PDA

View Full Version : Close.. but no Moose!

bucket
10-28-2013, 07:36 PM
Well, had a very interesting weekend in 8-05. I won't say where exactly, but we were driving on the quads at about 2pm and I saw what looked like a small, tall black car in the top of a clearing. Sure enough it was a nice big moose - I swear I got the binocs on it and thought at least 1 spike, maybe 2 but it was way up the hill.

Took the ATV to the next corner, hiked STRAIGHT UP about 1.5km to the other end of that treeline (thankfully it actually connected), and came around the back and now there are 2 moose standing about 50 yards from me. WOW my heart raced, pulled up the rifle and quickly counted 2 spikes on the big one. I was staring in complete disbelief thinking I have a shot, I see 2 spikes, this is amazing (this is probably the closest I've been to a moose). Now, he's looking right at me, so erring on the side of caution I waited for him to turn away. @#*()(#@) damn - he had a tiny paddle hiding behind the spike which was TOTALLY hidden looking dead on. Thank god I waited. Sites go to the other moose, but it's clearly his girlie of the moment. Being on a GOS, this was a pass but a huge re-inforcement on the effort.

Off they wandered, leaving me exhilerated and wondering if more Moose like this area.

The next day, we came up to the spot about an hour before this time (leaving the early morning for deer hunting, and expecting this big guys would be out earlier than we could be hunting with the moonlight) and we saw tracks nearby. Hiked up with my buddy. Started a 30,25,20.. cow call and about 2 hours later a Cow and a Calf came through. 4 moose in 2 days in the same spot. This trail is hot! Then I hiked a bit over the ridge and could hear a moose stomping in the water, thrashing about and making a huge racket. Tried to call him out - no dice. Now we're at 5 moose!

So we planned to go stake it at 5am on Sunday, but sadly woke up to dumping snow/flurries and under the assumption they would take this foul morning as a reason to stay in bed, did some truck hunting for deer. Haha - this also kept us nice and warm. So at 10am or 11am we came by, 0 tracks so that was a 4-5 hour freezing rain/snow stake we avoided and could confirm wasn't a loss from no tracks. And then I had to go home for work monday.

What a rush, I am trying so hard to re-arrange my schedule at work so I can get another few days there, but I think it won't be for 2 weeks until right before season shut. Hoping to find some good reading on moose migration and or biology to indicate if I might find them still in that area in a couple weeks with snow coming, or their rut phases. Does anyone have some good old books I might try to find at the library on Moose ? Any hints ? I really am interested in their behaviour, and hoping to quench my frustration a bit by learning.

Amazing encounters, with amazing creatures. Kind of took the wind out of my bear kill to have such a near catch on a Moose!

two-feet
10-28-2013, 08:54 PM
A great book by Valerius Geist

"Moose- behaviour, ecology, conservation"

any book by that guy is pretty much worth its weight in gold

MB_Boy
10-28-2013, 09:19 PM
This is a good one....my Dad authored a few chapters and there is an image of yours truly in it, yet no royalties yet! :wink:

You used to be able to find cheaper copies of the first edition on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.ca/Ecology-Management-American-Second-Edition/dp/0870818953

savagecanuck
10-28-2013, 09:52 PM
Pays to be careful. My son had same experience 10 days ago a single spike and a hand sized paddle. I had one scoped off 3 on one side and by the time he turned a after being chased by a paddler I was sure it was only 2 on the left side.Was only 98% sure and he was 200 yds out then,I passed as was not a full 100%.Nothing to prove better to hold off. I can always get a buck.