PDA

View Full Version : Good day but close call/what would the problem be

wayneec
11-02-2013, 03:15 PM
Had a good day out with my brother went up Martin mountain area seen lots of mule does no bucks a cow moose some white tail does and lots of chickens we did not get anything but that's ok good day anyway but we were in a clearing glassing the hill side and I had shells in my gun I closed the bolt with a shell in it but it wasn't closed all the way I had set my gun down against a log and we sat when we were done we were walking back to the truck not knowing when I rested my gun down it closed the bolt all the way so as we got close to the truck I had my gun strap over my shoulder and my gun went off there was no way it caught on anything at all it is an old gun and its has a heavy trigger so just wondering if anyone has any ideas what it would be feel a little deaf still today but at least no one got hurt time for it to go to the gun shop I guess or a new gun. so to my fellow hunters be safe out there and double check your firearms at all times never know what could happen

monasheemountainman
11-02-2013, 03:36 PM
dang that is scary, I always make sure I know whether or not I have a round chambered. those are the risks if you walk around with one in the chamber. as to whats wrong with your gun I don't know but I would think twice about using it before having it checked out.

wayneec
11-02-2013, 03:43 PM
Ya i did know i had one chambered but didnt know it was fully cocked Yes I am going to get it checked out all I need is for someone to get hurt or to be looking through my scope at a non legal buck and it goes off and down he goes ya it scared the shit out of me thanks guys

dougan
11-02-2013, 04:02 PM
Of your gonna do that why not depress the trigger before putting the bolt down and it would disengage the firing pin?then just lift bolt and lower it and it's cocked .?

wayneec
11-02-2013, 04:08 PM
Ya that's a good idea but the only thing is it still never should have went off nothing was even close to the trigger at all and the trigger is heavy dont know how many lbs pull but more than adverage

Gateholio
11-02-2013, 04:16 PM
Of your gonna do that why not depress the trigger before putting the bolt down and it would disengage the firing pin?then just lift bolt and lower it and it's cocked .?

Bad idea. If you carry with one in the chamber, use the safety. It's there for a reason.

Gateholio
11-02-2013, 04:17 PM
Had a good day out with my brother went up Martin mountain area seen lots of mule does no bucks a cow moose some white tail does and lots of chickens we did not get anything but that's ok good day anyway but we were in a clearing glassing the hill side and I had shells in my gun I closed the bolt with a shell in it but it wasn't closed all the way I had set my gun down against a log and we sat when we were done we were walking back to the truck not knowing when I rested my gun down it closed the bolt all the way so as we got close to the truck I had my gun strap over my shoulder and my gun went off there was no way it caught on anything at all it is an old gun and its has a heavy trigger so just wondering if anyone has any ideas what it would be feel a little deaf still today but at least no one got hurt time for it to go to the gun shop I guess or a new gun. so to my fellow hunters be safe out there and double check your firearms at all times never know what could happen

Your rifle had a loaded chamber and no safety on it. It's doesn't take much to set off a trigger if it catches on something, even a very heavy trigger. A little tug is all it would take.

rides bike to work
11-02-2013, 04:19 PM
Every time I pick up my gun I check the safety as well every so often while walking almost an OCD thing for me. Hurting myself or much worse a friend would be to tragic for me to handle. As for the gun going off it doesn't take much to pull a trigger.last year a hunter I know had his gun slung on hi shoulder and spun it backwards and his clothing undid the safety then pulled the trigger and shot himself in the foot.

604redneck
11-02-2013, 04:38 PM
Bad idea. If you carry with one in the chamber, use the safety. It's there for a reason.
I would like an explanation as to why it's a bad idea....

wayneec
11-02-2013, 04:55 PM
I agree I don't think it is a bad Idea to have one chambered as long as we check now and then unfortunately I didn't check and this is what happens just wanted people to be aware of what they are doing when chasing deer or moose around the bush and not knowing something what other potential dangers there is so just be aware

steel_ram
11-02-2013, 05:01 PM

The firing pin may not be cocked but is still physically capable of hitting the primer if the rifle is bumped. The act of "decocking" has the potential of catching and springing the pin forward. Have no rounds chambered or use the safety as designed.

