PDA

View Full Version : difference between coyote and wolf scat

olympia
10-31-2013, 03:36 PM
I noticed some scat a few weeks ago on the Psayten FSR near Princeton, I saw jet black scat that looked like dog poo but it had light brown deer color fur in it. It was almost the same size as a german shepherd size dogs crap, would this be wolf? I tried to google image wolf/coyote scat but it seems people don't take pictures of excrement and post it on the web. I guess could refer to my core manual but Im not at home right now and bored

E.V.B.H.
10-31-2013, 06:43 PM
Sounds like it. Wolf can be almost all hair sometimes

adriaticum
10-31-2013, 06:53 PM
http://www.milojko.com/hunting/poop.jpg

olympia
10-31-2013, 08:53 PM
http://www.milojko.com/hunting/poop.jpg

it looks very similar to the pic you posted but it was really dark black with fur, so is that pic you posted wolf or yote ?

hare_assassin
10-31-2013, 09:04 PM
it looks very similar to the pic you posted but it was really dark black with fur, so is that pic you posted wolf or yote ?

That's actually his own shit. He threw it in just to mess with you. Apparently he eats a lot of beaver (or bearded clam, it is hard to tell).

finaddict
10-31-2013, 09:41 PM
That's actually his own shit. He threw it in just to mess with you. Apparently he eats a lot of beaver (or bearded clam, it is hard to tell).now THAT was funny

adriaticum
10-31-2013, 11:20 PM

I have no idea, still wondering. I found it up high in 3-13, 50K from Merritt. I saw on wolftracker that people have seen wolves and tracks in the area even closer to Hope so it could be a wolf.
Unfortunately I did not place a known object near it so people can get a perception of size.
Dog is a dog so it could be coyote and wolf. I don't know the habits of either animals all that well.
The only way to find out is go back up there in the winter and start howling :mrgreen: