PDA

View Full Version : Aggressive Wolf Pack Attack Near Merritt

ItsGrouseTalk
10-29-2013, 07:35 AM
"British Columbia’s Forestry Safety Council says a forestry worker narrowly escaped an attack from a pack of wolves near Merritt.
They have now issued a safety alert for that region and warn people to be vigilant about their surroundings.
The incident happened two weeks ago when a woman was approached by about five aggressive wolves. She had two dogs with her and one of them tried to take on the wolves as they got within about three metres of the woman.
She managed to grab a can of bear spray and make it back to her truck and call for help. One of her dogs however had to be put down because it was too badly injured.
The safety alert says anyone who comes across wolves should try to make themselves appear bigger, make loud noises and use bear spray if they get too close."

Full story: http://globalnews.ca/news/931363/aggressive-wolf-pack-attack-near-merritt-prompts-warning/

Cami
10-29-2013, 07:52 AM
no no we don't have a wolf problem ....... are you kidding me.
I know what i m gonna do this winter and its not snowboarding :)

winchester284
10-29-2013, 07:53 AM
"The safety alert says anyone who comes across wolves should try to make themselves appear bigger, make loud noises and use bear spray if they get too close."

A wolf pack will take down a full grown moose..... I wonder how big a human needs to make themselves appear to dissuade a wolf pack ? :mrgreen:

caddisguy
10-29-2013, 08:07 AM
"The safety alert says anyone who comes across wolves should try to make themselves appear bigger, make loud noises and use bear spray if they get too close."

A wolf pack will take down a full grown moose..... I wonder how big a human needs to make themselves appear to dissuade a wolf pack ? :mrgreen:

Make yourself look like a bigger meal, check. Pour gravey and bbq sauce over yourself, check. Bear spray if they get close... written by PITA?

How about 30-06 if you spot them anywhere? Pretty sure we must be getting close to the top heavy predator side of the cycle if they are desperate enough to go after dogs with humans around. Hopefully it will tip and they will starve out soon. Would be nice to see deer tracks without wolf tracks on them again too :D

Ozone
10-29-2013, 08:12 AM
Make yourself small until there close, then make a loud boom.

doughan
10-29-2013, 08:21 AM
Does anyone know when the last known human wolf attack happened?

albravo2
10-29-2013, 08:35 AM

Lot's of guys (and gals) on here have attacked 'em. Still lots to go around though.

adriaticum
10-29-2013, 08:36 AM

Couple of weeks ago near Pemberton.

Steeleco
10-29-2013, 08:40 AM
This is such fresh news. LAST WEEK! The news boys must be having a slow news day. Pepper spray indeed.

lookclosely
10-29-2013, 08:43 AM
Okay everyone...settle down. Don't go and get your panties all in a knot and go out blasting every wolf you see. Like the article says, there have only been 2 fatalities in NORTH AMERICAby wolves. TWO...EVER. So when you think of how many people are out walking in the woods, and how many wolves there are, I'd say these creatures are pretty mild mannered. There are far more fatalities every year from pet dogs! (go ahead and Google it) Guess I should start packing heat when I go for a walk around the neighbourhood and blast away at any pooch I see! Man you guys...anything to hit the panick button eh.

AltaElkhunter
10-29-2013, 08:56 AM
Only two bodies found you mean, hard to say how many old time trappers could have been eaten by a pack, lol. I think this is one thing that has been uder reported over time in north America.

takla1
10-29-2013, 08:57 AM
Okay everyone...settle down. Don't go and get your panties all in a knot and go out blasting every wolf you see. Like the article says, there have only been 2 fatalities in NORTH AMERICAby wolves. TWO...EVER. So when you think of how many people are out walking in the woods, and how many wolves there are, I'd say these creatures are pretty mild mannered. There are far more fatalities every year from pet dogs! (go ahead and Google it) Guess I should start packing heat when I go for a walk around the neighbourhood and blast away at any pooch I see! Man you guys...anything to hit the panick button eh.OK,since only two humans were killed in modern recorded history we should let them run ...that's your approach not mine... since I don't eat human and am partial to ungulate I will reseave my right to KILL all wolves I see on site as allowed by law!!These packs propagate very efficiently and the amount of game they take down to satisfy their needs would blow your mind.Ive seen evidence in fresh snow that shows them travelling up to 30 miles a day when on the hunt.hell we have them in the fraser valley now.

