PDA

View Full Version : Need some mulie strategy

Davy Crockett
10-26-2013, 03:21 PM
I have been hunting 5-02 in the 100 Mile area with my daughter for her doe draw. We have seen a few does over a day and a half but none we could get a shot at. We found an area in the Timothy Lake area with a ton of sign. The only issue is it is very dry with a lot of deadfall/blowdown so coming in quietly is almost impossible. How likely is still hunting to be successful? My thought was to come in before first light and sit tight and wait for something to come down the game trail.

I know for whitetail this would be ok but will it work for mulies too? I hate to waste a morning sitting around if it is a low probability venture. We have had two tough mornings already and we are both getting a bit frustrated.

xtrail
10-26-2013, 03:23 PM
I have been hunting 5-02 in the 100 Mile area with my daughter for her doe draw. We have seen a few does over a day and a half but none we could get a shot at. We found an area in the Timothy Lake area with a ton of sign. The only issue is it is very dry with a lot of deadfall/blowdown so coming in quietly is almost impossible. How likely is still hunting to be successful? My thought was to come in before first light and sit tight and wait for something to come down the game trail.

I know for whitetail this would be ok but will it work for mulies too? I hate to waste a morning sitting around if it is a low probability venture. We have had two tough mornings already and we are both getting a bit frustrated.
If you are confident the mulies move through there, it should work. Good Luck!

thepitchedlink
10-26-2013, 03:31 PM
Hey, I just got back from that area looking for a moose....saw 6 mulies in 3 days, managed to drop the one and only buck we saw. We saw a fair amount of deer sign and some moose, but never laid eyes on a live moose. I shot the deer at about 8 am in a cut block/logging road area while walking/sitting over the morning. It was more dumb luck then any skill on my part. I was surprised at the lack of game we saw in gerneral...although the sign seemed to say that there was activity recently.....it was like they just all got up and left the area......

ru rancher
10-26-2013, 03:31 PM
if you think the trail is used every day then it should work just fine for a doe id say pick a spot with lots of sign but also a good amount of area that you can watch

coach
10-26-2013, 04:19 PM
Your strategy could definitely work.. OR you could hunt the areas I PM'd you about and be done quickly. :-D

ru rancher
10-26-2013, 04:30 PM
hahah ya must say iv never hunted 100 mile area but 5-2 around where i live does are easy picking lol

boxhitch
10-26-2013, 07:16 PM
Sure glad that full moon is over , and some clouds are on the way to make the nights even darker. Just in time for the pre rut to kick in .

Davy Crockett
10-26-2013, 07:27 PM
Your strategy could definitely work.. OR you could hunt the areas I PM'd you about and be done quickly. :-D

I have...fog has been a problem. Both mornings were socked in lower down and visibility was an issue. Friday in particular was terrible, couldn't see 50 feet especially when moving in cover. Lots of sign in the area though. We may go back now that the weather is changing.

Davy Crockett
10-26-2013, 07:37 PM
Hey, I just got back from that area looking for a moose....saw 6 mulies in 3 days, managed to drop the one and only buck we saw. We saw a fair amount of deer sign and some moose, but never laid eyes on a live moose. I shot the deer at about 8 am in a cut block/logging road area while walking/sitting over the morning. It was more dumb luck then any skill on my part. I was surprised at the lack of game we saw in gerneral...although the sign seemed to say that there was activity recently.....it was like they just all got up and left the area......

That seems to mirror our experience. We have seen only 5 does in two days but a ton of tracks and droppings, both deer and moose pretty much everywhere we go. We have walked and driven, covered a lot of ground but seen very little other than a lot of grouse.

coach
10-26-2013, 07:45 PM
I have...fog has been a problem. Both mornings were socked in lower down and visibility was an issue. Friday in particular was terrible, couldn't see 50 feet especially when moving in cover. Lots of sign in the area though. We may go back now that the weather is changing.

That's too bad. It seems like there's fog all over southern BC right now. In the second area I told you about, the road takes you a lot higher above the power line. Great area up there to look around. You stand a very good chance of seeing bucks too. Good luck tomorrow.

M.Dean
10-26-2013, 07:54 PM
About the only time I've seen still hunting work is when the hunter who sits there for a good hour or so, knows the deer are crossing in that general area. I don't have enough patience to try and stand still for more than a few minutes unless I've seen game and am trying to figger out which ones the biggest! If I were you, what I'd do is try to think about which area you and your Daughter have seen the most deer over the last few days, and try to be there a good half hour before day light. I don't mean to be standing exactly where the deer were standing, but as day light slowly dawns, try to sneak as quietly as possible to a spot where you guys can see the most area from your hiding spot. If no deer show, try to, very slowly walk around the area and see if you can spot the deer moving before they spot you. And, try to have a real positive attitude! No negative Waves! Your both trying to out smart these deer, so do it!!! Try not to walk out in the open, use every thing around you for cover, any high brush, the trees, high little hills, anything to keep the deer from seeing you first!!! So,in a nut shell, get as close to the spot where you've seen the most deer before day light, not so close where there going to hear the truck or see you guys walking in, stay low, find the deer before they find you, shoot a nice big fat one, take lots of good pic's, and we'll all expect to read your story tomorrow night, and look at all the priceless pictures you guys took!!! Good Luck!

Weatherby Fan
10-26-2013, 08:07 PM
I would say whichever spot ya go to watch your wind first and foremost,...........I'm sure you will connect if your seeing that much fresh sign.
WF