PDA

View Full Version : Scent

Kanook Senior
10-29-2013, 08:42 AM
Hey Guys and Gals .
What do you think about human scent and using scent eliminator to cover up human body odours ?
What types do you use ? Spray ? Wafers ?
Interested in your thoughts on human scent.
Any one use a unscented candles in a can for a little heat when you are sitting in your blind or stand ?

Yours in hunting
Robbie:):):):)

Blainer
10-29-2013, 08:50 AM
more marketing BS

BearStump
10-29-2013, 08:54 AM
I'm not a beleiver. Doesn't matter how much cover up you put on your pants boots and jacket. You still expel heat (and scent) from your head. and you still have to breath. Pretty sure my breath is less than scentless when I'm in the bush for a week.

Mikey Rafiki
10-29-2013, 08:55 AM
I've used scent lock clothing, scent free detergent, soap, deodorant and cover spray. My guess is the psychological effect of me feeling super stealthy was just as beneficial as the scent covering. Being able to take advantage of the wind direction is the only sure way to keep them from sniffing you out.

I've use my tiny raptor butane stove in the blind for a couple Saskatchewan hunts and it was magnificent. Also, it didn't keep the deer from coming in.

Mike

keoke
10-29-2013, 09:05 AM
Its not 100%. But it will give you an advantage. Ever smell your clothes after a night at the bar? Well im sure that's what a deer smells when you pull clean clothes out of your closet. And dont just buy the spray do the full system, scent free laundry detergent, pack it in a plastic container then change before going in the field and give your boots and self one last spray.

BiG Boar
10-29-2013, 09:37 AM
Yeah I hunt scent free. With the wind in my face.

What at a crock of siht all the rest of that stuff is.

Avalanche123
10-29-2013, 05:32 PM
What Big Boar said x 2

bigslim
10-29-2013, 06:55 PM

x2 Well said

gcreek
10-29-2013, 07:57 PM
I prefer Vanish, everything wonders where the smell is coming from but you don't worry cause they can't see you!

Davey Crockett
10-29-2013, 08:09 PM
A not so practical scent-free system:

http://youtu.be/GzLh72aiQSw

TheProvider
10-29-2013, 08:10 PM
Wind and thermals my friend.

luckofthedraw
10-30-2013, 08:53 AM
What about swirling mountain wind? Are you just screwed on those days? I have had a lot of those lately.

Blair
10-30-2013, 09:04 AM

I agree, but then I don't have a deer's nose so I can't be 100% sure. Just about 99% though. I had an interesting encounter with a group of caribou in the alpine last year. There were 6 animals and nowhere to hide. The saw us from about 150 yds and wondered what we were. As there was no legal bull among them we just sat there and watched as they circled to get downwind of us. As they circled, they also came closer. Judging by the wind direction, I expected there would be a fan of scent emanating from our position and getting wider as it went downwind. I kept expecting them to wind us as they came into this imaginary area, but they kept going, watching us all the way, until they were absolutely directly downwind and only about 60 yds away. Then it was all over and they spooked and made for the hills.