10-29-2013, 09:02 AM
The wolves were undoubtedly after the dogs, not the woman. I'm all for culling wolves, but not for human safety concerns.

Ozone
10-29-2013, 09:14 AM
Okay everyone...settle down. Don't go and get your panties all in a knot and go out blasting every wolf you see.

I will blast every one I can. When I get my 3, I will probably start on someone else's. Just so you know, I will probably leave them were they fall also.

Cyrus
10-29-2013, 09:16 AM
Okay everyone...settle down. Don't go and get your panties all in a knot and go out blasting every wolf you see. .

Hmmm...that would be tough suggestion to get hunters to adhere to in this day and age...not to mention no restriction on bag limits...guessing most here would disagree! Would love to get a wolf mount!!

ruger#1
10-29-2013, 09:23 AM
Okay everyone...settle down. Don't go and get your panties all in a knot and go out blasting every wolf you see. Like the article says, there have only been 2 fatalities in NORTH AMERICAby wolves. TWO...EVER. So when you think of how many people are out walking in the woods, and how many wolves there are, I'd say these creatures are pretty mild mannered. There are far more fatalities every year from pet dogs! (go ahead and Google it) Guess I should start packing heat when I go for a walk around the neighbourhood and blast away at any pooch I see! Man you guys...anything to hit the panick button eh.
Sounds like a message from PETA. Thanks I will shoot as many as I legally can.

HIGHRPM
10-29-2013, 09:25 AM
My favorite loud noises to make, BANG, BANG !!

rusal
10-29-2013, 09:52 AM
The wolves were undoubtedly after the dogs, not the woman. I'm all for culling wolves, but not for human safety concerns.

If there were no dogs wolves would go after woman - no doubt, I know a few recent stories when these creatures attacked hunters when they were without pets(luckily guns were loaded and it ended up wolves were put down)

lookclosely
10-29-2013, 10:39 AM
I will blast every one I can. When I get my 3, I will probably start on someone else's. Just so you know, I will probably leave them were they fall also.

...and you, my friend, appear to have pent-up issues.

Remember, Conservation Officers frequent these sites on a regular basis. You may be surprised who you're talking to...:wink:

hare_assassin
10-29-2013, 10:48 AM

Remember, Conservation Officers frequent these sites on a regular basis. You may be surprised who you're talking to...:wink:

And you may be surprised to know that we don't care who visits this site. Do you have any other threats or irrelevant information to share?

Ozone
10-29-2013, 10:58 AM

No issues at all, and I'm not your friend. I don't like peta people.

Remember, Conservation Officers frequent these sites on a regular basis.

So what.

BlackOwL
10-29-2013, 12:33 PM
And you may be surprised to know that we don't care who visits this site. Do you have any other threats or irrelevant information to share?

I don't see as a threat someone telling that CO's come to this site, in fact they do and sites like this is a tool to do their job and detect illegal activities like in some regions wolves must be compulsory reported, some don't, Hunting for wolves has a bag limit in some R's and some don't. and this thread has some reckless comments that make look the majority of hunters like trigger happy and irresponsible guys. Just like I being telling You.
You don't have to put down other folks just because they speak out for the benefit of other hunters who really know ethical behaviour.

Doublelung
10-29-2013, 12:35 PM
The only good wolf I know is a dead one!! 2 so far this year and I'm hoping for twenty more!!

swampdonkey
10-29-2013, 12:38 PM
Any idea where merritt this took place

Steeleco
10-29-2013, 12:44 PM

Yes they do. Lots of different user groups visit here. Some have their own agendas???

skibum
10-29-2013, 01:17 PM

totally agree

Stéphane
10-29-2013, 01:59 PM
Yes they do. Lots of different user groups visit here. Some their own agendas???

Yep, same as I use their sites to see where they saw games. All fair.

Rob Chipman
10-29-2013, 02:04 PM

That reminds me of the Gary Shelton books on grizzly attacks. At one point he calculates the odds of surviving one based on your equipment.

