PDA

View Full Version : Wall Tents: Size considerations.

Ambush
10-28-2013, 08:06 PM
I'm kicking around the idea of getting a small wall tent. I've been backpack hunting for so long that I've become somewhat of a minimalist and don't really plan to change that principle.

Right now, I thinking a 10X12 wall tent would be a good size for me because I'm not looking for a home away from home with all the delights. Sleeping, eating and drying out if the weather is bad. One or two people, odd time three and four is a rare possibly. This is a camp that will still have to be carted, off road, by quad.

When I mention 10X12 some people claim 12X14 is minimum. And when I say 12X14, some claim 14X18 is the smallest workable size. Seems like tents are like boats, always got be two feet longer. :mrgreen:

Does anybody have any experience camping in a 10X12 wall tent?

Anybody have one for sale?

kodimack
10-28-2013, 08:21 PM
I have a 12x14 lots of room for 2 people and a stove , 3 people is comfortable ,4 well its kind of tight. If you have no stove there is lots of room for 4 people.

GoatGuy
10-28-2013, 08:27 PM
The 5' or better walls seem to be the nicest 'luxury' in a wall tent.

swampthing
10-28-2013, 09:09 PM
I have a 10x12 with 5 ft walls. I stay in it alone all the time. Its perfect and easy to set up. I use a rope between 2 trees for the center support and ropes down the sides to tie them off. I have slept 3 people in it a few times and its tight but works. By myself I put a cot, table and wood stove in it for the plushest hunt camp I ever have. I would take your stove but I am sure its spoken for by now.

boxhitch
10-28-2013, 09:23 PM
Have used a 10 x 12 w/ 3ft walls for several hunts. Two guys and a stove and there is room for luxury, but you sit on the floor. Have had 4 guys and a stove during a stormy week and things got a little close , and the lucky guy closest to the stove was always too hot and too worried about getting burnt to sleep very well.
4 ft wall and you can sit a chair closer to the walls , 5 ft gives lots of clearance so more usable floor space.
Consider you can get by with 24 " width for each camper , but 36" is a lot more comfortable.

DartNorth
10-28-2013, 10:43 PM
12x14 is a really good size. You can put 4 cots side by side at the back, you have some distance from the stove at the front, a table on the other side at the front, or an extra cot.
Get a door at the back, or hang a sharp knife just in case there is a fire. A porch is nice too, even if it is just a tarp porch.
If weight and room is a concern, erect a wood frame. If you always go back to the same area, you can leave it up and use it again year after year. If you have the room, an internal frame is nice and fast to set up, plus gives you places to hang lantern, clothes lines etc.
Use cots, and keep clothes and gear in Rubbermaid totes that fit under them. Stuff stays clean and dry, even if you wake up with that unexpected river running through. Rubbermaids for food will keep the mice out as well. Bears, not so much.

BlacktailStalker
10-29-2013, 12:50 AM
The 5' or better walls seem to be the nicest 'luxury' in a wall tent.

Yes 5'6" walls makes for more useable space allowing you to feel a bit smaller of a tent is adequate. I have 5'6" wall in a 14x16 and it feels enormous. 10x12 seems ideal for 2 people.

vip_ruger
10-29-2013, 01:04 AM
I have a 12x14 forsale great shape and a good price if intrested pm me no poles used only 4 trips wife wanted a trailer for the new baby so i have no use for it now

hitch
10-29-2013, 07:21 AM
My 10x12 has 5ft walls and is perfect for 2 guys. I've done 3 many times and it works , you just have to be a little more organized. If I was buying a new one, I'd probably go with 12x14. Just a little more room.

killman
10-29-2013, 07:31 AM
I have a what I believe is a 10X12 with 3 foot walls you are welcome yo see if it suits your needs. No stove hole. I may even part with it.

tobertuzzi
10-29-2013, 07:34 AM
10x12 is a great size for 2-3 guys. As said 3 with a stove and table is a bit tight but manageable.

Ambush
10-29-2013, 07:47 AM
I have a what I believe is a 10X12 with 3 foot walls you are welcome yo see if it suits your needs. No stove hole. I may even part with it.

