PDA

View Full Version : Know your backstop and beyond question while hunting

huntingtime
10-28-2013, 04:10 PM
When hunting with a rifle what do people consider "backstops" An embankment?,
Trees?

I am not talking about target practice.

Obviously the use of common sense is a must.

Aheny
10-28-2013, 04:23 PM
I never fire if I dont see dirt behind my intended target. It really doesnt matter what it is, as long as its solid, and my bullet isnt going to take a ballistic arc into the yonder

adriaticum
10-28-2013, 05:16 PM
Ideally you should be able to see the horizon behind the target.

huntingtime
10-31-2013, 04:17 PM
I never fire if I dont see dirt behind my intended target. It really doesnt matter what it is, as long as its solid, and my bullet isnt going to take a ballistic arc into the yonder

Dirt only. Ok thanks that what I have been thinking as well. That sure changes the amount of opportunities one might have at a shot.

tinhorse
10-31-2013, 04:29 PM
If you only shoot at animals with dirt behind them, I would suggest hunting from a stand so you are looking down at your target... Know the area you are hunting, in a flat cut block surrounded by trees you wont have any chance to shoot with dirt behind the targeted animal. If you know that it is a km of thick bush and trees behind your target and you know that you are the only one in the block you should be good to shoot. Obviously there could be the 1 in a billion chance that some other person is in the thick trees but lets be real. If everybody didn't shoot unless dirt was behind their game then this site would be pretty boring and have very very few pics to look at! Just be safe and use common sense.

Gateholio
10-31-2013, 04:47 PM
I generally use the animal as a backstop. ,)

hare_assassin
10-31-2013, 05:02 PM
If I see nothing but sky behind the animal, I won't shoot. Ever.

Beyond that I have enough common sense to let my gut decide what is safe and what isn't.

Dannybuoy
10-31-2013, 05:08 PM
I generally use the animal as a backstop. ,)

I ALWAYS use the animal as a backstop but I like the way you think Gatehouse

Fella
10-31-2013, 05:34 PM
I usually load my truck with sandbags so that if I spot an animal I can sneak up behind it, create a safe backstop then go back to my original position for the shot

huntingtime
11-01-2013, 10:38 AM
If you only shoot at animals with dirt behind them, I would suggest hunting from a stand so you are looking down at your target... Know the area you are hunting, in a flat cut block surrounded by trees you wont have any chance to shoot with dirt behind the targeted animal. If you know that it is a km of thick bush and trees behind your target and you know that you are the only one in the block you should be good to shoot. Obviously there could be the 1 in a billion chance that some other person is in the thick trees but lets be real. If everybody didn't shoot unless dirt was behind their game then this site would be pretty boring and have very very few pics to look at! Just be safe and use common sense.

Thanks tinhorse. I was really wondering how a lot of shots would be possible.

Aheny
11-01-2013, 12:45 PM
What I was getting at when I said dirt, was I dont shoot uphill where my bullet is going to lob into the yonder if I miss.

eaglesnester
11-01-2013, 03:55 PM
Yup, the animal is my backstop also