PDA

View Full Version : Stalking Mule Deer in the west - tips tricks and methods.

killer_shot
10-28-2013, 08:54 AM
After hunting now for 5 seasons ive had my chances and usually always come away with some mule deer meat each season.
Most of it coming from late day truck hunting when im not expecting it and some early season alpine hunting when they are still in the high open country.
I want to take this sport thats not a sport but an obsession to the next level. Get out of the truck more, during the middle of the day and find muleys in the woods where i know they are bedded.
To this point hiking the forests during bedding hours has rendered me little success in seeing anything except tons of fresh signs. I know they are in there but i just cant seem to see them before they are gone.
Im hoping you can share your experience in how to hunt the forests on foot and increase the chances of actually sneaking up on mules deer ?

hickman
10-28-2013, 09:16 AM
Hi Killer,
I am in the same boat. I am chasing blacktails on the South Coast and adjacent areas. I have put in my time hiking around clearcuts, steep slopes thick with deadfall and brush etc. up to 1800 meters. I have followed trails for hours looking at tracks, droppings etc. I have been sitting during dusk and dawn hours with limited success. I know it is still early in the season especially with the warm, dry weather. I just put in the time anyway because sooner or later something will show. I would also be interested in a few pointers on how to sneak up on those beasts...
Thx

Gilmore
10-28-2013, 09:25 AM
Not that I have hunted a lot of mulies in the timber but I have hunted a lot of blackies exactly how you describe. First thing you need to identify is there feeding area and the actual bedding area. How and when they are moving to and from both areas and how you are going to get in there undetected. It comes with really getting to know an area and how to get around in it. Of course you can always stumble around and get lucky, which I think we all have done but with some effort it can be a much more productive way to hunt. Like Mantracker says...know your land, know your prey.

Glenny
10-28-2013, 09:31 AM
Still hunting is good. Sneak about 15-20 yards at a time and then sit for 10 minutes or so. (Where you've seen sign before) If you can figure out the corridors they frequent you can sit in wait in the early am.

Ferenc
10-28-2013, 09:51 AM
Still hunting is good. Sneak about 15-20 yards at a time and then sit for 10 minutes or so. (Where you've seen sign before) If you can figure out the corridors they frequent you can sit in wait in the early am.

So true...pay attention to the wind also...and be early..if you think your going slow on the sneak your still going to fast...they will be starting to move alot soon...lots of leaves fallin today!!

Big Lew
10-28-2013, 09:56 AM
I have had some success sneaking into bedding areas. First of all, I've noticed deer often will either position themselves so that they can see downwind, relying on their acute sense of smell to warn them of anything coming up behind them, or bed in a spot where nothing can possibly sneak up on them from behind without making a noise while they monitor the breezes coming toward them uphill. Almost always their beds have escape routes they can sneak away on without making a noise. With this in mind, I slowly pick my way sideways to the winds, using whatever game trails available, or will sneak along on downed trees, only going a few steps at a time, then thoroughly scanning the bush ahead of me before moving a few more steps. Usually I will see the tops of a rack or an ear flick, not the whole deer itself. I use soft felt moccasins and bush clippers to make my way as undetected as possible.

dino
10-28-2013, 10:00 AM
Hey K man I hope this thread brings out some of the pro's that barely post anymore. There are bunch of fellow members with entirely different styles of hunting that could really contribute here. When someone post's anything about muleys all the addicts read it, I just hope they post their tactics.

Stéphane
10-28-2013, 10:04 AM
Slow down people, I taking notes here!
I think I found some routes, but not sure where the bedding and feeding areas are. I will be glued to that thread for sure.

ru rancher
10-28-2013, 10:12 AM
i agree with the post if you think your walking slow walk slower listen for cracks and look EVERYWHERE you never know where they might be standing or laying down iv hunted alot in thick old timber for those elusive mature mule deer bucks and iv learned alot in my few years hunting them due to being able to go out every day still no expert but big things include going slow being silent and being aware of what is going on around you

rides bike to work
10-28-2013, 10:23 AM
I have been getting better at stalking mulies in there beds this season. If your in the interior I have found the deer are bedded near the tops of hills but not right on top just below behind rocky bluffs in the timber. I sneak up the mountain with the wind in my face once near the top I really slow down like super slow as I go over the top I even go slower then 8 of of ten times this year one or a group of deer jump up right beside me scaring the crap out of me and go bouncing down the hill.i did get within 20 feet of a nice three point bedded but his head and neck were skylined so I never took the shot. Then he must of smelled me and bolted. One thing when you scare them out of there bed I noticed is they don't do the old mulie look back they just bolt. As well they don't come back the next day.si it's off to the next hill top ridge or knoll. It's a lot of hiking but the only way I have been able to find find mulies during the day.

Come on Dino give up some secrets you are the pro here.

dino
10-28-2013, 10:26 AM
After hunting now for 5 seasons ive had my chances and usually always come away with some mule deer meat each season.
Most of it coming from late day truck hunting when im not expecting it and some early season alpine hunting when they are still in the high open country.
I want to take this sport thats not a sport but an obsession to the next level. Get out of the truck more, during the middle of the day and find muleys in the woods where i know they are bedded.
To this point hiking the forests during bedding hours has rendered me little success in seeing anything except tons of fresh signs. I know they are in there but i just cant seem to see them before they are gone.
Im hoping you can share your experience in how to hunt the forests on foot and increase the chances of actually sneaking up on mules deer ?

I used to only hunt timber, I would look for knoll's in the timber above feeding areas usually above a block. Those knoll's would always have beds or muleys on them. The problem with trying to hunt the timber in the middle of the day is that you need to deal with the wind. you need to come from the top down or a way that keeps you from being winded. Midday can be productive but after a morning hike these old bone's would rather just wait for the evening.:grin:

dino
10-28-2013, 10:33 AM
I have been getting better at stalking mulies in there beds this season. If your in the interior I have found the deer are bedded near the tops of hills but not right on top just below behind rocky bluffs in the timber. I sneak up the mountain with the wind in my face once near the top I really slow down like super slow as I go over the top I even go slower then 8 of of ten times this year one or a group of deer jump up right beside me scaring the crap out of me and go bouncing down the hill.i did get within 20 feet of a nice three point bedded but his head and neck were skylined so I never took the shot. Then he must of smelled me and bolted. One thing when you scare them out of there bed I noticed is they don't do the old mulie look back they just bolt. As well they don't come back the next day.si it's off to the next hill top ridge or knoll. It's a lot of hiking but the only way I have been able to find find mulies during the day.

