PDA

View Full Version : Newbie looking to duck hunt in ladner

blacksn95
10-28-2013, 05:41 PM
Hi All!! I'm fairly new to waterfowling and was wondering of anyone can show me the ropes in the lowermainland? Me and my friend have tried (unsuccessfully) to duck hunt out in boundary bay... I jist someone to show us what to do and what to get (decoys, calls etc)

thanks,

Vince

Moe.JKU
10-29-2013, 10:42 AM
From what i have seen out there which is where i started last year. All most of the shots you take are just pass shooting. I found more success to happen when its rainy and windy out there, just more ducks in the air.
This year we have a field and it has increased out success by leaps and bounds. First thing i would suggest is get a copy of the fraser valley map look where you are aloud to shot, knock on doors see if they will let you.
For a call tallk to blacktail on here he makes a very good call. Actually looking to get a few more from him fairly soon.
Just keep getting out there, you will start to see some patterns in the ducks, notice what spooks them, areas they like to sit in etc. Thats my limited experience help, maybe someone else will pitch in, but its hard to find good fields yourself, let alone people to take you out to those fields in the fraser valley.

Kudu
10-29-2013, 11:11 AM
Go to the bottom of 64 street - make your way down to the water - set up robo duck, get yourself into lay down blind - blow on duck call - shoot ducks when you see their feet.

If that fails then find a field - get permission - retry steps above.

widger
10-29-2013, 11:44 AM
I used to hunt in Boundary Bay for years. The number one thing for good shooting is strong winds. Most of the winter storms come out of the SE and when it is blowing you need to be there at first light. As mentioned it is pass shooting, but when the wind is blowing you only need your shotgun and shells and waders and you can clean up. I have had limits of birds in storm conditions in a matter of minutes. If it is not blowing it can be much tougher out there. I usually would drive to the end of 72nd Ave and then walk down the dyke to the right a couple of hundred meters past the power grounding station and then head straight out into the marsh. I usually stood as close to the water line as I could or hid behind the large stumps out there. The lights off the greenhouses highlight when the brids are flying as well at first light so keep your head up. Good luck.

blacksn95
10-29-2013, 05:46 PM
Thanks for all the advice guys!! I will be back out there this Sat and see how it goes!

Cheers!!

Vince

mcmullmar
11-11-2013, 03:33 PM
I was down there this weekend. I'm to am looking at hunting around the lower mainland. What do the non hunters say when you are down there? Anyone say anything to you?

Kudu
11-11-2013, 05:49 PM
I was down there this weekend. I'm to am looking at hunting around the lower mainland. What do the non hunters say when you are down there? Anyone say anything to you?.

Was down there with my son once - a tree hugger started farting and performing about the threat our shotguns where to the marsh hawks and owls - after I had carefully explained that we "Africans" would eat anything, however no matter how I cooked the hawks and owls they still tasted like shit - he retreated back into his RV and with belch of diesel smoke - left!!

mcmullmar
11-11-2013, 06:55 PM
HAHAHAHA. Thats funny.