PDA

View Full Version : Hunting blacktail near Chilliwack

Mathil
10-25-2013, 06:29 PM
Hey everyone!

It's my first hunting season, and first I'd like to thank everyone for all of the great information, humour, and stories posted here.

I'm a "first generation" hunter, with no family to show me the ropes, so my learning process has pretty much been Internet research and traipsing through the woods, or sitting on a tree and watching an area for a while. It's amazing the things you see when you allow yourself to blend in.

Unfortunately, I haven't come across any Blacktails, doe or buck. Am I sitting in the wrong areas? Is it still too warm and dry for them to be coming down? Walking around 1" branches are cracking like matchsticks under my feet, and I've heard that the blacktails like thick brush.

I've been in the depot creek area, as far in as I could reliably pack an animal out. Off the depot creek FSR about 500m at the least.

any tips? I've searched and read everything I could catch on here.

I'd love a mentor! I'm 26, own my own RV manufacture business, so I have a flexible schedule and can go out pretty much anytime. I have a .308, Sitka rainwear to sit in sideways rain all day, and if you need I can help you out with your RV repairs ;) I don't have a quad at all, perhaps next season.

thanks for any help!

monasheemountainman
10-25-2013, 06:39 PM
Well I can't speak for the chilliwack area but if you are ever in the okanagan and wanna go out for a hunt send me a pm and I can show you some spots. Good luck!

Charts
10-25-2013, 06:53 PM
I agree... if you're free and wanna hunt the interior send me a PM.. I drink beer chew tobacco and love hunting so if you can handle that send me a PM and maybe we can plan a hunt

BuckNaked
10-25-2013, 07:24 PM
Are you finding any sign?

adriaticum
10-25-2013, 07:30 PM
There is nothing worth hunting for in Chilliwack. With all the shooters, ATV-ers and campers I don't think any animal in the right mind would stick around.
Maybe in the late fall winter months, but right now, especially with the nice weather we are having, I don't think it's worth it.

nature girl
10-25-2013, 07:40 PM
I found when I hunted blacktails the crappier the weather raining is when I got deer. Up high in sept and in Nov

Mathil
10-25-2013, 08:42 PM
I'm thinking of possibly driving out to Merrit this weekend, perhaps I'll see some sign up there. I'll just pick a FSR and go as far as I can I suppose, the only thing is, now I need to buy a whitetail license :p

604redneck
10-25-2013, 09:33 PM
u will have a good chance at a mule deer if u head up this weekend into the merrit area.....always a chance for a white tail too

303Fan
10-26-2013, 06:49 AM
Well there is no deer in Chilliwack this proves it.
http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/rr208/303Fan/100_1030.jpg (http://s484.photobucket.com/user/303Fan/media/100_1030.jpg.html)

Camp Cook
10-26-2013, 09:01 AM
I've been up the valley a few times this fall work is super busy so I haven't been out as much as I would like.

I have only seen a few does and 1 spike buck that was back during the last rain storms.

I haven't seen anything since that bad weather left = good weather like we are having totally sucks for Blacktail deer hunting.

Dec 2 2012

http://www.hunt101.com/data/504/medium/Jason_s_Dec_2_2012_3X4_Coastal_Blacktail_005.JPG

brian
10-26-2013, 10:40 AM
There is a ton of road hunting in the Wack, which I have theorized drives the deer away from the roads and makes them more nocturnal. So you could be sitting in the right area, but have little hope of seeing anything during the light of day. The mountains there are steep and gnarly which gives the pressured deer a ton of hard to access terrain to hide out in. There are way more deer there than people suspect, but you have to find their pockets and that will be in the areas over-looked by other hunters or are tough to access.

Just
12-13-2013, 06:56 PM
So this being the last weekend for hunting region 2 Chilliwack Valley. ARe the deer still in Rut. Or are they all just down low trying to find food cause of the low snow line. Thinking either early steelhead in the vedder or one last trek into the rain forest mountains in search of the elusive BUCKS that inhabit this Valley......supposidly!

Camp Cook
12-13-2013, 07:23 PM
I'm hunting = steelhead can wait a few more days...

I finally found where the deer in my area have gone I have been as high as I can get and been across the middle = where do I finally find fresh track way down low so low that I would need to pack one 1/2 way up the freaking mtn to get back to the road...

Not sure if I have it in me to pack a deer uphill that far any more aahhh who am I kidding I'm heading down to where they are.

I can't go Saturday so Sunday is my last kick at the can and I really hope its raining hard so I can give my newly arrived today Kuiu Chugach NX Vias rain jacket a good workout.