Jagermeister
11-02-2013, 05:03 PM
I had a Mauser 98 in 7X57 that would involutarily fire. If the trigger was depressed with the safety on the firing pin would "creep". The moment the safety was released, the firearm would discharge. The problem was a sear that was slightly round from wear. Once the sear was refurbished back to it's original dimensions (gunsmith job), the firearm functioned as it should.
You can test it to see if you have the same situation.
WITHOUT A BULLET IN THE CHAMBER.
Cock the bolt
Engage the safety
Pull the trigger.
Now disengage the safety.
If the firing pin releases it could be the sear. It could be something else too so you need to get a gunsmith to check and fix. Since you are in the vicinity of Martin Mountain, you could take it to Dave Jennings (Laveau Road) as he is close at hand.

wayneec
11-02-2013, 05:13 PM
Thanks jäger that's all I wanted was some info not to be bashed like I am a criminal for having one chambered and walking and also for other hunters to be aware of the situation and be safe that's all I was getting across

RiverOtter
11-02-2013, 05:29 PM

It's a bad idea because, when you release the firing pin it is pressed against the primer by the full weight of the firing pin spring; which is fairly substantial. All it takes at that point is a little tap on the back of the bolt and BOOM. It is a much more dangerous condition than cocked and locked.

I know this has been beat to death, here and every other hunting site, but I refuse to hunt with anyone who packs with cartridge in the spout. If you wanna pack hot, cocked locked or loaded uncocked when you're out by yourself, have at 'er, but there is too much at stake if you're out with a buddy, as he/she is most often the one who pays the price when chit "happens". I'm nearing 15 years or better of cold chamber hunting and have not missed a single opportunity because of it; That was my main concern when I first started. Sure a nice feeling when you slip, slide or fall and lose muzzle control, that you know there is no way someone is gonna get hurt; At least not from an accidental discharge.

decker9
11-02-2013, 05:36 PM

I use to do this all the time when I was hunting alone, did it for years! One day... I shot a deer, reloaded, but dident need the follow up shot, so dead bolted my rifle with a round in, well I got the 1 in the 1 in a million chance, the rifle went off! Lesson learnt.

Bugle M In
11-02-2013, 05:44 PM
No bashing...forum is good so we learn and realize potential risks.
I too, was brought to keep one in the chamber with pin on primer etc.
Now, I keep everything underloaded....all in group do the same.
that way we all know the state of each others rifles just in case.
but yes...sometimes when alone, and in an area i suspect i might be close to a game encounter, the gun is loaded ands safety on.
My dad was in the army in germany,...they had the bullet in chamber with depressed trigger etc.
But , ...thats army....not us.
under loaded is still best....i don't really trust safeties...especially when i walk with gun over shoulder and a day pack on....
safety sometimes catches....and wouldn't you know...now i have a live round!!
under load!!

boxhitch
11-02-2013, 06:23 PM
Lots of mystery here , must be ghosts left from Hallowed night
I had shells in my gun I closed the bolt with a shell in it but it wasn't closed all the way

not knowing when I rested my gun down it closed the bolt all the way

my gun went off there was no way it caught on anything at all

Sounds different than just decocking on a loaded chamber
Glad no one was hurt

two-feet
11-02-2013, 06:32 PM
Had a beatuty mature bull moose lined up this year, took the safety off and the frigging thing fires! Moose fled the scene. No one hurt, just scared the shit out of me and kind of ruined my season since it was the only bull i had in my sights.It was a new to me rifle, i was told there were no defects. (Still waiting on refund). My parteners and i decided that while we hike into a spot together there shall be no shells in the chamber. Ok to rack one in and put on safety after we are settled into the spot. Shells out again for the walk home. Just our system.

