PDA

View Full Version : Relocation advice for Grand Forks or Prince Rupert/Terrace

smeegle
11-01-2013, 05:01 PM
I have recently been offered teaching positions in either Grand Forks and Terrace Rupert area, I was just looking for any advice on these areas if anyone has lived there. Is the hunting pretty decent? I have grown up in Nanaimo on Vancouver Island and I am a much more accomplished fisherman but I want to get more into hunting. Is there much in the way of fishing in Grand Forks or is all strictly whitetail country?

Cheers,

Smeegle

d6dan
11-01-2013, 05:05 PM
I grew up in GF. To me its still home when I visit family and friends. Lots of fishing and hunting there. I just got back from there with a WT. Always lots to do outdoors.

adriaticum
11-01-2013, 05:09 PM
Haven't been to either but from what I hear in Grand Forks they have a deer problem. In Prince Rupert they have a rain problem.
Your choice :)

swampthing
11-01-2013, 05:20 PM
Grand forks has good hunting and fishing. More deer there than Terrace. Terrace has goats though and plenty of bear. Fishing is great of course. Pick the animal you want to hunt. I would take the forks. But then again terrace is pretty too. I am not much help am I!

Fella
11-01-2013, 05:21 PM
The climate in GF alone would be reason enough for me to move there.

rocksteady
11-01-2013, 05:45 PM
Born in Borscht country, can't groove with rain....

I would pick GF, sunshine, borscht, Dukes and knapweed... Just me though...

quadrakid
11-01-2013, 05:55 PM
I,m a coast guy,and its a no brainer for me,Grand Forks.Sure theres no halibut fishing but think about how much closer you are to great hunting.

finngun
11-01-2013, 05:58 PM
Terrace receives an average annual rainfall of 970.1 mm (38.19 in) and snowfall of 375.4 cm (147.80 in),

if you like snow shoveling Terrace is place for you:mrgreen:

Jagermeister
11-01-2013, 06:06 PM
I'd opt for Grand Forks. Good climate, Christina Lake, points south are close at hand, whitetails, elk, turkeys.
Prince Rupert, lots of nice people, good halibut fishing but the rain and the end of the line loom large. I would not pick Rupert as a permanent place to reside unless I had a severe medical reaction to sunlight exposure.

two-feet
11-01-2013, 07:28 PM
Terrace/rupert is the friggin mecca of fishing. Maybe the best salmon/stealhead area on earth outside of kamchatka? Epic black and grizz hunting, goats galore, only a short distance to great moose country. A hop skip and jump and you are headed up hwy 37 for moose, caribou, sheep.
i am an unabashed promoter of northern bc.

Quesnel Kid
11-01-2013, 08:28 PM
I have lived in both places. Am currently in Terrace and the hunting is not as easy as in the west koots and no elk close by, but it is spectacular here and the fishing is life changing.

sherpa-Al
11-01-2013, 10:08 PM
I can't speak for Grand Forks, never lived there, but if I had a choice I'd avoid Terrace at all costs. First of all the people are always talking to you, smiling, wondering what you and your family are doing, asking if you need help with anything in particular, waving at you when driving, just generally friendly, it's unbearable. Then there are all of those damn fish. It really annoys me that I can't go and fish for trout in peace without those pesky salmon biting my lure. If it's not a coho, then it's a pink or chum or sockeye or steelhead, and if you are really unlucky you'll hook a chinook, hopefully not a monster 97lb that was caught here a few years back, these fish usually spool me and then I have to go and buy more fishing line, that really pisses me off. If that's not enough to deter you then I'll mention all of the bears that live here. You can't drive, walk or hike here without bumping into either a Grizzly or black bear wandering around like they own the place, so annoying. Speaking of hiking, there are too many trails and mountains to hike around here, it can be tough to make up your mind where to go and what to see, and when you do you are constantly stopping on your hikes to look at waterfalls, alpine flowers, pick blueberries and spot mountain goats, this can be very distracting and throw a guy way off schedule, this might cause you to be late and force you to see one of those awful alpine sunsets... friggin' goats. If all of this hasn't made up your mind then the last thing has to be the snow. It snows so much here someone went and put a ski hill right in the snowiest part of it all and to top it off if you want you can be a part owner. Now I caution against this because some days you can't get to the hill because there is too much snow, and when you do not all of the runs are groomed, some are left with untracked chest deep powder on them, totally un-enjoyable. As I said before, avoid it like the plague, too much fresh air and endless amount of things to do can be tough on someone and their dedication to show up for work every day, probably should choose somewhere else.:mrgreen:

Al

Captainkf
11-01-2013, 10:18 PM
Well, I am from gf and we recently moved to the east koots. It is a nice quiet little town with good hunting and fishing close to town. We liked it so much we bought a house there and are now renting it. If you have specific questions or are needing a place to rent pm me please. Both nice communities, good luck choosing!

RustyRipper
11-01-2013, 10:26 PM
I've spent a lot of time in Rupert and a bit of time in terrace. You're as already used to rain by living on the island , times that by 5 and then you'll have the north coast. Miserable place in the winter especially being so far away from everything else. But phenomenal fishing, both salt and fresh, and lots of Blacktails around (sitka), also as stated you'd be very close to good moose country. Lots of amazing places to explore up there as well, beautiful place and I enjoy going up there, but living there would be a different story.

