PDA

View Full Version : New Wild Sheep Society Website

bighornbob
01-30-2007, 12:06 PM
Hey guys just visited the site and I see the new site is up. It looks great and has info on current projects and the Horn Curl Education Program. Check it out.

http://www.wildsheepsociety.org

They also have thier own forum for sheep hunting and sheep questions.

BHB

Gateholio
01-30-2007, 12:59 PM
I was just reading the current newsletter last night, and I was intending to check ou thte new site, thanks8-)

BCrams
01-30-2007, 01:02 PM
I got 11 out of 12 on the sheep quiz. The question I 'supposedly' got wrong is clearly a shooter.

The sheep quiz can be improved on.

Krico
01-30-2007, 01:04 PM
The horn curl education program is a great addition, with a test available to see how good your judging really is. Kind of fun. Would have liked to see a few more thinhorns on there though. The one I got wrong was an obvious smasher, but not viewed from the side...

bigwhiteys
01-30-2007, 01:06 PM
I got 11 out of 12 on the sheep quiz. I think the sheep quiz can be made better than it is.

I scored the same and the question I got wrong was a Ram I said NO to shooting but they said I should have dumped him...????? I thought I was being the conservationist.

They could definitely do a better job then that... And the focus was almost entirely on Bighorn.

Happy Hunting!
Carl

Krico
01-30-2007, 01:08 PM
I scored the same and the question I got wrong was a Ram I said NO to shooting but they said I should have dumped him...????? I thought I was being the conservationist.

They could definitely do a better job then that... And the focus was almost entirely on Bighorn.

Happy Hunting!
Carl

Come on Carl, pull the trigger!

bigwhiteys
01-30-2007, 01:28 PM
Come on Carl, pull the trigger! I couldn't do it on him... I did choose to shoot some of the others though.

I don't think this "would you shoot it" Yes/No is a very good test.

Personally I think they could make it a little more interactive... Show a few sets of horns close up, from the side, from above, from below... show 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 and Full Curls. Explain lamb tips, bases and and how they relate to a good ram. Show more pictures... Maybe some short videos. Play out a few different hunting scenarios one might experience...

Maybe guess the score and age on some taxi'd heads etc... Have a short video that explains the difference between false and true annuli... (there are differences)

Members of the WSS shoot rams every year. It's not like some educational photos and video would be all that difficult to obtain.

Lots of hunters don't want to take up Sheep Hunting because quite frankly some of the guys involved make it seem intimidating and out of reach for the "average" Joe. Why should they bother...?

Unless they KNOW someone in a sheep circle somewhere they are screwed... I think a comprehensive resource would greatly aid anyone looking into hunting sheep.

Happy Hunting!
Carl

Gateholio
01-30-2007, 01:32 PM
I said yes to this one, (#7) but the quiz said I didn't have a square on side angle look at him.:-(

From what I gathered when I was trying for a 3/4 curl, this guy looks legal to me.

Any comments? BCRams?

http://www.wildsheepsociety.org/system/files/hce7.jpg

BCrams
01-30-2007, 01:35 PM
I second bigwhiteys. There is no reason not to have a much more interactive learning tool on sheep horn judging. More descriptive, more photos, video footage will go alot further to educate current and would be sheep hunters than a 12 question "do you shoot or not shoot"

BCrams
01-30-2007, 01:42 PM
I said yes to this one, (#7) but the quiz said I didn't have a square on side angle look at him.:-(

From what I gathered when I was trying for a 3/4 curl, this guy looks legal to me.

Any comments? BCRams?

Not having seen it fully square - it would not surprise me if he was just borderline either way and therefor until I saw a better side view - I would hold off. Angles play surprising tricks.

Lets say he definatly is legal. I still would not shoot because he is obviously a young ram with lamb tips. As it is a 3/4 restriction, it must be for the LEH Ashnola draw and so I would hold out for a bigger and older ram.

bigwhiteys
01-30-2007, 02:04 PM
There is no reason not to have a much interactive learning tool on sheep horn judging.

Considering we are in a small section of the world with the most diverse wild sheep population then anywhere else... Education should be priority. I didn't even see a Dall's sheep in there! What gives...

Happy Hunting!
Carl

Gateholio
01-30-2007, 02:22 PM
Considering we are in a small section of the world with the most diverse wild sheep population then anywhere else... Education should be priority. I didn't even see a Dall's sheep in there! What gives...