I forget the exact numbers, but the key was the big jump in survivability. It was something like this:

Without anything: 2%
With bear bells: 3%
With bear bells and bear spray: 7%
With bear bells, bear spray and high powered rifle: 65%

Personally, I like the sound of wolves howling and I like the idea that there are wolves out there, but I'm pretty sure that if they thought they could get me they'd also think "more tender and smaller than a moose". There also seems to be no real question that they're expanding territory and population numbers pretty rapidly. I never used to carry a firearm in the backcountry unless I was hunting, but I'm re-considering that these days (especially for bears).

Compared to bears I haven't heard many stories of people who work in the woods having scary encounters with wolves (tree planters, timber cruisers, etc.) It will be interesting to see if this becomes more common, and what the effect on popular wisdom will be. Everyone likes wild grizzlies, right? Most people don't want them shot on sight like we did 100 years ago. However, we're getting reports of them in Squamish, Whistler, upper Pitt Lake/River and Vancouver Island. Wait until they come in and eat some backyard chickens in North Van!

GoatGuy
10-29-2013, 02:12 PM
I think 'we' are going to learn a lot about wolves over the next decade. The Farley Mowat hangover will clear up pretty quickly for the folks in southern BC (outside of the lower mainland of course).

Quince
10-29-2013, 03:14 PM
Once again, does anyone know where this actually happened? Going hunting by merrit, already had one wolf pack spoil a hunt this year.....

BRvalley
10-29-2013, 03:46 PM

yes, and some even know who they are and PM questions....what's your point? I've never met a CO in BC that had a problem with killing wolves, Algonquin park in ON yes, but every CO I've talked to in BC encourages shooting a wolf if the chance arises

you must fish with duallie eh...ha

swampdonkey
10-29-2013, 03:48 PM
Once again, does anyone know where this actually happened? Going hunting by merrit, already had one wolf pack spoil a hunt this year.....Where did that happened

lookclosely
10-29-2013, 04:10 PM
yes, and some even know who they are and PM questions....what's your point? I've never met a CO in BC that had a problem with killing wolves, Algonquin park in ON yes, but every CO I've talked to in BC encourages shooting a wolf if the chance arises

you must fish with duallie eh...ha

Wow, I'm surprised I have to spell it out for you guys. Bottom line is shooting any animal over your bag limit is poaching. Read the posts closely. Some are admitting that they're doing just that. This elicit's attention by the authorities, and 'flags' that individual by the CO's. Many files have been opened and successfully prosecuted by information on these sites, Facebook, etc. Read between the lines gentlemen.

BRvalley
10-29-2013, 04:26 PM
Wow, I'm surprised I have to spell it out for you guys. Bottom line is shooting any animal over your bag limit is poaching. Read the posts closely. Some are admitting that they're doing just that. This elicit's attention by the authorities, and 'flags' that individual by the CO's. Many files have been opened and successfully prosecuted by information on these sites, Facebook, etc. Read between the lines gentlemen.

hmm, perhaps take your own advice and read closely....nobody 'admitted' to shooting over their limit....stating I would 'probably' do something is not the same as actually doing it

ruger#1
10-29-2013, 04:50 PM
Yes, And you could be chatting with a CO right now. So what is your point?

takla1
10-29-2013, 05:09 PM
when a conservation officer tells you to shoot them at any opportunity doesn't seem to indicate wolves need conserving.look it up in the dickionary ........conservation......"preserving something from destruction"if they don't worry about it I surely don't!

Ozone
10-29-2013, 05:20 PM
....nobody 'admitted' to shooting over their limit....stating I would 'probably' do something is not the same as actually doing it

Its all in the wording :) Also there is no compulsory inspection of wolves in BC, only reporting.

