PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know a good venison meat sauce recipe?

shadowhunter
10-26-2013, 12:14 PM
Looking for a spaghetti and meat sauce recipe, could I just use a beef one? Or is there a better way? I have a ton of ground and looking to make a bunch of it and freeze it. Any info is greatly appreciated!

Mishka
10-26-2013, 12:28 PM
You can use a beef recipe. I usually just make it up as I go, but I'm sure there's a lot of recipes online. Try allrecipes.com.

Chili is another one that's good to freeze. I usually make a huge batch and freeze them into separate meals. Very handy to have in the freezer.

Paulyman
10-26-2013, 12:37 PM
I use crushed tomatoes and tomato paste as the base a lot of garlc, oregano, basil, salt and onion, a little cinnamon, cloves and red chillis.the key to a good meat sauce is to put it on low heat and let it simmer for a few hours.

shadowhunter
10-26-2013, 12:57 PM
I use crushed tomatoes and tomato paste as the base a lot of garlc, oregano, basil, salt and onion, a little cinnamon, cloves and red chillis.the key to a good meat sauce is to put it on low heat and let it simmer for a few hours.
Thanks for the reply guys! I was thinkin the same thing maybe use the slow-cooker.

Paulyman
10-26-2013, 03:11 PM
one thing I forgot to mention is to thicken it with a bit of corn starch at the end.

SpruceGoose
10-26-2013, 03:40 PM
I'd cut it with some ground pork if you can, venison can dry out a bit.

Mishka
10-26-2013, 04:35 PM
I add pork to venison when making burgers or sausage, but I find in a sauce there's no need to add pork if you don't want to.

Foxton Gundogs
10-28-2013, 08:03 AM
I always add a 1/2lb of medium Italian Sausage meat to 1 Lb burger(game or extra lean beef) before frying it try this then proceed with my normal recipe.

1980skywalker
10-28-2013, 08:12 AM
Chop up an onion, few strips of bacon, and a few cloves of garlic, saute in pan until onions are soft, add ground venison and saute until venison is cooked and browned. Add your favorite sauce, ragu works for me but anything really, turn heat down and stir for a few minutes, add a can of tomato paste, stir. Season to taste, salt, pepper, I like montreal steak spice, but whatever floats your boat, enjoy.

hare_assassin
10-28-2013, 08:14 AM
I add pork to venison when making burgers or sausage, but I find in a sauce there's no need to add pork if you don't want to.

I agree. The leaner the better when it comes to making Bolognese. My recipe is very similar to Paulyman's. I also add a bit of sugar, which neutralizes the acid, and to thicken it I just leave the lid off near the end of the simmer and let the moisture evaporate.

Ground deer is also excellent with the El Paso taco or burrito mixes. We had "Deerritos" the other night with all the fixin's and they were excellent!

winchester284
10-28-2013, 08:21 AM
My meat sauce recipe includes some carrots, celery and onions. I dice the celery and onions quite small and the carrots are grated. I cook these down till they are quite soft then set them aside. In a separate pan I brown the ground venison quickly but don't over cook it. I season it with salt and pepper, a teaspoon or so of chilli sauce, a half teaspoon of cinnamon and a dash of nutmeg. For sauce I'll usually use Prego tomato sauce original or sometimes just crushed tomatoes. I'll add a teaspoon or so of brown sugar (more if I use crushed tomatoes) as this takes away some of the sharpness of the tomato sauce. Then I add back the cooked vegetables.

Normally meat sauce has to be simmered a long time to develop the flavors but that tends to overcook the venison. This method, the sauce if finished in 15 to 20 minutes and the flavors are awesome. The cinnamon and nutmeg add depth but you can't identify that they are in the sauce.

It freezes very well.

longstonec
10-28-2013, 08:38 AM
Another good trick if you make a pot of venison bolo is to add some fresh made pesto into the meat sauce after its done reducing.

shadowhunter
10-28-2013, 10:08 PM
Thanks for the responses guys, last night I made a recipie of another site especially made for venison, it was superb! Defenatly going in the folder!