People worry about bears and wolves in the bush but the firearms are the most dangerous thing out there in my opinion

Sofa King
11-02-2013, 06:39 PM

ummm, because things can happen like the gun accidentally going off, like what happened in this case.

personally, my safety goes on the second a round is chambered.

wayneec
11-02-2013, 06:43 PM
Thanks for the input guys I have learned my lesson the hard way just glad me or my brother was not hurt from now on unloaded until it needs to be happy and safe hunting

deer nut
11-02-2013, 06:47 PM
There is no reason to have a round chambered unless you are in full-on ninja mode! I never understood the rationale for chambering a round and then putting the gun on your shoulder; if you are chambered you should be in ready position at the very least and have full control of your firearm. Good reminder. Sounds like you should buy a new rifle!

benttip
11-02-2013, 07:59 PM
once way back in the olden days was hunting seals , was getting close to the reef where the seals were..put in a round, staying crounched in the open tin boat and bang 308 goes off on its own..makes ya feel sick im tellin ya..was a firing pin prob??? gun smith fixed so might be somethin to look at...great lesson

adriaticum
11-02-2013, 08:39 PM

Go to your best buddy and ask him to give you a swift kick in the nuts.

brutus
11-03-2013, 09:18 AM
It's a bad idea because, when you release the firing pin it is pressed against the primer by the full weight of the firing pin spring; which is fairly substantial. All it takes at that point is a little tap on the back of the bolt and BOOM. It is a much more dangerous condition than cocked and locked.

I know this has been beat to death, here and every other hunting site, but I refuse to hunt with anyone who packs with cartridge in the spout. If you wanna pack hot, cocked locked or loaded uncocked when you're out by yourself, have at 'er, but there is too much at stake if you're out with a buddy, as he/she is most often the one who pays the price when chit "happens". I'm nearing 15 years or better of cold chamber hunting and have not missed a single opportunity because of it; That was my main concern when I first started. Sure a nice feeling when you slip, slide or fall and lose muzzle control, that you know there is no way someone is gonna get hurt; At least not from an accidental discharge.same for me,no loads in the chamber untill i am ready to shoot period,refuse to walk around with any body with one in the tube.the only time i will have one in the pipe is when an animal is down and i am gutting it covered in fresh blood(alone that is)

brutus
11-03-2013, 09:23 AM
ummm, because things can happen like the gun accidentally going off, like what happened in this case.

personally, my safety goes on the second a round is chambered.safety is not good enought when hiking in the timber,to easy to get it caught up

wayneec
11-03-2013, 09:36 AM
That the thing I was in a clearing never once walked through the bush nothing at all could have pulled the trigger there was nothing around

.330 Dakota
11-03-2013, 10:15 AM
I had a Mauser 98 in 7X57 that would involutarily fire. If the trigger was depressed with the safety on the firing pin would "creep". The moment the safety was released, the firearm would discharge. The problem was a sear that was slightly round from wear. Once the sear was refurbished back to it's original dimensions (gunsmith job), the firearm functioned as it should.
You can test it to see if you have the same situation.
WITHOUT A BULLET IN THE CHAMBER.
Cock the bolt
Engage the safety
Pull the trigger.
Now disengage the safety.
If the firing pin releases it could be the sear. It could be something else too so you need to get a gunsmith to check and fix. Since you are in the vicinity of Martin Mountain, you could take it to Dave Jennings (Laveau Road) as he is close at hand.

Older Remingtons had an isue of firing when he safety was clicked to the fire position,,without pulling the trigger. Had a buddy with an old 721 that would fire as the bolt closed. We werent gun savy back then (teenagers) so he scrapped it,,torched it actually,,what a shame.

wayneec
11-03-2013, 10:51 AM
Any how thanks for all the input guys really appreciate it gonna take it to a gun shop it is a 270 ruger it was my dads when he past away my mom gave it to me now just gonna restore it and have it stored away and next year new gun for me was thinking of either a weatherby vanguard 2- 270 or a ruger hawkeye 270 what is your input

hotload
11-03-2013, 11:09 AM
Changing shoulders to carry the gun around on will leave the safety on the inside and prone to hook on clothes, pack etc. Never do I hunt alone with a round down the pipe, and never will I hunt with anybody that insists on doing it. Park your arse for an extended stay and throw one down the hole and safety it.............

Ltbullken
11-03-2013, 11:17 AM

Put a round in the chamber and close the bolt while depressing the trigger? This is equally dangerous because the firing pin is under tension even when it is fully forward. Doing it that way will put pressure against the primer. A really good jolt and you guessed it...