E.V.B.H.
10-29-2013, 05:39 PM

Its actually two in the 21st century. There was many more between 1900 and 1999. Any many more before that. Google it!

afflicted 1
10-29-2013, 06:31 PM
Bear spray..30 cal

Steve W
10-29-2013, 07:11 PM
I'm a CO and have been on this site for a while now. I was a hunter before I became a CO and I still will be a hunter after I retire. I don't take much of what I read here as gospel - it's the internet for C.sake! I have PM'd people about questions they have and people have PM'd me looking for information. People on the internet post with an alias so you can tou really take a lot of what they say seriously? I read the stuff that interests me as a hunter and as a person interested in hunting. We get thousands of calls a year to our call center. Searching out long shots on the internet from anonymous posters isn't high on my to do list. Send me something solid in a PM, that's a different story.

HARDICAT
10-29-2013, 07:32 PM
Nice to know we have someone to bounce questions off. Thanks Steve

Moose Guide
10-29-2013, 08:17 PM

Candice Berner-2010 Alaska
Kenton Carnegie-2005 Saskatchewan
Native woman at Suffle Lake Ontario-1980's
Trapper and 2 natives-1922 Ontario
Ben Cochrum-1922 Manitoba
James Smith-1910 Missouri
Father and son, Family name Olsen-1888 North Dakota
Thats at least 10 and there are more not to mention people who just disappeared.

Pete
10-29-2013, 08:26 PM
The wolves were doing what wolves do, taking care of invaders into their territories. In this case Dogs. The human was a bystander!!!

albravo2
10-29-2013, 08:34 PM
I'm a CO and have been on this site for a while now. I was a hunter before I became a CO and I still will be a hunter after I retire. I don't take much of what I read here as gospel - it's the internet for C.sake! I have PM'd people about questions they have and people have PM'd me looking for information. People on the internet post with an alias so you can tou really take a lot of what they say seriously? I read the stuff that interests me as a hunter and as a person interested in hunting. We get thousands of calls a year to our call center. Searching out long shots on the internet from anonymous posters isn't high on my to do list. Send me something solid in a PM, that's a different story.

Steve, I'm very glad you're on here.

I sent a PM to Gatehouse a week ago suggesting a forum heading for 'Ask a CO'. He agreed it would be a good idea. It would be fantastic to be able to ask a question about the regs or the Act. As you have clearly identified, you can't believe half of what you read on here and it would be very cool to get straight answers on grey areas and interpretations.

Rob Chipman
10-29-2013, 08:51 PM
Steve W.

"Searching out long shots on the internet from anonymous posters isn't high on my to do list."

Glad to hear it, and it's pretty much what I expected.

OT, are you saying you don't/can't hunt while a CO? If so that ain't fair!

RiverOtter
10-29-2013, 08:54 PM
The wolves were doing what wolves do, taking care of invaders into their territories. In this case Dogs. The human was a bystander!!!

No doubt the dogs were likely the original target, but you can't honestly believe they didn't pick up a strong smell of human from the lady with the dogs. They still pressed the attack.....

It's not gonna be long before B.C. has a serious/fatal wolf attack on a human. Hopefully then a few more heads will pop outta the sand.........

Wrayzer
10-29-2013, 08:58 PM

http://i.imgur.com/ttIatJG.gif

40incher
10-29-2013, 09:07 PM
Yeah, .... well ...

Every time there is a cougar attack, or a bear attack, or a wolf attack, it is "very unusual and nothing to worry about" ... according to the C.O.'s ...

Time to quit playing favourites.

Underplaying predator impacts is becoming very old.

Iron Sighted
10-29-2013, 09:18 PM
The only good wolf I know is a dead one!! 2 so far this year and I'm hoping for twenty more!!

Let me know if you want any help wolf hunting this winter, I plan to try and get a few myself but have no experience hunting wolves and would appreciate any opportunity to learn from an experienced individual. I'm assuming you got your wolves in Tumbler Ridge, not on the island?

horshur
10-29-2013, 09:21 PM
Yeah, .... well ...

Every time there is a cougar attack, or a bear attack, or a wolf attack, it is "very unusual and nothing to worry about" ... according to the C.O.'s ...

Time to quit playing favourites.

Underplaying predator impacts is becoming very old.

I couldn't say it better...if that was a kid walking her dog..

HarryToolips
10-29-2013, 09:22 PM
I was near there a month ago and heard em howlin..love to blast em..

