sight made my stomach sink, due to the angle he was standing and the fact I didn’t compensate enough for the angle of the shot….ok and human error….resulted in a shot that creased his jaw before entering his neck and spine, no wonder he dropped so fast.
In this kind of situation it always nice to have your taxidermist on the mountain with youJ I was thinking I was destine for a euro mount and planned to keep the hide as a throw. It would be a shame to waste such a prime hide! Rackmastr had a look and decided since the hair is so long and the cut is so straight it can easily be hid by a good taxidermist J I was pumped as I always wanted to mount my first goat. For those who care he was 5 years old and measured 8” long on both sides and 4 7/8” at his bases. I was hoping for a bigger goat, but stuff happened so quick up there I had to shoot then or never. I am happy that he is mature and just stoked to have tagged one of these amazing animals.
I can’t thank my Sherpa enough, Trev has helped me ton since I moved. Definitely owe you buddy! Next pack off the mountain is on me!

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/goat12.jpg

Rhyno
11-02-2013, 08:56 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/goat21.jpg
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/hiking.jpg

Rhyno
11-02-2013, 08:57 PM
Sounds like a goat hunt... shit going sideways. At least there was no coin to flip this time.

PS... your avatar is a giveaway... idiot LOL

Haha....I couldn't help myself Warren.

The Silent Stalker
11-02-2013, 09:06 PM
Nice goat. Good payoff for all the hard work.

Sitkaspruce
11-02-2013, 09:24 PM
Awesome goat!! Any goat is a trophy and you sure earned yours!!

A trick with you quad ramps is to park your truck on them.....really tough to steal them!!!

Thanks for showing us your goat and picts!!!

Cheers

SS

warnniklz
11-02-2013, 09:39 PM
country doesn't look as knarly as the stewart area... mind ya I haven't been to either area

Rhyno
11-02-2013, 09:47 PM
country doesn't look as knarly as the stewart area... mind ya I haven't been to either area
Its way bigger mountains, but not quite as nasty....no walk in the park though!

Displaced Nova Scotian
11-02-2013, 09:55 PM
Great looking goat, congratulations!

heyblast
11-02-2013, 11:35 PM
Glad to hear you finally got your Goat. When we talk earlier about the hunt and the amount of meat, I can see in the photo of the goat and you that they really aren't very big. A lot of hair for sure. Can't wait to see the mount.

Rackmastr
11-03-2013, 07:35 AM
Awesome stuff buddy!!!! It was a great hunt, a perfect stalk and we had some good laughs that day.

Congrats on a hard earned billy! He has such an amazing amount of hair and is a true trophy!!! Was a pleasure being there and seeing the excitement and elation of killing your first.

d6dan
11-03-2013, 07:51 AM
Great 1st goat Rhyno. There's nothing like a late season goat hide. Congrats.

ydouask
11-03-2013, 09:39 AM
Good work on that Goat Rhyno. Looks like I see a pair of walking sticks under that tree.... not that one, the one with the sparkles and lights on it !:-D:-D

decker9
11-03-2013, 10:38 AM
Awesome stuff Rhyno!! Congrats on your first billy! A well earned one to! Cheers!

khoffnbud
11-03-2013, 05:28 PM
Good job sir! It's sure a sense of accomplishment to nail a goat.

ru rancher
11-03-2013, 08:09 PM
awespme goat thanks for the suspence haha

Brambles
11-03-2013, 08:18 PM
I wanna see pics of the 2x8 through the back window......damn that's gotta hurt!!

Duck Buster
11-04-2013, 09:33 AM
Great story, great goat, thanks for keeping me pumped about my chances for next year.......

Rhyno
11-07-2013, 07:24 AM
I wanna see pics of the 2x8 through the back window......damn that's gotta hurt!!

Ha, I should have taken one. I have an older GMC, a local auto glass place had a used window that they installed for $120....so I got off pretty easy. You can bet I have a few spare keys for the truck now though!

boilerroom
12-22-2014, 07:44 PM
Congrats on your first Billy Rhyno!

What really stood out for me is the teamwork - one hunter helping another out!

Cheers,
BR

Rackmastr
12-22-2014, 07:47 PM
Congrats on your first Billy Rhyno!

What really stood out for me is the teamwork - one hunter helping another out!

Cheers,
BR

Since this thread was bumped, I figured I'd comment.

What goes around comes around....Ryan was a true honorable dude and offered me first chance this year on our goat hunt. I managed to shoot a beautiful billy and he helped pack it down the same mountain where we shot his the year before.

Then we woke up the next day and he knocked down one for himself! Great two days!!!

kennyj
12-22-2014, 09:16 PM
Great story. Thanks for sharing your adventure.
kenny

HuntNmemories
12-22-2014, 10:01 PM
Congrats to both of you on your successful hunts. Thanks for sharing the ups (comradeship) and downs (dead battery, keys locked in truck, & having to sacrifice a back window) that go with hunting too!!

jtred
12-23-2014, 07:12 AM
Congratulations on getting your first goat. I had the leh draw for 4-06(zone f I think) a couple of years ago and just couldn't find them, saw some beautiful country but no goats. I should really have done more research and tried to enlist help from some of the more experienced guys in my area but I usually hunt alone so I didn't. Hard hunt for sure.