Come on Dino give up some secrets you are the pro here.

lol I just read your post after I posted. I pretty much copied you. I think That certain styles of hunting will only work in certain areas, People need to keep that in mind.

adriaticum
10-28-2013, 10:33 AM
I used to only hunt timber, I would look for knoll's in the timber above feeding areas usually above a block. Those knoll's would always have beds or muleys on them. The problem with trying to hunt the timber in the middle of the day is that you need to deal with the wind. you need to come from the top down or a way that keeps you from being winded. Midday can be productive but after a morning hike these old bone's would rather just wait for the evening.:grin:

When you are hiking where the deer bed are you using any scent removers?

hawk-i
10-28-2013, 10:42 AM
If you're stalking into a "known" bedding area, you have to go slooooow, really slow like one hundred yards should take about one hour to cover. Also a windy day will help cover the slightest noise...one step, stand look and listen....look for anything that looks the least bit out of place. Stay alert and go SLOW, you'll be surprised at what you see!
PS....into the wind or wind at your side....also when you spot a buck at close range and "if" it is looking directly at you, try and not make eye contact with it. Raise your rifle facing away from it and slow swing towards it.
At close range if a buck feels you haven't spotted him, it will often just sit tight and let you walk right past.
Have fun!

dino
10-28-2013, 10:56 AM
When you are hiking where the deer bed are you using any scent removers?

Before anyone listens to any opinions I give I want them to know that I am no pro and Im just giving an opinion. There are members on this site that are way more experienced than me and I sure hope they chime in. As for scents ,I just don't believe in them, being winded isn't always a bad thing

adriaticum
10-28-2013, 11:03 AM
I don't believe in them. Being winded isn't always a bad thing.

ok thanks!

pete_k
10-28-2013, 11:12 AM
Only commenting here so I can follow the thread.
Same boat. Good info.

ianm
10-28-2013, 11:19 AM
My latest heart breaker (rookie mistake) was glassing a treeline of a decent sized block at last light. Deciding to mosey down to a bend in the road and glassing back, I crept slowly...DEAD slow...stepping on moss, grass patches, weeds...anything but gravel...as I approached the bend in the road (which was also approximately the same spot as the treeline) I decided to just quickly check the edge of the cutblock before I carried around the bend. I rushed a bit, made some slight noise in thin, thigh-high dry grass and bam, a massive 3+ pointer jumped up and bolted right as I got to the edge of the bank. If I had been patient, I would have been able to take him at 60' while he was bedded.

Still choked, but that's how you learn I guess.

The thing I'm trying to improve is hiking through the thick, nasty bush down here in the coast. I have no clue how on earth to be silent when wading through waist deep shrubs that are thicker than my backhair, on a 50* slope with deadfall that cracks when you exhale in it's general direction lol...maybe i need to find a new area...

Ferenc
10-28-2013, 11:36 AM
The weather will also decide where the muleys will bed...for example you get a frigid night with cold days... I have found deer heading for thick timber to bed...usally more than one..and some of the beds have been against large trees...they also stay bedded well into the day... on sloping terrain their favorite....windy cold nights and days seem to concentrate them at certain bedding sites in the area I hunt with them moving around midday...I leave at dark and come back at dark..remember as soon as they get up from their bed they will start to feed..once one of them get up the others will usally follow.....

killer_shot
10-28-2013, 12:48 PM
This is all good info guys. I know for certain that im on the right track to taking my muley hunting to the next level cause I know where they are feeding and i know where they are bedding.
I can tell from what all you are saying that im moving to fast. 100m an hour, im going 1km hour. I def need to slow down move silently 25yards or so then glass for ears and antlers. move another 25 and so on. Of course i try to play the wind to my advantage best i can but i im really curious about scent control.

I have one friend who is religous about his scent control, washes all his gear in non scent detergent then keeps it in a sealed bag with pine bows and he says that hes had deer walk right past him within 10 yards and not notice. After a days of camping i my body reeks and im calling scent control a right off and just trying to play the wind best i can.

what is your take on scent control and how far do you have to take it for it to be successful (chime in here bow hunters)

thx

Big Lew
10-28-2013, 01:02 PM
Scent controls work well if you start with everything cleaned and you don't exert yourself. Unless you're sitting still like in a blind or tree stand, you're going to sweat. Better to play the winds.

horshur
10-28-2013, 03:10 PM
just think maybe it would be prudent to not....sure it is not always so but you can blow a deer out of a spot you could just hunt with some patience...

frankly I am reluctant to step into the bush unless the conditions give me a help....rain or snow. If the bush is noisy,snow crusty maybe it be better not... only if it is a last ditch effort.

like if you have a doe group using a couple blocks maybe they are out all day don't have a care this is a good thing cause it is a draw for a buck....it would not be prudent to bump them does, try your best to leave them alone....

of course if the deer are keeping tight to the timber during the daylight you are pretty much obligated to step in...

Stéphane
10-28-2013, 03:23 PM
I really want this thread to keep going. Lots of great non-contradictory info here.

I am currently hunting BT, so not sure how much apply to both species, but so far, I think from what I read I think it would.

I am also way too fast when I walk. No questions. I also read the same in a book about whitetail that it is a big sin we have to walk way too fast in the woods.
I also read even a little scent control is better than none. Camo doesn't make us invisible, just less outstanding. Apparently the same goes with scent control. Not unnoticeable, but less offensive for lack of better word.

Questions:
#1. Why wouldn't a tree stand work? I like it because it is the only time I can be 100% quiet( okay, 97%).

#2. With rut approaching, is it still the same method?

#3. From a bowhunter stand point, how close could I hope to get while still hunting? (assuming I can leave the marching band that usually tag along with me when I walk in the forest)

#4. As new hunters, we don't ask for the honey hole, or where to hunt, but what to look for when we do. I have a hard time finding feeding areas and bedding ares. All I seem to see is game trail. How do you know where is the feeding place? (or places?)

Thanks to Killer Shot for starting this thread and to everyone who already contributed and to the ones who will.

takla1
10-28-2013, 03:55 PM
black tail fanatic here but I will chime in as I have before.my best advice is to hunt the openings where the deer are early before the thermal winds heat and start to rise up the mnt carrying your sent unless you have a road to the top of the mnt to get up ubove them early then hunt down..you generally only have an hr from first light till the sun warms enough then the wind changes heading up hill.I don't crash bush period.these deer have incredible hearing so stick to trails/deactivated looking roads and be as quiet as possible.cedar branches kept in a garbage back will work well to keep your sent down,place cloths in the bag the night before.When the rut starts{within the next 2 weeks here in 2-8} they will respond to rattleing,my partner and I have rattled in numerous blacktails the first 2 weeks of nov and made clean kills on incomeing bucks.WE also use a doe bleat when walking in incase anything is bedded near by,they will usually stand and investigate the bleat.make sure all oyur eq is tuned.gun zero'd most of your shots will be well under 100 yrds,and waterproff clothing is a must as your best chances will materialize in the worst possible weather....good luck all

caddisguy
10-28-2013, 04:24 PM
I have a couple questions to add to the list. My ester-doe can, grunt call and rattle bag--none of which I have really attempted to use in any serious application--all refer to "whitetail" on the packaging. I imagine the rattle bag must be universal, but what about the grunt and ester-doe can? Still any good for BT or Mule?

takla1
10-28-2013, 04:37 PM
caddis.....a deer is a deer they will work.as the rut progresses get more aggressive with you rattleing,i rack trees as well

dana
10-28-2013, 05:36 PM
In my opinion, when still hunting muleys in the timber you need to walk and sound like a deer. Too many hunters try to walk quiet and move slow. Deer don't do this. If you ever have watched muleys that are unaware of your presence you will find they are really quite noisy when they move through the forest. on the other hand, how does their number 1 predator move through the forest. A lion is the master of stealth and the ambush. If you try to be like a lion, you will fail. You will always have that one branch that you step one that sounds like a rifle going off in a quiet forest. I never worry about snapping twigs. I'm never bother by crunchy conditions. I walk like a deer. I stop and listen often. but not for long. This might be contrary to what most do but I see a lot of success at very close range.

jetboat jim
10-28-2013, 05:53 PM
i travel fast in the bush , BUT i learned something a long time ago .....
preditors walk and keep walking , deer and other antlered animals walk and pause for a few moments......seems to work for me.

blacktails love coming out in the pissing rain (as long as its not too windy) they seem to lose all comon sense.

cover lots of ground pre season , remember where you see any sighn .....
biggest tip i learned after finding a "local honey hole" is tell nobody.