M.Dean
10-29-2013, 09:44 PM
Why not have a real nice web site with nothing but Wolves on it, pictures, video's, wolves licking Kid's faces, Wolves playing with each other, Wolves frolicking with people, maybe even teach a few to catch a Frezzby and a few to knit sweaters, I don't care!! The Wolf lovers could watch this channel 24-7!!! Then, kill every God Dam Wolf on this Planet!!! Besides eating the slower Moose and Deer when there still alive, which to me seems like about the worst way for any animal to die, what dam good are they??? If you like to hear a Wolf howl on a moon lite night, turn the Wolf channel on! You want to watch Wolves at play, turn the bloody Wolf channel on I said!!! What could be easier??? God help the Wolves if I ever get elected President!!!

f350ps
10-29-2013, 10:16 PM
^^^ For what it's worth, you'd get my vote!! K

Steve W
10-29-2013, 10:26 PM
Steve, I'm very glad you're on here.

I sent a PM to Gatehouse a week ago suggesting a forum heading for 'Ask a CO'. He agreed it would be a good idea. It would be fantastic to be able to ask a question about the regs or the Act. As you have clearly identified, you can't believe half of what you read on here and it would be very cool to get straight answers on grey areas and interpretations.

You're right about a sub-forum, but I wouldn't want to take the abuse that would come with it. That may be a bit blunt, but I've seen some other forums where officers, RCMP and CVSA get crucified for trying to explain things that people don't want to hear or don't agree with.. It's also hard to be an expert on every definition and regulation. Someone always has a friend who got a ticket, who didn't do anything wrong, and the CO was wrong and on and on it goes. However PM me with a question and I'll try to answer or point you where you need to look.

Steve

Steve W
10-29-2013, 10:33 PM
Steve W.

OT, are you saying you don't/can't hunt while a CO? If so that ain't fair!

No restrictions on hunting. I meant that I've been hunting longer than I've been a CO and will continue when I'm done.

troutseeker
10-30-2013, 12:45 AM

Lol. That's right, CO's are welcome here too!

doughan
10-30-2013, 06:29 AM
I was on the KVR yesterday and found three sets of wolf tracks! They may of had a kill as we saw a lot of Magpies and ravens off the trail a ways! Deer numbers have been down this year in our hunting area and this has to be why!

Walksalot
10-30-2013, 07:34 AM
When I first heard the story I wondered to myself if there would have been any aggression toward the lady had the dogs not been there.
Like any predator the wolf is part of Mother Nature's Wildlife Management Strategy. Like any wildlife strategy the management of the predators is part of the checks and balances we humans use to maintain a balance with the wildlife populations . To leave any predator unchecked opens the door to causing the balance to swing out of control but that being said, to over harvest or to consider eliminating a predator from the management equation would not only be fool hardy but it would be a travesty. Personally, being from the Okanagan, I have never seen a wolf. I would not shoot the first wolf I see, unless there were circumstances to make me feel different, as I would consider it a privilege to see such a magnificent animal. That being said, if there came a time when I felt the animals were gaining in population to the extent of being detrimental to the balance within the wildlife populations I would have to reassess my position on whether or not to do my part to reduce the wolf population.
Now a days when I go for a stroll in the woods I pack my rifle regardless of the time of year. . I have seen enough in my years in the bush to realize I do not want myself or my dog to be an easy meal to any predator. If a predator was to come at my dog with bad intentions I would do my best to persuade that animal to leave my dog alone. The discussion could become very heated.

AltaElkhunter
10-30-2013, 07:38 AM
Alberta not only has no limits on how many wolves one can kill, some grazing associations will pay you to kill them. They are still becoming a bigger problem province wide, but in the south west corner they are looking like the elk may not survive. A very high number of grizzly's must also play a part in it, but they seem to have gained a taste for beef lately.

hare_assassin
10-30-2013, 08:42 AM
No restrictions on hunting.

I assume by that you mean the same restrictions shared by all of us (non-status) hunters? ;)

hare_assassin
10-30-2013, 08:44 AM
.... The discussion could become very heated.

