PDA

View Full Version : books on how to train cougar hounds

ru rancher
10-28-2013, 10:59 PM
so the title pretty much explains it i am interested in how to train cougar hounds and all that not to seriouse about it yet thats why id like to read some books so if anyone has any suggestions could you just post them up here thanks

chilcotin hillbilly
11-01-2013, 07:00 AM
Pretty easy,
Step one :find a hound or two that likes to trail and tree.
Step two : find a fresh cougar track
Step three: follow the track with the hounds until they decide they want to run it.
Step four: take pictures of cougar in tree.

Something like that. Cougar are the easiest animal to hunt with hounds next to coons.
Be prepared to spend some $$$$$ as you will need tracking collars, and shock collars and lots of time working you dogs on obediance before ever going hunting.

K-1
11-01-2013, 09:18 AM
Get a subscription to Full Cry magazine, there is a lot of info in them, also dogs for sale and equipment that you will need.

ru rancher
11-01-2013, 09:32 AM
ya like iv bin with people with new dogs training them but i want some expert knowledge cause these guys are my age and dont have much expieriance big thing is how do you teach them to only go after cougar tracks do you just keep them on a leash until you are confident that is all they are going to follow?

ru rancher
11-01-2013, 09:35 AM
also how do you pick the best from a litter of pups?

horshur
11-01-2013, 09:45 AM
"you don't train hounds you hunt them".......any hound worth his salt is already gonna run a track from maybe 6 months on....your job is to hunt them.

teaching then to come when called is the foundation of trash breaking.....

bwarwaruk
11-01-2013, 12:55 PM
also how do you pick the best from a litter of pups?

I picked my lab out of ten based on the puppy's energy level. I wanted a medium energy level puppy that would grow into a dog that was easier to train than the high energy puppys and still have the energy level to want to retrieve. I dont know how this would relate to hounds, but I would suspect that it would be very similiar. That's my 2 cents on it...or is it a nickel now?

cougar1954
11-01-2013, 10:20 PM
here my list of books full cry, Never a time to trust, Call of the hounds, Brave and other storys, Hunting american lions, The long walker, and The silent crossing
all good reading and most these books go in some training and pup picking hope this helps

Sniper
11-18-2013, 08:53 AM
The book that is considered the bible of cougar hound training is called WALK WITH WICK, you can get it through some gun dog websites. It is a fairly thick book and covers every detail from A-Z, good luck !