Mishka
10-28-2013, 06:02 PM
Good thread. Are Muley's likely to come back to the same rubs? I found a spot with a large rub and the ground is beaten up.

caddisguy
10-28-2013, 06:22 PM
caddis.....a deer is a deer they will work.as the rut progresses get more aggressive with you rattleing,i rack trees as well

I also have whitetail doe urine in my pack. Thought about putting some on my boots, but I worry about predators wanting to eat me or bucks trying to take my manhood. "How was your hunting trip honey" ... "wahh I don't want to talk about it... sob :("

dana
10-28-2013, 06:27 PM
http://www.monsterhuntclips.com/video/1684/Rakin-and-Burpin-Demo

dana
10-28-2013, 06:28 PM
http://www.monsterhuntclips.com/video/1685/The-Real-Thing

vanillagator
10-28-2013, 07:22 PM
Hi everyone. New to the forum but have been an avid Muley hunter since I can remember. An actual fact is that deer have only a 48 hour memory. So, if you have ever shot one in a fav area where other bigguns are known to reside, just leave that area for a few days and you can re visit. If I know the area is productive with good sign of more than a few big bucks I concentrate on that one area. The prob most have is that if they get skunked in a particular area, even when the sign is there, they leave it for another and so on. The grass is not always greener on the other side, stick to an area holding lots of fresh sign and keep to that area. Big deer move around in the rut but like humans they prefer certain areas where they feel comfortable. Even in the rut, they eventually wander back to that area. Find the sign and be patient, hunt it hard, staying with it and you will be more productive in getting that big one.

wos
10-28-2013, 08:24 PM
I have still hunted for mule deer since I started hunting. It works great some of the time and not at all others. Like others have said move like a deer if you want to be successful. Let does move off at there own speed don't bump them. When you do bump a deer know how to stop it so it doesn't alarm others or so you have a chance at a shot (calls and not necessarily from the same species work great for this) keep the sun and wind in your face.

Sleep Robber
10-28-2013, 08:41 PM
Do any of you ever use the scent glands from a deer and tie them to your boot laces when in the field ? If so do you think it helps any ? Just kinda wondering as I've heard of this before but didn't know what to think, thanks.

dana
10-28-2013, 09:17 PM
I normally will grab the tarsal glands from the first deer down in our group and rub them on my lower legs. I'll keep them in the freezer and use them multiple times in the late season. Or I'll just rub my legs in the real thing when I find where a doe has pissed. Most commercial scents on the market are whitetail based. They work for keeping down the human scent but they don't work as an attractant like real mule deer scent.

Hunting/addict
10-28-2013, 10:00 PM
Keep the wind in your face, move slow but more important than really slow is to not walk steady. Break up your pace with movement, short rest periods and long ones. Animals tend to move more randomly while we often move to deliberate and constant. I think this is the most natural. Noise is not a deal brea ker as long as it is not your typical human sounds....talking, metallic sounds and fabric brushing against brush etc. Forget about the yuppie expensive hunting clothes that make loud noises as you brush against thin gs. Invest in wool, or polar fleece type material....it may not look as good but is quite and more useful for stalking close . Use scents for cover but the wind is the most important to fool a deers noise. Use a call to put deer at more ease but don't over do it. Rattling works great but have patience. Mule deer can come inquickly but often take 1/2 an hour or so. Please put your back against something when rattling so a cougar has to come around in front of you. I have had a cougar comein behind me and it is a unsettling feeling to say the least. have shot deer from 7 yards and several under 20 yards so it is definetly possible.

BCbillies
10-28-2013, 11:03 PM
I'm soaking up this thread like a sponge . . . first time muley hunting last weekend! A different style of hunting than I have grown accustomed over the last 18 years and the saying "hunting smarter rather than harder" comes to mind. My son spotted a buck at 70 yards moving quickly through a draw by mid afternoon. Just prior to this we said this looks like perfect deer country with fresh sign, beds, numerous timbered draws, small meadows, etc along a high ridge. A little while later we also found the only local watering hole along with a salt block nearby. Looks like a good spot to hang out at first and last light?

Weatherby Fan
10-28-2013, 11:46 PM
Do any of you ever use the scent glands from a deer and tie them to your boot laces when in the field ? If so do you think it helps any ? Just kinda wondering as I've heard of this before but didn't know what to think, thanks.

We have been using scent glands for years, my brother will cut them off the deer and tie them on his laces, then freeze them for next season.
I would just rub them on my boots and go from there, or use doe urine on my boots like Dana mentioned.

boxhitch
10-29-2013, 06:33 AM
IMHO , MD are not as aggressive at breeding as WT , and while grunting has brought them in , rattling hasn't.
Had one respond to a grunt yesterday a.m. , but never showed .

use your binos lots , even in the thick stuff you can change the focus to look beyond partial obstructions . Look for parts of ears and tines.
crouch down and look under limbs , to see what a deer sees. Consider their eyes are roughly 3 ft. from the ground.

Things only get better from now on , rutting deer tend to move alot more during the day. It can be quiet the first couple of hours if they have had a busy night , but after a rest they can get going again mid day.

Do whatever you have to, to get out after a snowfall. It provides a clean slate for sign and tracking.

GoatGuy
10-29-2013, 08:56 AM
Measure the success of the day by the number of deer you could have harvested, not the number of white bums you saw running away or crashing through the timber.

Agree with boxhitch, always glass even if you can only see 30 yards looking for a throat patch, part of an ear, tine etc.

Like to use the wind and to go as slow as humanely possible in the thick and will speed it up a bit when things open up.

dino
10-29-2013, 10:30 AM
my style is a bit unorthodox but it does work for me sometimes. I hate hunting in the snow but when I have no choice I tend to drag my feet in the snow instead of stepping on it, it seems to be quieter at times. I usually only hike high timber when I timber hunt so its usually more noise friendly earth. It is also usually more breezy so moving when the wind is moving helps me out. I am also a fast mover, I slow down when I think I need to but I like to cover lots of ground. I think that if an area is showing good sign that you need to keep hitting the same area until you figure the best plan of attack and stick to the plan, it will produce. I am presently hitting an area right now that I saw a glimpse of a nice buck in a few years ago. The area is ripe with sign but he seems to be nocturnal and likes the timber, I have no doubt that the buck Im after will make a mistake sooner or later.