... along with your rifle barrel, eh? :)

RINO
10-30-2013, 09:21 AM
My favorite loud noises to make, BANG, BANG !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJUCUw7ZQPI&sns=em

GoatGuy
10-30-2013, 09:53 AM
When I first heard the story I wondered to myself if there would have been any aggression toward the lady had the dogs not been there.
Like any predator the wolf is part of Mother Nature's Wildlife Management Strategy. Like any wildlife strategy the management of the predators is part of the checks and balances we humans use to maintain a balance with the wildlife populations . To leave any predator unchecked opens the door to causing the balance to swing out of control but that being said, to over harvest or to consider eliminating a predator from the management equation would not only be fool hardy but it would be a travesty. Personally, being from the Okanagan, I have never seen a wolf. I would not shoot the first wolf I see, unless there were circumstances to make me feel different, as I would consider it a privilege to see such a magnificent animal. That being said, if there came a time when I felt the animals were gaining in population to the extent of being detrimental to the balance within the wildlife populations I would have to reassess my position on whether or not to do my part to reduce the wolf population.
Now a days when I go for a stroll in the woods I pack my rifle regardless of the time of year. . I have seen enough in my years in the bush to realize I do not want myself or my dog to be an easy meal to any predator. If a predator was to come at my dog with bad intentions I would do my best to persuade that animal to leave my dog alone. The discussion could become very heated.

Just over the hill from ya, this is in 8-12

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/wolf8.jpg
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/hbc11.jpg
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/MDGC000110.JPG
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/wolf22.jpg

Steve W
10-30-2013, 10:43 AM
I assume by that you mean the same restrictions shared by all of us (non-status) hunters? ;)

You guys love to split hares :-D. There are restrictions on being involved in some commercial activities while a CO, but not on hunting or fishing recreationally.

lookclosely
10-30-2013, 10:57 AM
I'm a CO...

So am I :wink:

hawk-i
10-30-2013, 10:58 AM

Ah yes but.....every year people go missing in BC and are "Never" found again!!!! Who's to say!!!!!

Stone Sheep Steve
10-30-2013, 11:07 AM

Also 8-12 right near the 8-09 boundary.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/DSC01158.JPG (javascript:;)

swampdonkey
10-30-2013, 11:10 AM
Where did this happen near merritt

BlackOwL
10-30-2013, 11:16 AM
[QUOTE=M.Dean;1406179]Why not have a real nice web site with nothing but Wolves on it, pictures, video's, wolves licking Kid's faces, Wolves playing with each other, Wolves frolicking with people, maybe even teach a few to catch a Frezzby and a few to knit sweaters, I don't care!! The Wolf lovers could watch this channel 24-7!!! Then, kill every God Dam Wolf on this Planet!!! Besides eating the slower Moose and Deer when there still alive, which to me seems like about the worst way for any animal to die, what dam good are they??? If you like to hear a Wolf howl on a moon lite night, turn the Wolf channel on! You want to watch Wolves at play, turn the bloody Wolf channel on I said!!! What could be easier??? God help the Wolves if I ever get elected President!!![/QUOTE

What about to keep the balance in the rodent population, I don't think that in the whole thread somebody is saying DO NOT KILL WOLVES, What some folks are saying, (including Me) is express Yourselves with caution, and don't give animal rights activists a reason to keep attacking Hunting.
Some comments seem to have a highly mentally unbalanced individuals behind.
That said, go ahead and kill wolves, obey the law, bag limit, and make sure of your target and beyond, have fun and enjoy your hunt, but don't kill just because somebody tells you wolves are bad, the reason of bag limit is to keep the balance between species.
All this in contrast to go in a rampage and vanish a whole specie from the face of the earth will take hunters to declare an open season for mouse.