Only passed through grand forks but its beautiful country in its own right. Personally because I'm a coastal guy, I'd try living in the Kootenay's just for a change. Plus ELK!!!! Just lots more choices when it comes to hunting and also very close to some of the best skiing in north america! Just my two coppers

russm
11-01-2013, 11:26 PM
Grand forks and buy yourself a piece of land with a field on it.

DartNorth
11-01-2013, 11:38 PM
I don't know about anything about Grand Forks.
I live in Rupert but otherwise a great community. It rains way too much, but the ocean fishing is great. Jump on the ferry to Haida Gwaii for 5 Black Tails ( 15 per year). Moose out Terrace way or past. Terrace has a great ski hill ( Shames - about ~100 km from Rupert)
Goats between Rupert and Terrace, and east of terrace. Lot's of bears east of Rupert.
Terrace has pretty good properties with lots of land. Commute is small.
I would pick Terrace over Rupert because of the weather, commute to Rupert for the ocean fishing, fish close to Terrace on the river, and hunt out of Terrace, or head up North.
If you come up this way, let us know.

palmer
11-02-2013, 02:07 PM
Being from Christina Lake and 15mins from GF...I would choose GF...Lots of Elk and Moose and good MULIE and Whitetail...Tons of Black Bears. The fishing is OK. But what you also get is 10 mins and you are hunting and fishing...the cost of housing is good and you get mild winters and beautiful spring summer and Fall. You are only 2 hours from Spokane to get your fill of hunting and fishing equip.
Lots of things to do in the summer...swimming,camping and hiking and you get to do it under sunny skies...I like PR but it just rains too much for me...Its a great place to visit and Fish, but for everyday living I feel GF is a better choice.

pete_k
11-02-2013, 02:42 PM
GF has mule, elk and LOTS wt. Lots of chunky blue grouse too. Fishing is mostly high country lakes with a canoe or car topper. Weather is great (compared to PG). Not alot of snow and mild winter temps. Good amount of Forestry rec sites. Can get frickin' hot in summer (into the 40's on occasion) 2 hrs from shopping in Kelowna. Also close to those Kootenay hunts. Lot's of FS roads along the Arrow Lake. We were looking to relocate in that area about 7 years ago. Shopping won't be as good as Terrace.

Terrace. don't know much about the game there. Fishing is world class though. Winters are milder than PG. Maybe it's the lower elevation and a almost coastal location. They were raking leaves in mid February when I was there. Your not too far from good moose hunting to the East. Airport has more than a few daily flights to Vancouver.

I'd pick GF.

What are you leaning towards?

BimmerBob
11-02-2013, 03:05 PM
I lived in Terrace for just over 10 years ('77 to '88) and it was a great spot, fishing was fantastic, hunting was not bad and the people (in Terrace, Kitimat and Prince Rupert and surrounding areas) were very friendly and welcoming. From what I have seen and heard of GF I would choose it for the weather and the distance from some great recreational spots. Terrace can no longer be considered isolated but everything is so far, it is a major effort to go on a non-local vacation or shopping trip. Another consideration would be where your family is from and how often you want to see them. If you are just starting out, buying property may not be in the cards but if you can, get some land and have some fun with it...

Avalanche123
11-02-2013, 03:08 PM
Way less hippies and tree huggers in Terrace - Rupert but they are starting to infiltrate the area.

I am a big fan of northern BC, less people, more country. And of course what a few others said,,,world class fishing. We don't get that much snow in Terrace but the odd dump sticks around. Sure we have some years where the town does see a lot of snow but hey it's winter right. I am not a big fan of Rupert, mainy because of the rain.
I am impressed you have a teaching position here in Terrace as there is a long line of recent teaching grads all fighting for the same job...it's a tough go but it is improving. Good luck with your choice!

teleposer
11-03-2013, 02:41 PM
I'd vote for GF as well, since I was born and raised there. Glad to see so many GF'ers on here.

Jagermeister
11-03-2013, 04:34 PM
Did I mention that I worked on Hays Mountain at Prince Rupert? Worked on the microwave station way back when. One day the rain stopped and the clouds parted. The sun came out and I was amazed at the view, I swear, you could see all the way out to the QCI. Then within a short time, the clouds formed up once again and the rain started up. I never saw the view again.
And let us not forget the wolves that abound on the golf course.
It takes a special type of person to endure the sunless days and those people do exist. I met a fellow once from Ocean Falls, born and bred there. He moved inland when the mill curtailed operation. He could only stand it for a couple of years before he packed his bags and moved to 'Rupert. If you have the mindset, you will prevail in that clime.

smeegle
11-25-2013, 11:42 PM
made the move to rupert for the year due to more work opportunity then GF going to gain a little experience and jump ship to smithers and terrace area or move to GF/Koots area..I would love to get back the Island but job opportunities there are low and cost of living continues to climb! If there are any friendly rupert/terrace dwellers on here willing to show me around I would be very grateful as I don't know anyone in this area!