PDA

View Full Version : Man found after three months in deep woods, stranded by bear attack

bone
10-31-2013, 10:53 AM
MONTREAL – A man has been rescued, clinging to his life, after spending three months in a remote forest during which he survived a bear attack.
Police are sharing the improbable story of 44-year-old Marco Lavoie, an experienced hiker who set off on what was supposed to be a two-month excursion on July 16, 2013.
Police can’t say exactly when that bear attack occurred. But it’s believed that in mid-August, halfway through his planned trip, the animal attacked his encampment, ate his food, and destroyed his survival gear.
Because he’d had so much experience in the deep woods, when he didn’t turn up back home last month his loved ones simply assumed he’d extended his stay in the Lake Matagami region of northwestern Quebec.
But they became increasingly alarmed in recent weeks and called the provincial police on Oct. 21. Police sent out a helicopter to rescue him.
The helicopter couldn’t land. So two police officers dropped down, and one carried Lavoie back up on his shoulders. They brought him to hospital.
Police say he was rescued just in time.
“We believe he might have died in a few more hours — 24 to 48 hours more,” said Sgt. Ronald McInnis, a provincial police spokesman.
“He’s in critical condition. He wasn’t even able to drink water when we offered him some. He will be on an IV for several weeks.
“He will gradually learn to drink, and then eat, again.”
The man was severely emaciated and suffering from hypothermia when he was found: “It’s already been snowing (up there) for two or three weeks. The nights are cold,” McInnis said.

ElliotMoose
10-31-2013, 10:57 AM
Wow! Tough SOB!!

TheProvider
10-31-2013, 11:23 AM
Lucky!!! If a family or friend didnt show up I would be notify someone sooner than a month later.

Aheny
10-31-2013, 11:26 AM
sounds like another role for James Franco!

AltaElkhunter
10-31-2013, 11:34 AM
time to buy a spot or similar device for that fella.

squamishhunter
10-31-2013, 12:28 PM
Notice how "he would've died" at the end of all police related rescues. It's like they actually do something.

lilhoss
10-31-2013, 12:45 PM
Doesn't say whether he was attacked....? By the bear. If it just ate his food, and he was an experienced hiker,why did he not hike out the way he came in? Wouldn't of lasted with the cold nights coming.

hare_assassin
10-31-2013, 12:57 PM
Imagine what a difference a firearm would have made for this guy.

"Man too fat to hike out of wilderness after eating entire bear."

markt308
10-31-2013, 01:04 PM
Incredible story of survival. Can't imagine trying to remain emotionally strong that whole time

Gateholio
10-31-2013, 01:30 PM
Moral is to take a gun and a Spot!

Sasquatch
10-31-2013, 01:56 PM
When I first saw the CBC article, they had a picture of a grizzly bear accompanying it - usual CBC crap reporting, as there are obviously no grizz in Quebec. They did change it, but really, was it that tough a fact to check...I guess what the hell, a bear is a bear, right?

squamishhunter
10-31-2013, 03:18 PM
When I first saw the CBC article, they had a picture of a grizzly bear accompanying it - usual CBC crap reporting, as there are obviously no grizz in Quebec. They did change it, but really, was it that tough a fact to check...I guess what the hell, a bear is a bear, right?

Anti grizzly hunt agenda?

One Shot
10-31-2013, 03:54 PM
What are the police trying to mean when they say "the improbable story" of 44 year old Marco Lavoie?

That it did not happen or that there is more to this story?

North49
10-31-2013, 04:45 PM
Wow hardcore that's a dude

budismyhorse
11-02-2013, 07:29 AM
Even without techno safety gadgets....... An "experienced outdoorsman" would have had fish/fowl on the go, a proper shelter and a dog wagging his tail when the Heli cops walked up to his camp.

This story is whacked

M.Dean
11-02-2013, 08:04 AM
Anyone else read the comments at the bottom of the page? And I quote" Thats all well and fine, but to make that choice for the poor Dog who had no say is extremely selfish"! So, from this day forward my learned friends, You ASK your DAM Dog if he wants to go Bird Hunting, ASK the poor Dog if he wants to drive around with you to go Hunting!!! Don't just Assume your Dog wants to go with you because he's standing at the Door with his tail wagging the minute you put on your Hunting jacket and boots!!! Yes, that day is long gone!!! So, bloody well ask your pet if he'd like to accompany you for a day in the field, don't force him to go with you because you want to bash his skull in and eat him raw because you forgot your Lunch!!! People like the one who made that comment walk among us!!! Whats this world coming too???

Walksalot
11-02-2013, 09:49 AM
I am sure this guy, as he sat starving to death in the tree,came to the stark realization he isn't bullet proof any more. We all come to that conclusion as we get older. The truly sad part is this guy had no consideration for the people who had to go and try to find him. To embark on such a adventure with no "bail out" plan in place can only be described as fool hardy. I feel for the dog for the dog could have fended for itself but loyalty to it's owner was it's undoing.

huntinnewbie
11-02-2013, 10:03 AM
I agree that this story is full of holes.
First, he was planning a 2 month adventure. How much food would he need as well as a German Shepard?
He actually packed that much grub?
Experienced woodsman but didn't cache his food supplies.
Had to kill his dog with a rock? No gun, axe, knife, machete, etc?
No means of cummunicating with the outside world.
Bear destroyed his boat, was he stupid enough to leave his food in there?
Still haven't figured out if the bear attacked him, his camp, his dog, or all 3.
When he was finally reported as missing it seemed as if the police ( not trained in search and rescue to any great extent) found him immediatley.
So sounds like he wasn't to far from civilization.
Hopefully more will come out about this.