Ltbullken
11-03-2013, 11:20 AM
Any how thanks for all the input guys really appreciate it gonna take it to a gun shop it is a 270 ruger it was my dads when he past away my mom gave it to me now just gonna restore it and have it stored away and next year new gun for me was thinking of either a weatherby vanguard 2- 270 or a ruger hawkeye 270 what is your input

A gunsmith might just fix your gun to perfectly serviceable condition and then you have a great nostalgic piece to carry on the hunt. But a new gun is always bonus! For the price your considering, I throw my hat in with a Tikka, which IMHO, is the most accurate factory rifle for the price out of the box.

oldersniper
11-03-2013, 01:20 PM
just be more careful and thanks you were not injured. Stay with the area as lots of does means bucks will come anytime now.

kevan
11-03-2013, 03:01 PM

If its an older Ruger the safety might be the one on the tang and sometimes if a person is wearing gloves they can slip when applying the safety and it does not go all the way on when it seems like it is.
I've noticed that with my tang safety rifle.

mr7mm
11-05-2013, 10:12 AM
i never walk with one in the chamber ever... this year i was out on foot and had the clip in and nothing in the chamber, a little ways in to my walk my strap broke sending my rifle to the ground breaking my scope on a rock. this is why never have one in chamber unless you are positive that you are ready to shoot. a price of a scope small price to pay considering on what could have happened if rifle was loaded

sparkymacker
11-05-2013, 11:56 AM
I hike with a round in the chamber, but I always double check that the safety is on before setting off. This fall I went into a spot to sit in the evening and call, but I had to bushwhack through some thick stuff to get to where I wanted to set up. Once I got to the spot I was going to set up in I leaned my rifle up against a tree so I could take off my pack. In doing so I casually checked to make sure the safety was still on and to my horror discovered it was not. Somehow a piece of brush had rubbed up against my rifle perfectly so as to release the safety. It is a sick feeling to realize that the same set of circumstances could have also resulted in an accidental discharge. Although I was by myself, you can never predict the outcome of an errant round. My conclusion from that incident was that if you are moving at all the risk is simply not worth it.

brian
11-05-2013, 04:45 PM
That the thing I was in a clearing never once walked through the bush nothing at all could have pulled the trigger there was nothing around

I've had a backpack pull the trigger once, no problem because there was no round in the chamber. But still your trigger can catch on a ton of things on your body. Usually I will only have a round chambered when the gun is in my full control and not slung.

M.Dean
11-05-2013, 09:33 PM
Of your gonna do that why not depress the trigger before putting the bolt down and it would disengage the firing pin?then just lift bolt and lower it and it's cocked .? I store my Rifles like that, always have, and I can't believe over the years how many guys will close the bolt on a empty chamber, then dry fire the Rifle before putting it in the Truck or on the Quad etc. As far as your Rifle firing by it's self, 9 times out of ten there's a reason for it. I think what I'd do is make dam sure the Rifles empty, then try to do exactly what you did when it fired, other than that I think I would have it checked out by a real good Gun Smith. Might be time for a nice shiny new Rifle!

Papa Sasquatch
11-05-2013, 09:47 PM
Don't take it personally but I don't want to be in the woods with you.
I don't believe in miracle discharge! Human error is 97.6 most likely then a firearm malfunction.
Use the safety until you are ready to shoot. ACTs and PROVE it safe or you will end up hurting someone.

Gateholio
11-05-2013, 09:49 PM
I store my Rifles like that, always have, and I can't believe over the years how many guys will close the bolt on a empty chamber, then dry fire the Rifle before putting it in the Truck or on the Quad etc. As far as your Rifle firing by it's self, 9 times out of ten there's a reason for it. I think what I'd do is make dam sure the Rifles empty, then try to do exactly what you did when it fired, other than that I think I would have it checked out by a real good Gun Smith. Might be time for a nice shiny new Rifle!

Dry firing while muzzle is pointed in safe direction is actually a good thing. Confirms the chamber is empty.

BlackOwL
11-07-2013, 07:41 PM
last year a hunter I know had his gun slung on hi shoulder and spun it backwards and his clothing undid the safety then pulled the trigger and shot himself in the foot.

Where is the 'hi" shoulder and what kind of clothes your friend was wearing? because judging by what happened looks like he left his fly open and his foot directly below...:mrgreen: