PDA

View Full Version : Recurve Instruction

SpruceGoose
10-26-2013, 03:35 PM
I bought a recurve in the spring of this year, I love shooting it but I'm not hitting consistent groupings yet. This season is pretty much out of the question but I'd still to find someone that can help me with some technique and show me how to tune my bow and arrows correctly so I can feel 100% confident for next season. I am shooting a 50# Kodiak Magnum with gold tip traditional hunter arrows. I am willing to pay for some sessions to a qualified person or I can trade for game processing as I have a small shop in Kamloops.

greybark
10-26-2013, 05:01 PM
If you can make it down I`ll spend several hours with you for nothing , Am in Chilliwack .....

BradB
10-27-2013, 08:33 AM
I'm in the same boat (and town) as you, Spruce. How often do you get out shooting and where do you go?

Monashee
10-28-2013, 12:06 PM
you need a lighter weight bow to learn good form 25-30lbs is right

SpruceGoose
11-08-2013, 06:03 PM
I live up in Juniper so I put my target in the sticks up here. I try and shoot 3 times a week. I ended up finding "Outsyder Adventures" and they gave me a lesson and some good help, i think ill do that again. Also debating selling the bow and getting a lower poundage, lots of people have made that comment to me.

BradB
11-08-2013, 07:43 PM
hmmm.....never heard of them but I'll have to look t hem up

JasonH
11-08-2013, 11:12 PM
I'm the same as you both. I shoot my recurve tons, but getting a group within 1-2 inches consistently from 10 yards can be difficult. Some nights are better than others. Have been debating getting the compound...

aggiehunter
11-09-2013, 11:18 AM
If you can take that offer from Greybark...he'll tune you up in a hurry...and the price is right...take him some asparugus..

Bear_Down
11-14-2013, 02:59 PM
Make sure you ancore the same every time ie a thumb on your ear and string touching a point on your cheek. Also when you draw squeeze your shoulder blades together this will ensure you have the same weight / draw weight each time. These should be a good start form is critical.

aggiehunter
11-14-2013, 10:08 PM
your poundage cannot be determined unless we know more about you...that being said and although I have praised Greybark I will offer some advice. Make sure the grip is aligned properly and don't overly grip the bow...if you wish to learn olympic style pointing one finger and barely holding the bow will cause you grief..especially in a tree stand..just don't overgrip the handle...make sure to come to a "consistent" anchor point...not all people are the same..just be consistent...always burn your eyes into the target and try and forget about everything else....now probably one of the most important..for me...watch the arrow hit the target before your bow arm or head moves...hey it's just that simple...until....big buck...frozen hands....etc.....