Ferenc
10-29-2013, 11:03 AM
In regards to hunting mulies during the rut...its a proven fact that the bucks will regularly check doe gathering areas..so hopefully you all have pinpointed these spots earlier this season....they seem to use them year after year...the only thing that will move em is extreme snow and cold..and as said ...Bucks are very noisy during the rut...they make mistakes...they are not eating sleeping..sometimes...there dumber than a fencepost !!...

Ferenc
10-29-2013, 11:22 AM
I will try to answer number 1....stand hunting is not as dependable for muleys as it is for whitetails``ìn my experience muleys are not as traditional in using a given trail system...but the are tradtitional in the use of a particular area...this area is the key...I find I have better success hunting extremely slow through these areas

1980skywalker
10-29-2013, 12:11 PM
I am an expert by no means and I believe that we must continue to learn whatever it is that we do for our entire lives, think you know it all you may as well quit. Hunting is about as tough a sport as you can find to truly master I think we must all consider it an art and keep our minds open to constant learning. This thread is great and the more people that contribute the more we can all learn from it as there is obviously many ways to kill a cat so to speak.

In my short hunting career I have tried to apply something that someone taught me that helped me become a better fisherman. Start with one spot, learn it inside and out, learn everything there is to know about that spot and when you believe you have come as close as possible to mastering it then move on to another spot and apply what you have learned there. I think much of what PG66 and other veterans of our sport have posted puts this into practice. With this in mind I want to try and apply technology to my spot in the form of a GPS which I have yet to acquire. So my question is how many of us use one on their honey hole? I want to literally map out every trail I can find in my spot, elevation, open areas, deer beds, feeding areas etc and then try to put the puzzle together...

GoatGuy
10-29-2013, 12:20 PM
In regards to hunting mulies during the rut...its a proven fact that the bucks will regularly check doe gathering areas..so hopefully you all have pinpointed these spots earlier this season

This is good advice, we just rotate through and check the does to find the bucks.

caddisguy
10-29-2013, 12:25 PM
In my short hunting career I have tried to apply something that someone taught me that helped me become a better fisherman. Start with one spot, learn it inside and out, learn everything there is to know about that spot and when you believe you have come as close as possible to mastering it then move on to another spot and apply what you have learned there. I think much of what PG66 and other veterans of our sport have posted puts this into practice. With this in mind I want to try and apply technology to my spot in the form of a GPS which I have yet to acquire. So my question is how many of us use one on their honey hole? I want to literally map out every trail I can find in my spot, elevation, open areas, deer beds, feeding areas etc and then try to put the puzzle together...

I have an older Garmin. I use it mostly as a navigation aid, but I'll mark general areas that look decent to my untrained eyes. You're idea about mapping every little thing going on in a honey hole is pretty cool though. Get one and go for it. You have a scientific mind and investing in it might unlock some mysteries.

hickman
10-29-2013, 12:44 PM
Yes, this is an awesome thread and as a fairly new hunter I find lots of good general advice. Many of the things said here I do. I tend to cover quite a bit of ground when hiking in timber but tend to change pace and the way I move and will go really slow when I approach something that looks promising. I prefer to sit and watch at a spot for some time.
I use the GPS to mark exact spots where I have seen deer or where I have found promising signs, e.g. beds, deer highways etc. I am hunting BT mostly in 2-6 and 3-16. I have found 2 very promising areas that I have scouted several times. I prefer to go into places with low hunting pressure even though that might tell something about the deer population.
I believe the warm and dry weather has kept the deer up high in the spots that I have chosen.
It is also hard to be quiet in timber in dry conditions like these. I hope to capitalize on my homework within the next 2 weeks.
Again, thanks everyone for sharing their thoughts and experiences. This is super helpful!

caddisguy
10-29-2013, 03:58 PM
Here's one I have been pondering. If I am looking at an MU trying to decide which area to start scouting in, if out of the little information I have, happens to be that a certain area receives a ridiculous amount of cougar sightings--despite there being less people to spot them--compared to the rest of the region, is it worth while to start searching the area which has a high concentration of cougar sightings?

jimzuk
10-29-2013, 08:55 PM
There is a lot of really great tips here. Dana really nailed it. DEER are quite noisy when they are feeding. Try to sound like a deer.Vary your pace alot and use your optIcs frequently.
Wear quiet clothing like wool or fleece.I have had very limited success using calls or rattling but they do work at the right time. Be patient.

HarryToolips
10-29-2013, 09:38 PM
IMHO , MD are not as aggressive at breeding as WT , and while grunting has brought them in , rattling hasn't.
Had one respond to a grunt yesterday a.m. , but never showed .

use your binos lots , even in the thick stuff you can change the focus to look beyond partial obstructions . Look for parts of ears and tines.
crouch down and look under limbs , to see what a deer sees. Consider their eyes are roughly 3 ft. from the ground.

Things only get better from now on , rutting deer tend to move alot more during the day. It can be quiet the first couple of hours if they have had a busy night , but after a rest they can get going again mid day.

Do whatever you have to, to get out after a snowfall. It provides a clean slate for sign and tracking.
Pretty much what I do but can't say I've had alot of success doin it..just think I gotta slow down more..

HarryToolips
10-29-2013, 09:40 PM
I normally will grab the tarsal glands from the first deer down in our group and rub them on my lower legs. I'll keep them in the freezer and use them multiple times in the late season. Or I'll just rub my legs in the real thing when I find where a doe has pissed. Most commercial scents on the market are whitetail based. They work for keeping down the human scent but they don't work as an attractant like real mule deer scent.
I like it..what part of the leg to ya cut em out from?? When ya cut em out and freeze em are they good for just one season after or more?? Lol does your wife complain of any stink comin from the freezer??

Bugle M In
10-29-2013, 11:24 PM

Agree with this, a few seasons back, buddy took he first buck....I did all the cutting ( he did all the dragging! ), thus got all the scent all over me and clothing...
Next morning, was late walking up an old road to where I wanted to hunt, so I took the time to glass the mountain side across the lake,....
suddenly, I hear something coming at me from the hillside above...and fast.
turn around, and heres a nice 4pt buck coming to run me over.
should have seen the whites of his eyes when he realized what was up.
the wind was in his favour the whole time....
So yes, keep tarsals! they may just work at the right time!

Ferenc
10-30-2013, 10:09 AM
I think i have the world record for spooking deer...ONE THING I HAVE LEARNED .....if the deer sees you in pursuit,it is more than likely to move faster and farther than it would had you simply stayed put until it was outta sight... I sit tight for a bit when this happens...try to determine what direction hes going.....most of the time its uphill over a ridge... they will either trott off or do that 4 legged jump...one thing that I have learned is not to directly follow him...spooked muleys always seem to look back to see if your following...so stay put until he is outta sight if you cant take the shot...after a bit of a wait then go get em!!!

hawk-i
10-30-2013, 11:31 AM
If you have a fresh snow fall and spook a deer, in the interest of learning, follow it, stay on its tracks....the reactions you see in its tracks is an interesting learning experience....most deer will not go all that far. Some may travel a few miles or more, most only less than 1/2 a mile or so and then double back. In almost all cases when I've done this, they usually end up making a circle and bring you back close to the area where they spooked to begin with.
A hard pressed deer will get on a path other deer have recently used, after a short distance it will back track say 50 or 60 yards and then do a giant leap to the side to get off those tracks( kind of like better them than me) and take off in a different direction. They know their home territory and escape routes within that territory, and will (from what I've seen) try to stay within it.

hare_assassin
10-30-2013, 11:47 AM
I like it..what part of the leg to ya cut em out from?? When ya cut em out and freeze em are they good for just one season after or more?? Lol does your wife complain of any stink comin from the freezer??

Not sure you even need to cut them out. Just keep the whole lower leg sections. The glands are pretty obvious once you look for them. The hair grows differently on them.

Ferenc
10-30-2013, 12:26 PM
Good points hawk-i .... when deer depart it always gives you the impression that the deer will run forever....when in fact its usually of getting over that ridge or behind that hill...one thing too the deer the trotts off or does the 4 legged jump move most of the time just as far...(same)

brian
10-30-2013, 03:24 PM
The thing I'm trying to improve is hiking through the thick, nasty bush down here in the coast. I have no clue how on earth to be silent when wading through waist deep shrubs that are thicker than my backhair, on a 50* slope with deadfall that cracks when you exhale in it's general direction lol...maybe i need to find a new area...

The real key to getting through this stuff is prolific swearing. A thick under growth of salal might just as well be a sea of razor blades as far as I am concerned. I am happy Dino doesn't sweat the noise, makes my inept attempts at quiet stalking seem less inept.

With this in mind I want to try and apply technology to my spot in the form of a GPS which I have yet to acquire. So my question is how many of us use one on their honey hole? I want to literally map out every trail I can find in my spot, elevation, open areas, deer beds, feeding areas etc and then try to put the puzzle together...

I use my GPS in this way. It is basically an electronic notebook which I use to keep records of what I've seen out there and where I've been. Then I can view all this data on Google Earth, which gives me more insight into whats going and gives me clues to out of the way areas I can explore. Also all the waypoints I generate have time stamps on them so I can have a record of both time and space for deer/sign sightings. As the overall map develops then I start walking the deer trails and record my tracks on them to get an overall map of how the deer are using the area. My biggest limitation is having a more thorough understanding of blacktail behavior. I generate plenty of data but still need to be able to put it all together so I understand it in a cohesive manner. Its kind of like someone giving me a great book that's written in French.

Taurusguy
10-30-2013, 03:42 PM
I use an old garmin for a car and found a free topographical map to use on it that sits on an sd card. Can swap between topo and road maps. I tag all the trails I find. All my kill sites all my deer sightings and sign and whatever else stands out as signifigant to note on it. Only problem I have ikeep all my tracks. Haven't figured out a way to store my tracks and as I use it for driving it eats up my old tracks and all I am left with is the points of interest I created.

I do notice that the mule deer (if not spooked) will follow a pattern. Take note of time when you see them and your likely to see them again there around the same time. I also noticed that if there is any free ranged cows in the area the deer seem to be hanging down wind from the cow scent. I presume to hide from predators. I almost always see deer when I start to smell cows.

dana
10-30-2013, 04:48 PM
Muley bucks have a habit of coming right back to the same bed they were jumped out of. They will fish hook back on their trail and watch to see if they are being followed. Always a kick in the nuts when tracking a hawg track you find yourself standing in your own boot tracks again and again and you know he's been watchin ya the whole time laughing at you. Best way to connect with a buck that is fish hooking is to go straight out 50 to 70 yards from his tracks and parallel them.

BCrams
10-30-2013, 05:10 PM
In regards to hunting mulies during the rut...its a proven fact that the bucks will regularly check doe gathering areas..so hopefully you all have pinpointed these spots..

How I took my best non typical. Camped on does that never had a buck around them.

dino
10-30-2013, 06:19 PM
Muley bucks have a habit of coming right back to the same bed they were jumped out of. They will fish hook back on their trail and watch to see if they are being followed. Always a kick in the nuts when tracking a hawg track you find yourself standing in your own boot tracks again and again and you know he's been watchin ya the whole time laughing at you. Best way to connect with a buck that is fish hooking is to go straight out 50 to 70 yards from his tracks and parallel them.

When I used to hunt bt's I used to call it flanking before I ever read about fish hooking. It worked great with bt's but I haven't had all that much success with muleys. I shot a buck early this year that was with another buck that took off after the shot. He returned about 30 minutes later to the exact spot where he was spooked. When ever I split up a couple of bucks I always wait about 10-20 minutes then walk a straight line between the two and often see one or both of them trying to find each other.

keithb7
10-30-2013, 06:32 PM
Hunting in the evening makes me rush by nature. It's getting darker as each second passes and I find I don't move slow enough. I see more pouncing off in the evening, than in the morning hunt when I have more patience. With a full day of light ahead of me I take my time, and venture further.

JDR
10-30-2013, 06:45 PM
As others have said, when in the timber (assuming you're in an area with decent sign) walk for a bit and then pause. I've taken two of my biggest mulies while pausing. Occasionally the deer come to you. In both cases I heard them before I saw them. One was rubbing a tree and the other was following a doe that was making all the noise. I've tried raking a tree to some effect. The buck I mentioned previously that was rubbing the tree came in to my grunting and raking.

dino
10-30-2013, 07:21 PM
The real key to getting through this stuff is prolific swearing. A thick under growth of salal might just as well be a sea of razor blades as far as I am concerned. I am happy Dino doesn't sweat the noise, makes my inept attempts at quiet stalking seem less inept.

I use my GPS in this way. It is basically an electronic notebook which I use to keep records of what I've seen out there and where I've been. Then I can view all this data on Google Earth, which gives me more insight into whats going and gives me clues to out of the way areas I can explore. Also all the waypoints I generate have time stamps on them so I can have a record of both time and space for deer/sign sightings. As the overall map develops then I start walking the deer trails and record my tracks on them to get an overall map of how the deer are using the area. My biggest limitation is having a more thorough understanding of blacktail behavior. I generate plenty of data but still need to be able to put it all together so I understand it in a cohesive manner. Its kind of like someone giving me a great book that's written in French.

I used to live and hunt BT's religiously when I lived there. I eventually would only hunt in the rain with a semi auto sporting open sights.I can remember shooting a buck about three feet away from me one time that way. When there was no rain I would hunt rocky bluff country of the sooke hills or goldstream watershed area. Burnt bridge used to have some good dirt bike trails to hunt off when the earth was like popcorn but for me hunting in the rain was always the best way to sneak up on Bt's anywhere. The deer population was pretty low back then, my dad lives in the city and says he has a deer problem with his garden now. You would never see a deer in town 20 years ago. I Like hunting muleys because they are easier and the country is so much more beautiful to hike in.

Brambles
10-30-2013, 09:34 PM
Read any book on mule deer hunting by Walter Prothero, he's got a few, lots of repeated info from book to book!

brian
10-30-2013, 10:47 PM
I Like hunting muleys because they are easier and the country is so much more beautiful to hike in.

You know some of my favorite hunting I have done was hiking up high before dusk and spending the day glassing over bowls. Some days I wish for nice open country again, then I step into the f**kin forest and I am home again. I may come home feeling battered beat up and discouraged in blacktail country, but I love it out there.

I used to live and hunt BT's religiously when I lived there. I eventually would only hunt in the rain with a semi auto sporting open sights.

I'm pretty close to just hunting the rain myself. My Monday hunt was just ridiculous for noise. All this October sun combined with the fallen maple leaves combined with the salal seas has made for a forest floor that sounds like someone coated the entire thing with corn flakes. I think I took three steps that did not resonate loudly. I am using the opportunity to hunt/explore other areas and am waiting for some rain before heading into my core hunting zone again. This year I am hunting the no single projectile areas and I am thoroughly impressed with how quick and accurate a bead sight can be... within reason. The only problem so far this year has been lining one up within 30 yards. On my first hunt I had a two point mocking me broadside at 40 yards. I vaguely entertained the thought of charging him bayonet style. I so wished I could have had my 30-30 in my hands at that moment. Hopefully November brings us more entertaining weather!

Buck
10-30-2013, 11:46 PM
I always hunt into the wind for sure .This year i started teaching my nephew to hunt .We were walking into the wind with the sun at our back .We were walking along the a deactivated road paralleling a clearcut.At one point i got a big whiff of a deer no mistaking it.We started up the clearcut towards the smell we got up 50 meters or so moving slow with me a little higher sure enough there is a really nice 4 point buck at 30 meters looking back at me i motion to the kid i see a buck unfortunately with him being a little lower he can;t see it .Deer is behind some brush.Buck gets nervous then takes of down the hill into the timber ...no shot bummer.

killer_shot
10-31-2013, 08:45 AM
Well this has turned out to be an awesome thread with some very dif thoughts and ideas about how to approach hunting timbered areas.

last weekend i was surprised to see animals moving around 12pm. I know they are usually moving in the first three hours of light then bedding down. I know we have all seen more movement in the early hours and the late but the more i read this thread the more i see that mule deer are def not quite the creatures of habit that their White tail cousins are. Now obviously as we move into pre-rut and rut will see more movement but before that time of year what do you go as a guide for time when they start moving again.
What time do you stop searching for bedded deer and start waiting for them to come back to their feeding grounds ???

PS thanks for all the input guys i think we should have more of these threads on how to hunt instead where to hunt threads going on here at HBC, there is combined thousands of years of hunting experience on this board i see with that shared knowledge we could have a lot more 4 point trophys coming out and a lot less immature bucks never making it to that status

Cheers KS

Ferenc
10-31-2013, 12:05 PM
One of the reasons I have spooked muleys is that I sometimes get a sudden feeling that where I am hunting has no deer..and I decide to go where I have taken a deer before or head over to another ridge...this is when lose my concentration and pick up the pace...so now I always think and act as a huge buck will appear at any time...cloudy overcast days has me out all day ...as for bedding times I havnt figured that out yet...I find the beds...I hunt mostly uphill ...just wondering how you all make out hunting uphill verses downhill

hare_assassin
10-31-2013, 12:51 PM
Well this has turned out to be an awesome thread with some very dif thoughts and ideas about how to approach hunting timbered areas.

last weekend i was surprised to see animals moving around 12pm. I know they are usually moving in the first three hours of light then bedding down. I know we have all seen more movement in the early hours and the late but the more i read this thread the more i see that mule deer are def not quite the creatures of habit that their White tail cousins are. Now obviously as we move into pre-rut and rut will see more movement but before that time of year what do you go as a guide for time when they start moving again.
What time do you stop searching for bedded deer and start waiting for them to come back to their feeding grounds ???

Solunar calendar is right way more often than it is wrong, based on my observations over the past 2 years. Garmin GPS units have one built in called the "Hunt/Fish" calendar. Very handy.

brian
10-31-2013, 01:29 PM
last weekend i was surprised to see animals moving around 12pm... Now obviously as we move into pre-rut and rut will see more movement but before that time of year what do you go as a guide for time when they start moving again. What time do you stop searching for bedded deer and start waiting for them to come back to their feeding grounds ???

I have read a number of radio telemetry/gps studies on deer movement patterns and they all have found that deer commonly have 3 periods with the most spacial motion... dawn, dusk, and noon. Dawn or dusk will have the greatest amount of movement with a smaller upswing at noon. I have a mulie hunting book by David Long who strongly suggests hunting the hours around noon. He sites Boone and Crockett record books for justification of his rational. More precisely a small percentage of deer are taken at noon but it is even a smaller percentage of hunters in the field at this time making it statistically a higher percentage hunt.

Stéphane
10-31-2013, 02:00 PM
I have read a number of radio telemetry/gps studies on deer movement patterns and they all have found that deer commonly have 3 periods with the most spacial motion... dawn, dusk, and noon. Dawn or dusk will have the greatest amount of movement with a smaller upswing at noon. I have a mulie hunting book by David Long who strongly suggests hunting the hours around noon. He sites Boone and Crockett record books for justification of his rational. More precisely a small percentage of deer are taken at noon but it is even a smaller percentage of hunters in the field at this time making it statistically a higher percentage hunt.

Funny you're saying that. I was at the zoo for a workshop last Friday and at around 1pm, the WT started to get up and eat. However, the bucks were still down by the time we moved to another location.

luckofthedraw
10-31-2013, 03:44 PM
Good thread. I have spent countless hours on blacktails this year. This is the first year I have went after them with a bow and it is TOUGH. I find it super addicting. I find the same as most others. Slow,Quiet but not too quite. The wetter the better. Get a call for when you hear them just dont over do it. If I was a little quicker with the draw of my bow,I would have had a nice 3pt down in early october. Could have had the same 3pt in virtualy the same spot last week if I had been a tiny bit more patient. Left the truck before shooting light and couldn't ID the antlers despite knowing he was a buck because of size, and white face. Two rookie mistakes. There isnt a day out that I dont learn something new. I need to work on hunting in the wind, quicker on the draw and patients. Rut is heating up, seen bigger bucks with does and smaller bucks cruising. Get ready boys and girls....GO TIME!

Buckmeister
11-01-2013, 05:03 PM
How about tandem hunting? What I mean is two people hunting together. Any advise on how to pull that off while still trying to sound like a deer? There is an area I want to hike very badly, but because of the monster grizz in the area I don't want to go in alone. Do you spread out a bit, keeping close enough to see each other? I would assume it would be better to stick together or walk single file with some space between, as this is how I have observed deer movement in a group in the trees. How have you done it with success?

brian
11-01-2013, 08:01 PM
I was just thinking of that today as I saw the ass end of nice little buck. It would be nice if I had a hunting buddy working above me who could have had a crack at him cause he got out of my range in a hurry. It also would help if I was actually looking in the right direction too. The only time I have had success with a hunting buddy is when we split up, the deer escaping him hit me perfectly. But my father in law swears by the "use a hunting buddy that is slow, noisy, smokes, and wheezes" strategy. He killed numerous blacktails that were so preoccupied by his hunting buddy that they did not notice him sneak up behind them.