Mishka
10-30-2013, 11:29 AM
What about to keep the balance in the rodent population, I don't think that in the whole thread somebody is saying DO NOT KILL WOLVES, What some folks are saying, (including Me) is express Yourselves with caution, and don't give animal rights activists a reason to keep attacking Hunting.
Some comments seem to have a highly mentally unbalanced individuals behind.
That said, go ahead and kill wolves, obey the law, bag limit, and make sure of your target and beyond, have fun and enjoy your hunt, but don't kill just because somebody tells you wolves are bad, the reason of bag limit is to keep the balance between species.
All this in contrast to go in a rampage and vanish a whole specie from the face of the earth will take hunters to declare an open season for mouse.

x2 Keep the emotions out of it. - On both sides of the argument.

hare_assassin
10-30-2013, 12:01 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxXOMwhl9_g

BigfishCanada
10-30-2013, 12:56 PM
I had a pack that came close, had my quad near, got the hell outta there as sun was fast going down. What do you expect, no surpise, they are hunters. Ill blast any wolf I see regardless of that attack, just haven't been able to get a shot off, they are fast!!!

GarryG
10-30-2013, 01:14 PM
Any idea where merritt this took place

This took place on the Lower Michael road, at the end of it.
This is near Michael Lake, SE of Merritt....about 8-10 Km off the Coquihalla Hwy from the Juliet Creek exit.

Glenny
10-30-2013, 01:19 PM
So no-one knows what area around Merritt these wolves are? It's been asked several times here. C'mon man I'm not looking for your wolf honey holes.

Good2bCanadian
10-30-2013, 01:53 PM
First wolf I've ever seen

200yards 30/06 180grain
http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x415/mikesmith7/image_zps70dba534.jpg (http://s1180.photobucket.com/user/mikesmith7/media/image_zps70dba534.jpg.html)

Came in to a predator call.

Region 3-30

swampdonkey
10-30-2013, 02:09 PM
This took place on the Lower Michael road, at the end of it.
This is near Michael Lake, SE of Merritt....about 8-10 Km off the Coquihalla Hwy from the Juliet Creek exit.
Thanks Garry that's what I was looking for

Beachcomber
10-30-2013, 03:38 PM
Does anyone have any sources for province wide wolf numbers other than the provincial management plan submitted last year? That report seems to come in for significant criticism from various interest groups - some valid, some less so. Among the more valid objections to my mind is the approximation they use for putting a number on the wolf population, using an average of 8k and splitting the difference between 6k - 10k. That seems a pretty broad generalisation to me and not a very good basis for developing a management regime. Surely there must be more than anecdotal accounts to underpin the views expressed on here (ie hard scientific evidence of over predation in some areas etc)? Having only recently returned to the province I am trying to catch up so would welcome any leads.

The Dawg
10-30-2013, 03:43 PM
www.wolftracker.ca

Sign up, we have the exact location of this mapped, as well as a lot of other wolf 'honey holes'

Singleshotneeded
10-30-2013, 04:31 PM
Make squeaky rodent noises and then unload on them with your rifle when they get into range...save a few hundred deer, blow a wolf's head off!

ruger#1
10-30-2013, 04:34 PM
This is how they should be traped, Then tossed in a body of water.
https://wm.shaw.ca/service/home/~/?auth=co&id=94460&part=2

gcreek
10-30-2013, 09:00 PM
It amazes me that so many see pine beetle turds full of moose, deer, cariboo, elk and cow hair and still don't get it!

Those that haven't had first hand experience with predators should hold their fuzzy little opinions to themselves until they actually know what they are talking about.

I was once told by an MOE official that people could shoot every wolf they get a chance to and never get more than 10% of the population. In my experience I would say that is a close estimation.

Is there any way to know how many wolves are shot in this province annually?

Steeleco
10-30-2013, 10:32 PM
So no-one knows what area around Merritt these wolves are? It's been asked several times here. C'mon man I'm not looking for your wolf honey holes.

Last Friday while looking for WT does, I was working a game call. Wolves called back three of 4 times. Shovelnose mtn north side, I've come real close to shooting black dogs in the Dodds lake area not just a few times. If I see one tomorrow, it will be posted here once home!!

khoffnbud
10-31-2013, 05:50 AM

You sir are clearly not up-to-date on the wolf situation in BC, get educated

BRvalley
10-31-2013, 08:21 AM
You sir are clearly not up-to-date on the wolf situation in BC, get educated

he should be already educated on the wolf situation, he's a CO! a bonafide internet CO hahha

So am I :wink:

adriaticum
11-03-2013, 09:15 PM
Interesting that they call this a Merrit wolf incident. Actually it was closer to Hope than Merrit :-D