Happy Hunting!
Carl

Well, considering the site has been up for about a week or 2, maybe nobody has got around to it yet.:lol:

Maybe you shoudl volunteer to add some more stuff to it, as you are int he website business8-)

Rod
01-30-2007, 02:40 PM
Carl;

You are right about more resorces put into education, That's what I was trying to get going on a different thread.

I scored 8/12 and obviously need to learn much more.

I said Yes to #3 because I thought it was a full curl, I was correct but because of age not curl so in my mind I was wrong.

#6 and 7 I thought were legal... even after going back I see them as legal according to the definition?

I also said #8 was a shooter, just not taking the advice given here to use a full on side view of the horns.

I would like to see a more in-depth test broken down into the various types of sheep as well, if I'm after Stones or Dall's for my first hunt I don't necessarily need the confusion of different breeds.

This test was a real eye opener and I can definately see myself passing up animals that could be shooters in fear of taking a "maybe"!

Stone Sheep Steve
01-30-2007, 02:54 PM
I got #7 wrong as well. I know that ram is legal(he's probably 3-4" past legal) but the view is not square. I knew that and should have chosen not to shoot.

SSS

bigwhiteys
01-30-2007, 02:55 PM
Well, considering the site has been up for about a week or 2, maybe nobody has got around to it yet.:lol: Maybe you shoudl volunteer to add some more stuff to it, as you are int he website business:cool:

Gatehouse - Good Idea! I can put my money where my mouth is... I am a member of the WSSBC and will gladly donate my time and services to the task if they wanted me to.

I am a more of a "marketer/consultant" on the web though... I don't really design I prefer to pay people to do that. For a really good interactive learning tool for this audience it would probably cost close to $1000 USD to have developed to the specifications provided.

If there were a few others who were qualified to give input and were interested in investing a little time it wouldn't be all that difficult to do....

The first thing to do when you set about creating something like this is ask your target audience what they want...

Soooo.... Anyone out there looking at getting into Sheep Hunting... What are the most important questions you might have about Sheep & Sheep Hunting?

Happy Hunting!
Carl

bighornbob
01-30-2007, 03:11 PM
Guys you have to remember that this is just an exercise to get you thinking about how to view the sheep. Remember you should view the sheep squarly from the side to make the decision to shoot. How many guys shoot sheep when they are below them and down a steep angle. When they pulled the trigger the horn was above the bridge of the nose and when they get up to it, it is a few inches short becuase of the angle they first saw it at. That is the whole point, to know when to hold off and not shoot, to make sure before you shoot.

Obviously some of the rams they said should not be shot would be better judged with a number of photos or a video but that is not always possible. You have to remember this is a volunteer society and this is their first go at it.

Some guys said they wanted to see other sheep, more dalls and stones. What does the sheep matter. If you are not viewing the rams from the side you should not shoot be it a dall or a rocky.

Rod, how are you judging sheep #6 to be legal, there is no way you can count rings on that ram?

BHB

RiverOtter
01-30-2007, 04:48 PM
I got 9 and 12 wrong. I thought #9 was barely legal at best and passed.
I dropped the hammer on #12 (oops) as I missed the part of the question where it said "mature" big horn. I didn't find any of the pictures clear enough on my puter to even attemp counting growth rings.

RO

GoatGuy
01-30-2007, 05:34 PM
I think this is great you guys - any form of education is good and seeing a group take it on and do something is wonderful!!!!!!

I know there was much discussion about this last year and I'm glad somebody took it up!:lol: Good on ya.

Rod
01-30-2007, 06:10 PM
Some guys said they wanted to see other sheep, more dalls and stones. What does the sheep matter. If you are not viewing the rams from the side you should not shoot be it a dall or a rocky.

Rod, how are you judging sheep #6 to be legal, there is no way you can count rings on that ram?

BHB

My point of a test for each type of sheep, He would be a legal full curl Bighorn using the " horn tip extending upwards beyond a straight line drawn through the centre of the nostril and the lowest hindmost portion of the horn base"

he doesn't qualify as full curl because he is a Stone... I wasn't trying to count rings I failed to pay attention to the question :-(

boxhitch
01-30-2007, 07:55 PM
The entire site is a new works in progress. The Sheep Test portion of the new site is about to change as we speak (type). As some of the photos are field shots, graciously donated, it is tough to ask for more views/angles/closeups/whatever. This was not created as a science project, it was done as an initial step to try and help educate sheep hunters, in response to concerns voiced by the MOE, primarily with illegal kills in the Spence's Bridge area.
The efforts of the WSS may well have staved off a change in regulations in 3-17, which would not have favored the resident hunter.
All constructive criticisms are welcome, I'm sure. Become a member, and post up on the new site.