Muleymaniac
11-02-2013, 08:43 AM
Go extra slow, always glass ahead every step in the forest opens new area and keep in mind fresh windfall if hunting after a storm, deer love the lichen that grows on the trees.
Good luck.

shottyshooter
11-04-2013, 10:16 AM
Last year I bivyied up under a tree after dusk and lit a small fire. About half an hour later a couple deer walked down the trail 20 yards away from me. They didn't even notice, or care, that I was noisily flopping around in my sleeping bag to get a better look.

What are everyone's thoughts on fire/smoke as a "natural" scent cover? Some people have said that the deer are accustomed to the smell so it doesn't freak them out and it hides your presence fairly well...

LOL - maybe they just knew it was past legal shooting light and I couldn't see antlers anyways!

BCKyle
11-07-2013, 09:17 AM
What are everyone's thoughts on fire/smoke as a "natural" scent cover? Some people have said that the deer are accustomed to the smell so it doesn't freak them out and it hides your presence fairly well...

I'm interested to hear what people have to say about this as well; I've heard some people say smoke is ok and that cedar branches in a bag with your hunting clothes are both good. Somebody else mentioned some cedar branches in a cloth bag with your clothes in the dryer...

Anybody with experience there?

hare_assassin
11-07-2013, 09:21 AM
I'm interested to hear what people have to say about this as well; I've heard some people say smoke is ok and that cedar branches in a bag with your hunting clothes are both good. Somebody else mentioned some cedar branches in a cloth bag with your clothes in the dryer...

Anybody with experience there?

I heard Juniper works, so I've been using it. Still no whitetail in the freezer (hell, not even a glimpse!), but I can't say the smell is the reason. I'm probably doing 10 other things wrong. :)

For mulies, I don't even consider scent cover. I just walk or ride up to them and shoot them.

GoatGuy
11-07-2013, 09:34 AM
Wildlife don't have watches folks.

Pick up an academic paper that has gps collared animals if you want to know why and when they move.

Weatherby Fan
11-30-2013, 09:17 AM
How I took my best non typical. Camped on does that never had a buck around them.

This is something I have had success with and to add to that have made many mistakes not watching does long enough, watching a bedded doe for a while then getting impatient and jumping her.....more often than not in the rut bucks will not bed with the does but stand off and walk around them......be patient and keep glassing the doe's as he won't be far away.

westview
11-30-2013, 11:38 AM
A few guys have said here they only hunt in the rain. It's not always the case but a great tip, I think.
I have seen muley's together in hard rain, in open area's midday, has anyone seen this as well?

curt
11-30-2013, 02:59 PM
the key is slow and be aware of what your stepping on, its important to walk with a soft foot, stop often, look lots and listen, deer often travel corridors no more than 10-30 yards into the trees or off feeding area's.

Treed
09-13-2018, 10:41 AM
Bumping this thread up because it is full of great tips and observations!!

Tim Tam Slam
09-14-2018, 03:48 PM
Thanks Treed! Needed this!

Scotty76
09-21-2018, 01:20 PM
Some good info here. Just scanned through it and saw something about rattling mule deer. This last weekend I decided to try rattling. Got a small 2 point curious and he walked within ten yards from me. Pretty cool.

Do Mule deer in areas where there are no open alpine green bowls, still head to the highest elevation in the area generally? Even if it is just a timbered top, but the highest timbered area on the mountain? Ive only hunted them in open alpine in sepemtber but was curious to see what people think. I’m always amazed at how well they can traverse steep rocks just like sheep. Makes me think that the steeper the timbered mountain side, the better for them.

wideopenthrottle
09-21-2018, 01:47 PM
I am an impatient person by nature so the way I stay focused when I hunt is to count my steps.....every area I am stalking through gets an ongoing rating of how many paces I am allowed before I must stop and do a full look around.....30 is my absolute max even when I am walking down a road to get somewhere...I am often in the 5-10 range adjusting for conditions...... thumb on the safety and 1 pace at a time is when the heart starts to beat faster and you feel alive!

dino
09-21-2018, 01:49 PM
Yes they do like high timber.

srupp
09-21-2018, 03:39 PM
Look for 40 watt light bulb..rimrockers lick their nose to keep it efficient..that freshly licked nose shines like a 40 watt bulb..
Srupp

DrAL
11-22-2018, 12:03 PM
Big Lew has some good pointers. One other thing that has helped me is a heavy snowfall. If it is just dumping down, and there are a few inches on the ground at least, it is much easier to be quiet going in. Also, they don't seem to be inclined to move as much, not quite so jumpy.

Bugle M In
11-22-2018, 12:49 PM
I have found during heavy snowfall (and this is just my experience) that deer sometimes just stop moving.
They bed down early, wait it out, and once it is all done, then get up and start moving again!?

You can hunt all day, and during heavy snowfall (any old tracks get buried and un noticeable), and it feels like
the deer have left the valley.
Then after it stops, you suddenly see tracks again, and if you follow them backwards, you will find there beds, and the tracks leaving, but never entering (so they bedded early)

I always hunt regardless (limit to time), but do like hunting after heavy snowfall, rather then during, and only saying this so folks don't go out, and get discouraged thinking the deer have moved on, when in fact they haven't, they just stopped moving.

Just my experience, others may say different??

wideopenthrottle
11-22-2018, 02:03 PM
I have also noticed on 2 occasions where I walked all day in the snow looking for tracks but finding none, then coming back to my tracks the next day after snow has stopped I find deer tracks in my bootprints....one time up near loon lake I was able to follow the tracks in my bootprints and actually caught up to and shot the buck...

Would Rather Be Fishing
11-22-2018, 04:36 PM
blacktails love coming out in the pissing rain (as long as its not too windy) they seem to lose all comon sense.

That is actually something I always wondered: How active are deer in heavy rain versus good weather? I think that has been answered, thanks for that. WIll actually try hunting more in the rain next year....

Haydenmk
11-22-2018, 06:34 PM
In what way do you "walk" like a deer for crunchy conditions?

DDD
11-22-2018, 06:52 PM
“In what way do you walk like a deer for crunchy conditions?”

Fred Asbell writes about this in his book - Stalking and Still Hunting. His suggestion is walking planting your foot at the base of your toe first and allowing your heel to strike second (opposite what is common). I think it demands patients and forces a person to slow down. I can’t speak to it’s effectiveness but it looks real silly when my brother does it. Likely the more common approach is to pick a spot and just sit.

Wild one
11-22-2018, 06:56 PM
That is actually something I always wondered: How active are deer in heavy rain versus good weather? I think that has been answered, thanks for that. WIll actually try hunting more in the rain next year....