Yeah, you don't need to be slumming it in that dinky thing anymore!! :-D :mrgreen: How's the new digs? Thanks for the offer Shane, I'll likely take you up on that.

Thanks for the advice on the higher walls guys. Never really thought of that but it certainly makes sense.

I see that many people lay a tarp right over their canvass tents. Does that inhibit the breath-ability significantly or do you have to maintain an air space between the tarp and tent?

longwalk
10-29-2013, 08:03 AM
If you could occasionally have four people, the 12 by 14' is probably be the minimum you would want if people are sleeping on cots.

Stone Sheep Steve
10-29-2013, 08:20 AM
I borrowed a friend's 6x9' for a fly-in trip a number of years ago. It was big enough for two guys, stove and drying out gear for 2 weeks but, of course, fitting 3 guys is in there was out of the question.
Walls were short but it sure beat the hell out of a regular tent in the snow.....so "luxury" is certainly a relative term.

SSS

bigwhiteys
10-29-2013, 08:36 AM
I have a 14'x14' "Eena" tent by Beckel Canvas. It's not your standard wall tent shape. It's a pyramid tent, very light weight, very fast to setup solo. The whole unit weighs about 35lbs. Lots of room for 2 - 4 people, including all gear and a stove. Mine is at least 15 years old and still going strong. I will probably buy another if this one ever packs it in.

GoatGuy
10-29-2013, 08:53 AM
We slept 2 kids and 5 adults in the 12X14X5 a couple weeks ago all on the ground. Had room for more.

Have one of those yurt style tents as well - lighter so works better for horse trips but it has low walls and it's dark green so you always need a light on inside.

Ambush
10-29-2013, 08:58 AM
I have a 14'x14' "Eena" tent by Beckel Canvas. It's not your standard wall tent shape. It's a pyramid tent, very light weight, very fast to setup solo. The whole unit weighs about 35lbs. Lots of room for 2 - 4 people, including all gear and a stove. Mine is at least 15 years old and still going strong. I will probably buy another if this one ever packs it in.

I looked it up and they are still making them. Nice, compact package and would be great for fly-ins. Especially above treeline where local poles are unavailable and weight/bulk are a big consideration.

Do you have the tarp fly option?

Ambush
10-29-2013, 09:01 AM
Have one of those yurt style tents as well - lighter so works better for horse trips but it has low walls and it's dark green so you always need a light on inside.

Once a person starts looking, there are more options to tent camps then just the standard ones most of us know about. Good thing I have some time.

hitch
10-29-2013, 09:10 AM

My tent was like this one. Brought it to a canvas guy in Van. He added 2ft all the way around. Had to cut in a stove pipe hole and boom, good to go.

bigwhiteys
10-29-2013, 12:25 PM
I looked it up and they are still making them. Nice, compact package and would be great for fly-ins. Especially above treeline where local poles are unavailable and weight/bulk are a big consideration.

Do you have the tarp fly option?

Yes I have the tent fly. My tent is the Eena "TT" not the standard Eena they show on the site. My Grandpa liked these tents because they were light and easy to pack and he could throw them in his supercub with no issues. Beckel used to have their booth next to my Grandpas for many years at one of the sheep shows so that's how he was introduced. There are several outfitters in BC using these tents if you look around you'll see pics of them on their websites, it's an easy to recognize tent.

killman
10-29-2013, 06:56 PM
Ya. The new diggs are pretty nice. I didn't get a real nice picture yet though. Have to wait for next time. Deluxe said to put the tarp right on top, that it didn't need a air space. I had asked because they sent a tarp with the tent:mrgreen:.
My stove wasn't quit big enough for me. If I shut it right down it would lady but not make quite enough heat for me. I ended up adding wood about every 3 hours.

moosinaround
10-29-2013, 07:22 PM
Bought a 10x12 with Brett this year. 4 guys with cots and a stove makes it very cozy!!!!! 2 guys is a perfect amount for 10x12!! 1 guy a 10x 12 would feel like a palace. Get the tall walls!! Moosin

longwalk
10-29-2013, 07:31 PM
One day I am going to get an 8' by 10' to use by myself. Saw one once set up with a stove and single cot and it looked great for one person. Easy to set up and take down by yourself also.