PDA

View Full Version : a question about the age of moose sign

srthomas75
10-26-2013, 07:46 AM
I was hoping to find out what others thought about how long moose droppings can last before it disintegrates in the forest. I know having some pictures for reference would be helpful for this but.... On the moose trip I went on this year we saw what seemed to be a ton of sign in several different types of spots. [ chilcotin area , taseko lake ] Whether I was in the timber or in a 5 to 10 year old cut block I was surprised by the volume. I know this area is generally dry without much precipitation which would obviously affect how long the turd piles will sit there.
What do people think is a reasonable time for a pile to stay firm and darker in color in a drier climate? The other thing that made me wonder this was the fact that we didn't see much in the way of animals despite all of the sign. :confused:

.300WSMImpact!
10-26-2013, 08:01 AM
moose poo lasts for years in the bush, if nothing walks on it

takla1
10-26-2013, 09:14 AM
just like deer,if its dark and shiny,slimy,its fresh,break it open and note the colour difference,the fresher the more the inside and outside will be same colour.Moose droppings will dry out over the course of a yr and last in the bush for 2 or more yrs before they degrade.

gamehunter6o
10-26-2013, 11:46 AM
The most accurate way of determining the freshness on deer pellets is to bite the pellet. If it has the texture of a stale bun, it's old.
But if it has the soft texture of a fresh doughnut, deer are close by.

ru rancher
10-26-2013, 12:31 PM
^^ hahaha works everytime

knighthunter
10-26-2013, 07:09 PM
Not an answer to ypur questions but with that volume of crap, the area is likely a wintering area, when no season is on. Those moose could be miles away & scattered all over.

MB_Boy
10-26-2013, 07:21 PM
The most accurate way of determining the freshness on deer pellets is to bite the pellet. If it has the texture of a stale bun, it's old.

What about moose though as the OP asked??

If you bite into it are they tender like a croissant? Deer = doughnuts........moose = ??????

M.Dean
10-26-2013, 08:24 PM
There is noway in Hell you'd get me to eat fresh Moose Crap, by it's self! So, what I do is spread it on a Ritz Cracker, if you can spread it with eaze, without the Cracker breaking, and it's soft like a good cheese and tastes like a fine aged cheddar, it's fresh! Load your gun cuz there's Mooses near by! But, if you half to put the Moose Crap in your mouth for a good minute or two to get it to spread, it's old, no Moose here!!! Go buy some beef for winter, you won't be eatt'in Moose steaks my friend!!! It's going to take you time to be able to tell the age of Moose and Deer Poo by eating it, so don't get down on yourself, do like most of us have done over the years, gather up some nice fresh Moose and Deer crap, and some old Moose and Deer crap, the new poop is a darker color, the old crap has a lighter appearance, take both home, and in the evenings when you and the wife are all snuggled up on the couch, bring out a bowl of each, and with the lights down low, sample each one, and after you've eaten 3 or four of each, give the Wife a big wet kiss!!! And, if possible try and get this on Video, we here at HBC will tell you if your getting the hang of it, once you get home from the hospital!!! Have a great season, and Good Luck!!!

Fincat
10-26-2013, 08:40 PM
I LOVE IT!!!!! Good test

Caveman
10-26-2013, 08:44 PM
Dark green, very fresh, black and soft, not so fresh, brown and dry, old, grey to white last year. I prefer mine green ;)

MB_Boy
10-26-2013, 08:48 PM
If you can see it making poop.......that sh*t is fresh.

HarryToolips
10-26-2013, 09:16 PM
There is noway in Hell you'd get me to eat fresh Moose Crap, by it's self! So, what I do is spread it on a Ritz Cracker, if you can spread it with eaze, without the Cracker breaking, and it's soft like a good cheese and tastes like a fine aged cheddar, it's fresh! Load your gun cuz there's Mooses near by! But, if you half to put the Moose Crap in your mouth for a good minute or two to get it to spread, it's old, no Moose here!!! Go buy some beef for winter, you won't be eatt'in Moose steaks my friend!!! It's going to take you time to be able to tell the age of Moose and Deer Poo by eating it, so don't get down on yourself, do like most of us have done over the years, gather up some nice fresh Moose and Deer crap, and some old Moose and Deer crap, the new poop is a darker color, the old crap has a lighter appearance, take both home, and in the evenings when you and the wife are all snuggled up on the couch, bring out a bowl of each, and with the lights down low, sample each one, and after you've eaten 3 or four of each, give the Wife a big wet kiss!!! And, if possible try and get this on Video, we here at HBC will tell you if your getting the hang of it, once you get home from the hospital!!! Have a great season, and Good Luck!!!
LOL!! Another thing ya should be takin into consideration is are the droppings in the direct sun for alot of the day, or are they in a low drainage ditch, as obviously it will be hard to age em then..

frenchbar
10-26-2013, 09:21 PM
http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4085/5175623035_179b3d03a8_z.jpg

srthomas75
10-26-2013, 09:30 PM
LOL!! Another thing ya should be takin into consideration is are the droppings in the direct sun for alot of the day, or are they in a low drainage ditch, as obviously it will be hard to age em then..

not to confuse anything with the original post but I am quite aware of new / old / fresh / stale poops etc... I was more curious of opinions on how long some of it lasts laying in a slash or under timber. Mainly because we saw such a concentration everywhere on this years trip but it didn't coincide with animal sightings.

I do enjoy some of the advice on testing though. I haven't had my wife test any yet though as she doesn't hunt with me.

MB_Boy
10-26-2013, 09:33 PM
not to confuse anything with the original post but I am quite aware of new / old / fresh / stale poops etc... I was more curious of opinions on how long some of it lasts laying in a slash or under timber. Mainly because we saw such a concentration everywhere on this years trip but it didn't coincide with animal sightings..

Were they pellets or patties?

srthomas75
10-26-2013, 09:37 PM
pellets, but the patty type was another curiosity too. sometimes they are like a hybrid poop. patty with some formed pellets. too much of a certain feed for the animal and it gets the runs like cattle ?????

knighthunter
10-27-2013, 07:32 PM
I've found that the paddy/pie shape of poop is more prevalent during the summer/early fall when the moose are eating more water lillies than roughage.