Rod
01-30-2007, 08:30 PM
I signed up for an account this morning and have a membership sitting in my shopping cart but it looks like activation is required by a moderator.

New site is a big improvement as is online membership purchasing... and the test was great even if limited photos were used.

Cheers
Rod

Deaddog
01-30-2007, 09:27 PM
Site looks great and I thought the test was good, made me think!! I am a member and hope to see you guys at the agm.

mark
01-30-2007, 09:46 PM
Site looks great and I thought the test was good, made me think!! I am a member and hope to see you guys at the agm.

I just got a lifetime membership, and already have the agm tickets. See you there! :)

Rod
01-30-2007, 09:48 PM
So how many from here will be at the AGM? I am contemplating it but it's a long drive by myself in a pokey old diesel LandCruiser :-)

WoodOx
01-30-2007, 10:05 PM
I Think ill be there.

Maybe finally meet Mark and Deaddog.

Looks like a great site, atleast a start with the test!

Grumpa Joe
01-30-2007, 10:25 PM
[/quote]The first thing to do when you set about creating something like this is ask your target audience what they want...

Soooo.... Anyone out there looking at getting into Sheep Hunting... What are the most important questions you might have about Sheep & Sheep Hunting?

Happy Hunting!
Carl[/quote]

Wow! Where to start?

Trip Planning and Preparation
Sheep Habitat and Behaviour
Ethical Hunting Methods
Actually getting There and Back...How's that for a start. Now these questions are completely serious as I have never done the sheep/goat thing. So even if the answers seem self evident to you us neophytes want/need to know.

Joe

boxhitch
01-31-2007, 12:27 PM
Must be careful of content. WSS is really a conservation group (maybe not exactly the right label. ??), that happens to be made up of hunters too. Projects, including habitat enhancement, transplants, monitoring, disease mitigation, inventories, etc. are aimed at 'putting sheep on the mountains'. 'Wild sheep forever'.
Sheep biology info will be available through the links to various reports.

bcmulie
01-31-2007, 09:36 PM
I'm glad to see our new site is generating so much interest already. We only took it public yesterday, and I hadn't even gotten around to posting an announcement here yet.

The site is still just a work in progress, so all comments (positive and negative) are greatly appreciated. Please post up your suggestions for improvements/changes to the forums on our site, or on this site, as I regularly visit here.

The coding work for the site was done by Craig Woods, a website development contractor. If any of you are developing a website, I highly recommend Craig, who did a great job on our site at a reasonable price. You can reach Craig via the website (http://www.wildsheepsociety.org/user/1/contact).

I am very pleased at all the comments generated by our horn curl education program. I know a few of you have expressed concerns about some of the questions, and you can blame me if you don't like parts of the test (or any of the other content on the site), as I'm the one who put most of it together. It is still very much a work in progress, but we wanted to get something up as quickly as possible, so that it could be announced in the LEH regulations. The program has been reviewed and approved by ministry staff, including the 12 questions included in the test to date. We will definitely be adding additional questions, in particular more bighorns of Stone's sheep, as well as some pictures of Dall's sheep and california bighorns. If you have photos that you think may be useful for the site, please contact me via the website (http://www.wildsheepsociety.org/user/10/contact). If you have suggestions for improving the site, please let me know in the same way.

The test was designed to encourage hunters to be sure before they shoot. The most common errors are judging sheep from above/below, or when their head is turned slightly. The message we are trying to get out is that any time you do not have a view of the ram SQUARELY FROM THE SIDE AND AT THE SAME ELEVATION AS THE RAM, DO NOT SHOOT!!!!! I know there are a couple of rams pictured that are probably legal, but the angle of the view is not squarely from the side, so the answer is DO NOT SHOOT! Boxhitch is exactly right, this horn curl education program is in response to illegal harvest in MU3-17. The ministry has raised the possibility that this hunt may go LEH if we don't address the illegal harvest, and our horn curl education program is the first step in doing so.

I hope that you all enjoy the site, and feel free to contact me any time about it.

I hope to see many of you at the AGM and Fundraiser this March, so that I can put faces to internet identities. If you need tickets, you can buy them online, or contact me and I can provide you with tickets. They are $60 each for adults and $25 each for children under 18. I can also sell you ticket for our quad raffle.

Thanks to everyone for expressing interest in the Society.

Alan Dabb,
Secretary, Wild Sheep Society of BC

1/2 slam
01-31-2007, 09:48 PM
Al,

Good job. Site looks great.