PDA

View Full Version : Setting camp in the "Deer Zone"

BigfishCanada
10-27-2013, 10:38 AM
There's an area of hunting near my cabins that my renters have tagged many deer over the years, and from reports this year people are setting camps right where many deer have been tagged years prior.
I am lucky to have a cabin, but when i didn't I would NEVER set camp right where the deer are, for two reasons, cause id like to hike in and walk that area first light, second I was worried that a different hunter would be shooting at a running dear and if im camped in the deer zone I may end up with a shot at camp.

My question is, is it greed or stupidity or is it a smart thing that im just not smart enough to understand? I'll also bet some of you reading this are some of the guys doing this, so id like to hear from you on why?

My regulars last year and years prior would see 30+ deer a day in that area, and this year under 5, so was it the full moon? Hot Sunny days? Or because these hunting camps have driven the deer elsewhere?

Not trying to offend, just trying to understand why you would even want to do that?

BigfishCanada
10-27-2013, 10:40 AM
PS one of the worst Octobers in a long time from a results of deer hanging from my poles? I think it was a combo, WOlves, Camps(Traffic) The moon and hot sunny days we had this year. Hopefully Novemeber will be better

takla1
10-27-2013, 11:01 AM
When you go hunting away from you residence do you set up a camp close to good game holding area's?This is the same argument ive heard over the yrs from the outfitters who think THEY own the rights to ALL the land in not only their little guideing area but ALL surrounding areas.I hunted up in the takla lake region for over 20 yrs and this was a big bone of contention so much so the outfitter tried exhaustively to limite access by gateing and also canvassing the ferry across Babine lake not to take hunters only loggers.Listen,its a free country,we all pay tax's and have a right to hunt public lands as long as all rules are followed.

jessonml
10-27-2013, 11:19 AM
Maybe they missed the signs that said "this is the DEER ZONE, HUNT HERE and shoot a big one"

adriaticum
10-27-2013, 11:30 AM
When you go hunting away from you residence do you set up a camp close to good game holding area's?This is the same argument ive heard over the yrs from the outfitters who think THEY own the rights to ALL the land in not only their little guideing area but ALL surrounding areas.I hunted up in the takla lake region for over 20 yrs and this was a big bone of contention so much so the outfitter tried exhaustively to limite access by gateing and also canvassing the ferry across Babine lake not to take hunters only loggers.Listen,its a free country,we all pay tax's and have a right to hunt public lands as long as all rules are followed.

You're missing the point.
What the OP is talking about is setting up camp right where the deer are which means the deer will move somewhere else.
Instead of setting up camp far away from the deer and then walking up to them.

Ron.C
10-27-2013, 11:39 AM
We took one deer and saw dozens within 150 from our basecamp this year. Yes, we knew there were historically lots of WT deer in the area. No, we were not setting up there just to keep anyone else out. Matter of fact a young couple hunting the same area took two deer within a few minutes walk from our camp. We also had Moose in the area that were not the slightest bit bothered by our camp. Camp and hunt where and how you want. But if you choose to do so in easy access areas like the area we set our basecamp up in, expect to see others hunting the same area.

takla1
10-27-2013, 11:39 AM
You're missing the point.
What the OP is talking about is setting up camp right where the deer are which means the deer will move somewhere else.
Instead of setting up camp far away from the deer and then walking up to them.

I don't think so,sounds to me like he has a vested interest in the area as he rents cabins to returning deer hunters,lets call a spade a spade and not sugar coat it.There were many instances where there were conflicts with outfitters over the yrs because of this mindset by the outfitters.They are trying to protect their investment.Unless you hunting a migratory deer population as in the interior mule deer most deer live in a very small area adjacent to where there born.where beter to set up camp then where the deer are I ask,,,seems like a no-brainer to me

BigfishCanada
10-27-2013, 11:40 AM
Ya not saying its private property, not saying that you cant, just wondering why? Even the danger aspect? Hell I don't really give a crap myself, I head to the other directions of the crowd now? But when I do camp I consider flying bullets and usually camp below an an area you wouldn't expect people shooting

adriaticum
10-27-2013, 11:52 AM
Where beter to set up camp then where the deer are I ask,,,seems like a no-brainer to me

If you setup camp where the deer are they will not come out once they smell you. They will go elsewhere.
Setup camp away from where the deer are, down wind, down the mountain, somewhere else.
Just not right where the deer are.
It's a no brainer!

People wouldn't be investing so much time and money in skills and disguise if we could just setup camp where the deer are and they come and sit in our lap or eat from our hand.

Same scenario when I'm out fishing and I see people up to their waist in water.
Get out of the water Einstein, you are scaring my fish! Lots of fish travel in 3 feet of water.
No brainer for some.

takla1
10-27-2013, 12:04 PM
If you setup camp where the deer are they will not come out once they smell you. They will go elsewhere.
Setup camp away from where the deer are, down wind, down the mountain, somewhere else.
Just not right where the deer are.
It's a no brainer!

People wouldn't be investing so much time and money in skills and disguise if we could just setup camp where the deer are and they come and sit in our lap or eat from our hand.