Blacktails rain gets them moving But WT and MD usually hunker down in the rain. With WT and MD once that ran stops they come out no matter the time of day

murph83
11-22-2018, 07:00 PM
I find that moving slowly, and randomly works good, walk for a few mins..take a 5min break..have a listen. Also, leave the noisey clothes at home, lots of wool and materials that dont make a bunch of noise.

Wild one
11-22-2018, 07:02 PM
In what way do you "walk" like a deer for crunchy conditions?

Few steps with light feet and long pause. Sounds simple but it takes time to learn how to place your feet, timing and pick your path

horshur
11-22-2018, 07:35 PM
Blacktails rain gets them moving But WT and MD usually hunker down in the rain. With WT and MD once that ran stops they come out no matter the time of day
Timber hunt Muleys in the rain in the morning..they are up..the bush is quit..and your scent is down. Best time next to an all night snowfall by far.

Wild one
11-22-2018, 07:52 PM
Timber hunt Muleys in the rain in the morning..they are up..the bush is quit..and your scent is down. Best time next to an all night snowfall by far.

Like the wet conditions for still hunting for the same reason as you just personally don’t have luck with MD till the rain breaks maybe it’s just me. That first 2 hrs the rain stops has been deadly for me though. Either way rainy days are good we just prefer different stages of it

Blacktail they almost seem to come out and have a party in the rain in comparison

dana
11-22-2018, 07:59 PM
Like the wet conditions for still hunting for the same reason as you just personally don’t have luck with MD till the rain breaks maybe it’s just me. That first 2 hrs the rain stops has been deadly for me though. Either way rainy days are good we just prefer different stages of it

Blacktail they almost seem to come out and have a party in the rain in comparison

I've killed numerous muleys in the timber in the pouring rain. Particulary love rain mixed with heavy fog. Nothing like serious upclose and personal encounters. :)

Wild one
11-22-2018, 08:45 PM
Fog again all good for me

Maybe you guys kill the ones that like the actual rain before I ever see them lol

dana
11-22-2018, 08:50 PM
Fog again all good for me

Maybe you guys kill the ones that like the actual rain before I ever see them lol

hahaha!!! :)

Haydenmk
11-22-2018, 10:47 PM
How many of you guys use a can call or rattling as you still hunt.. not to nessarily call a buck in but to sound like an approaching deer? Any success with mulies?

I've read every post in this thread. Thanks for the input!

Wild one
11-22-2018, 11:06 PM
How many of you guys use a can call or rattling as you still hunt.. not to nessarily call a buck in but to sound like an approaching deer? Any success with mulies?

I've read every post in this thread. Thanks for the input!

Yes in the rut mostly can call for MD but I will rattle. September October I use a kmeer deer call which is a basic communication call

dana
11-23-2018, 07:02 AM
I just burp as I hike. I try to sound like a buck cruising for does. If I bump up a deer. A burp usually relaxes them so I can get a better look at them. Post rut though, no burping. They are tired of fighting or being chased and will go the other way. Rattling doesn't seem to work well with muleys. You really need a high density of bucks to get even a hint of action. Raking with a shed antler works way better. Especially combined with burping. Real good way to turn a mature buck around that you have bumped up. He'll come right at you with ears pinned back spitting mad. Very good way to evaluate a buck that you only saw a glimpse of. Again, only works prerut and peak rut. Not post rut.

skibum
11-23-2018, 09:57 AM
How many of you guys use a can call or rattling as you still hunt.. not to nessarily call a buck in but to sound like an approaching deer? Any success with mulies? !

Can be some magical mulie days with the call can - but I have only been able to hit those magical days every second season or three. Neat to see those bucks come in.

I am starting to pattern rut spots for mulies - I don't know might be in my head, but it seems they are concentrating during the rut in a couple spots where I hunt

Bugle M In
11-23-2018, 12:29 PM
If your are real close to some MD Does, and there is a buck in the group, if you listen real hard, you can hear the buck making soft grunts as he approaches a doe.
To me, if you have a grunt call, instead of blowing outwards to make the sound, suck inwards with air, and the grunt is a lot softer, much more like a buck that is around some Does.

Dana does it differently as he has said, and I recall he posted along a video once of how he burps and scrapes which was great to see how others approach calling etc.

All I know is, I had 2 bucks fighting, so I thought I would grunt and see if I could get them to stop and look at me.
Nope, they took off in opposite directions like nobody's business, they were just gone! ????

Rattling has brought in the odd curious buck, but so far, nothing bigger then a small 3pt, and usually just the 2pt.
I think it is because some where out there, is a 4pt, but he is too busy with his does, so why bother for him??

Did use a can call when some deer scattered on me, and most didn't bother with it, but 1 doe did come back in a hurry towards me to see whats up.

I hear the distress call is a good one, but hard to find??

Wild one
11-23-2018, 01:24 PM
Bugle M In if you are calling the “deer stopper”and ”kmeer deer” style calls a distress call that is only one of the sounds they make. Most use the fawn call side to call does. The other call is just a communication bleat.

If we are thinking same style of call it’s the communication bleats that I have found most effective. Basically same principle as Dana trying to sound like a cruzing buck but instead you’re a doe going about her day

Myself I usually am not searching for big MD so I have always went with the doe approach in hopes of not spooking younger bucks

I have used the true talker grunt call with success as well but have had some buck spook from it to.

Bugle M In
11-23-2018, 01:49 PM
The one that I seen a few folks using is a small black plastic with rubber bands bite down call?
(similar to those original cow elk calls that came out in the mid 80's or so)

There are the "can calls" that one tips over, of which I found one that is npot a can style, but a mouth blow call that sounds exactly the same as the can call (much easier to pack).

Then there are the grunt calls, and there is one that I found that is supposibly for MD, but generally I don't see it sounding much different than the WT grunt calls in sound??
(that's the one is sometimes suck in to make the sound softer then the usual blow out)

I think there is one other type of call that I don't have that I have seen for sale, so I don't know about how that sounds or what it is used for.

A rattle bag is an easy thing to carry compared to antlers, imo, but you can't really use it to rake with, thus Dana's method of taking and antler along is the right idea.

Remember though folks, when deer bucks fight, it's not just the clanking and rattling of the antlers that you will hear.
They also tear up the ground and push each other thru brush and timber pretty hard at times too.
First time I heard them, I thought it was my hunting partner taking it easy while walking, lol.
Then it sounded like a bear trying to climb a tree or scratching a tree.
All the sounds that would make you think anything but 2 bucks fighting.

Lots of sounds when they fight.
Obviously different from when they are making rubs.
So consider that as well if you want to try and call them in.

Haydenmk
12-04-2018, 10:59 PM
Do you guys still rake trees with an antler in December??

dana
12-05-2018, 07:08 AM
Do you guys still rake trees with an antler in December??

No. Post rut means don't be aggressive. No burping and no raking. They are not looking for a fight and will head the other direction when encountered with aggressive behavior.

dchristo88
11-07-2019, 05:37 PM
Great info on this thread; as a new hunter in Region 8 i've tried hunting mule deer for 3 years with no success. i'm going to take much of this advice to heart. Thanks.