PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Mulie of the Season

hare_assassin
10-27-2013, 09:16 PM
After several trips into region 8, I found my second mulie buck today. I got up at 4:30 and was on the road by 5:00. Up to 1600-1700m well before sunrise, in a snow storm. Sat for 90 minutes or so, didn't see a thing and the weather was getting worse. Once I started to shiver, I decided the truck would be a nice place to be, especially while nursing a small hangover.

Drove around a bit up in the snow. No fresh tracks except hare, and I wasn't looking for hare.

Decided to reduce elevation. Drove down about 12-15k and dropped to maybe 1250m. Found a nice little road through a small cutblock. The rain had just stopped and ... Oh, there he is.

He was just a little 1x2, but as a meat hunter, I'm not picky. He was looking back at me over his back about 60m away. All I could see was his arse and his face. Good backstop, and not too far, so I put a 130gr. Trophy Copper right into his chin. Instant death. Broken jaw, cracked skull and scrambled brains. The bonus is no meat damage. Had him home and skinned by 1pm, and was able to get some chores done. Wife is quite pleased! ;)

The photos are fairly unpleasant, so I will not post them. If people want proof I can always crop out the gory stuff.

EDIT: Photos on page 2 now.

coach
10-27-2013, 09:19 PM
Well done, H-A! Now you can focus exclusively on elusive WT's. :-D

adriaticum
10-27-2013, 09:19 PM
Ha, ha yes we want proof.
Take that to your nearest notary public and get it certified! :mrgreen:
Good job!

Jelvis
10-27-2013, 09:20 PM
No photo dint happen lol you live in Kamloops and go to 8 for a spike buck?
Jel .. What's the deal loll Hahaha

hare_assassin
10-27-2013, 09:23 PM
Well done, H-A! Now you can focus exclusively on elusive WT's. :-D

Yes, indeed. That's the plan. Thinking of trying my hand at moose calling, too. :)

hare_assassin
10-27-2013, 09:24 PM
No photo dint happen lol you live in Kamloops and go to 8 for a spike buck?
Jel .. What's the deal loll Hahaha

Only allowed one MD buck in Region 3, which I got on Oct 1.

Jelvis
10-27-2013, 09:26 PM
Oh yah forgot good for you hare your doin good so far
Jel -- Way to go Hare

hare_assassin
10-27-2013, 09:27 PM
Ha, ha yes we want proof.
Take that to your nearest notary public and get it certified! :mrgreen:
Good job!

OK. Tomorrow I'll try edit something so that it won't make anyone feel queezy. Seriously, Mr. Buck had massive trauma to the face. Looked more like a grenade went off in his mouth.

hare_assassin
10-27-2013, 09:29 PM
Oh yah forgot good for you hare your doin good so far
Jel -- Way to go Hare

Thanks Jelly! My buddy got 2 so far as well. Now we just need to share an immie moose and get a couple of whitetail!

If that happens, it is going to be a slower year for snowshoe hare. :)

Jelvis
10-27-2013, 09:31 PM
As long as there are no eye balls sticking out then it could work.
Can't stand seeing eyeballs protruding on anything.
Jelly (Private) eyes

B-rad
10-27-2013, 10:15 PM
Woot woot,,,,,awesome hare,,,good job,,,,now go get them white tail bud!!we got another WT doe on Thursday out of a group of 6,,,,

Whonnock Boy
10-27-2013, 11:27 PM
Might be needing to change your user name. :wink: Nice work!

HIGHRPM
10-28-2013, 07:01 AM
Meat is meat! Meat for me is always first, trophy comes second !

hare_assassin
10-28-2013, 07:55 AM
OK. Here are some pics. If anyone thinks any of them are inappropriate please let me know and I will take them down (or a mod can simply remove the links to them in my post). I remember reading in the forum rules about avoiding really gory stuff, but I can't find the forum rules to review them. Anyone put off by it can rest assured that this animal didn't suffer. It was like flicking a light switch.

http://www.cogitech.ca/photos/hunting/Mule_2_1.jpg
http://www.cogitech.ca/photos/hunting/Mule_2_2.jpg
http://www.cogitech.ca/photos/hunting/Mule_2_3.jpg

hare_assassin
10-28-2013, 07:58 AM
Woot woot,,,,,awesome hare,,,good job,,,,now go get them white tail bud!!we got another WT doe on Thursday out of a group of 6,,,,

Thanks!

:D Still haven't seen a WT. I'm thinking it just isn't my year for WT. Congrats on getting another one. :)

hare_assassin
10-28-2013, 08:01 AM
Might be needing to change your user name. :wink: Nice work!

Thank you! In hindsight, I think you are right about the username. On the other hand, stalking and sniping hare in the middle of winter is still one of my favourite hunts.

adriaticum
10-28-2013, 08:32 AM
Ha,ha you like them head shots.
You know where they live!

BiG Boar
10-28-2013, 10:08 AM
Good job assasin! Way to fill the freezer! Them hares don't take up so much space.

hare_assassin
10-28-2013, 10:22 AM
Good job assasin! Way to fill the freezer! Them hares don't take up so much space.

Thanks!

My freezer is 22 cu. ft., so even with 2 deer in it there will be plenty of room for some hares, and a moose, and maybe another deer... :D

sapper
10-28-2013, 11:38 AM
Nice work, HA. I was waiting to read your story after seeing your comments on someone else's post I figured it would just be a matter of time. I agree, meat is meat. I picked up my spiker from the butcher's yesterday and after a few hours with the vacuum sealer he's all in the freezer now. :)
So, the bike was left at home this time, huh?! Was that a result of the "small hangover"?

hare_assassin
10-28-2013, 11:48 AM
Nice work, HA. I was waiting to read your story after seeing your comments on someone else's post I figured it would just be a matter of time. I agree, meat is meat. I picked up my spiker from the butcher's yesterday and after a few hours with the vacuum sealer he's all in the freezer now. :)
So, the bike was left at home this time, huh?! Was that a result of the "small hangover"?

Thanks!

The bike is always in the truck, but up in the snow I was hiking/sitting and then since the truck was warm and I was freezing, I decided to stay in the truck until I got out of the snowy area. The plan was to pull the bike out and do some exploring down low, but then there was Mr. Buck in the first cutblock; so "bang-flop".