Same scenario when I'm out fishing and I see people up to their waist in water.
Get out of the water Einstein, you are scaring my fish! Lots of fish travel in 3 feet of water.
No brainer for some.
lol.when the ruts on THEY will come and sit on YOUR lap and eat from your hand

BearStump
10-27-2013, 12:06 PM
is it possible that they arrived in the dark and parked the camp in the first flat spot they could find? maybe its a new area to these guys and they didn't know they were camping in "the sweet spot".

takla1
10-27-2013, 12:12 PM
What is most probable is the word got out from pryer clients of the OP who have rented cabins there and decided why pay for the cabins when we know where the deer are and can camp on crown land for free...no brainer as I said before..simple as that

Jagermeister
10-27-2013, 01:29 PM
What is most probable is the word got out from pryer (sic) clients of the OP who have rented cabins there and decided why pay for the cabins when we know where the deer are and can camp on crown land for free...no brainer as I said before..simple as thatThat's about the size of it. Never worry about camping where the deer are hanging out unless they are trampling your tent during the night. Remember Brambles and his episode with the grizzly when Brambles camped on the trail. Wildlife doing the Bristol Stomp.

r106
10-27-2013, 01:55 PM
Deer area??? you have to be kidding me. Adriaticom and BigFishCanada must have some full freezers if they know where all the " deer zones " are in the province. LOL

Just because a few people have had success in that area doesn't mean everyone is supposed to know about it. My guess is someone thought they found a great camping spot off the beaten path.

As far as I'm concerned the " deer area " is in the bush, I camp in the bush so maybe thats why I've had no luck this year.

solo
10-27-2013, 02:00 PM
The end result seems clear enough, very little game taken from a productive area. I can imagine that downtown Vancouver was once a productive spot for game too, not so much now that so many people live there.

BigfishCanada
10-27-2013, 02:05 PM
:), love some of the replies. No deer in my freezer this year, no greed from me in this, no hidden conspiracy's and most people that hunt this spot are put onto it from someone(one way in and one way out). It was a great spot years ago but again due to so much traffic I myself , i don't even bother checking it out. So does the fear of lots of hunting traffic not give any fear of possible shooting gallery?

RayHill
10-27-2013, 03:22 PM
Non of this matters with deer... Deer eat in the same cuts that loggers are cutting logs in at the same times.. I saw about 6-10 deer eating right by guys building a log house with not a care in the world. Chainsaws, banging, cranes, talking they were staying pout and eating.. If you don't have fires and are low key you can just drive right in a good spot and park up high in a cut. You can get up first light kick the door open to the camper and shoot one in the first five mins I have seen it done and I could have done it too, but when i went out for the morning piss I left the gun in the camper... Never do this! If the deer are there they are there.. If you park by them they will go or move around you but not by much.

BRrooster
10-27-2013, 03:43 PM
We camp where we hunt. Im not much for an hour long quad ride in the cold and dark to hunt anywhere. Our guys park off to the side of the road and let everyone
by . Its a dead end road but not for about anouther km so theres lots of room to hunt past the camp. Some of us bowhunt and cant hunt an area more than 75 meters in diameter anyway. Most hunters drive in check out the area and leave. We are back in the woods in our stands and blinds and rarely see anyone else. As for shooting danger, we are in a fairly protected area and in 15 years have had no issues. It could still happen I guess but then you could get shot anywhere! When walking out we wear something orange, a vest or touque or something.
My trail cam shows deer at all times of the day, not really concerned about our camp (with our cozy campfire), within 1/2 Km from them. And no one is allowed to shoot the fool hen that visits camp every day.

tim3500
10-27-2013, 04:27 PM
I guess if all the traffic has pushed the animals somewhere else it might be a smart hunter to figure out where they went. I bet they just went to the other side where its safer and harder to get at

finngun
10-27-2013, 04:42 PM
what is sweeter than pop nice buck from you cabin bedroom window.100m from that cabin..i like that idea..:mrgreen: and tell you sweet heart..please go and skin it..:-D

tomahawk
10-27-2013, 04:52 PM
Ya not saying its private property, not saying that you cant, just wondering why? Even the danger aspect? Hell I don't really give a crap myself, I head to the other directions of the crowd now? But when I do camp I consider flying bullets and usually camp below an an area you wouldn't expect people shooting

Maybe the campers that are there dont know its the deer zone, maybe they are new to the area and just happenened to pick that spot.

Jelvis
10-27-2013, 06:05 PM
Maybe some old timers kinda wondered about those cabins you built on their old deer spots lol. Right where they used to see deer.
Jel .. it's called freedom of choice ..

Ferenc
10-27-2013, 06:14 PM
Hey Bigfish...they will be out by November 1st....just hope your area doesnt turn out like Tunkwa..I can remember going to the meadows and seeing no one...you will find the big ones soon..good luck !!!!

BigfishCanada
10-27-2013, 07:19 PM
Maybe some old timers kinda wondered about those cabins you built on their old deer spots lol. Right where they used to see deer.
Jel .. it's called freedom of choice ..

Jelvis, the deer never roamed on my properties because your cousin would eat em up, remember the story of 1977 http://www.ufobc.ca/Supernatural/Bigfoot/redlake1977.htm

Also some days ive seen more deer on the property than in the bush :)
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/902952_10151345759616975_687886807_o.jpg
Love the comments, I didn't say once you couldn't camp wherever you want, camp away everyone, There's enough space for all!! :) The fishing has been incredible by the way!

139grainsofhell
10-30-2013, 06:35 PM
The woods are getting busier with new hunters nothing wrong with that , I don't believe it's so much where you camp, ya have some thought about it don't camp on a trail or to close to bedding areas that is if that person knows the area but I think it's more about the amount of hunters and road and foot traffic. I've seen more guys out and about this year then any other, that's what will drive the animals into the thickets or nocturnal don't really think the camp spot is the issue have had lots of deer cross thru all my camps over the years and have camped on top of them sometimes and have never driven them out of the area.