PDA

View Full Version : hunting around Merritt

davet
10-25-2013, 05:14 PM
I have never really driven around this area but are there any decent areas to hunt around Merritt? Im not a road hunter but I dont feel like driving up there to see nothing. I just spent 4 days by Hat creek ranch and saw 1 Live mule doe and 4 dead ones.

shadowhunter
10-25-2013, 05:39 PM
Almost every exit merritt to kamloops will put you in half decent deer country, just have to walk slow and glass.

davet
10-25-2013, 05:47 PM
are there lots of farm / fenced areas
QUOTE=shadowhunter;1403939]Almost every exit merritt to kamloops will put you in half decent deer country, just have to walk slow and glass.[/QUOTE]

shadowhunter
10-25-2013, 06:11 PM
If you get closer to douglas lake yes, but if you stick to hwy 5 between merritt and kamloops there isnt a ton. Just pick a road, drive in and start hiking ridges behind cutblocks.

olympia
10-25-2013, 06:42 PM
tell us more about the dead ones, were they shot?

davet
10-25-2013, 06:46 PM
ya 4 hides, heads and feet. i did call it in to the CO. They said it might be natives. obviously not trophy hunters, all the meat was taken off.
tell us more about the dead ones, were they shot?

Whiterock
10-25-2013, 08:32 PM
Be very careful around Douglas Lake ranch. They have trailcams out and will charge you with trespassing, if you are found on their property.

haber
10-25-2013, 09:20 PM
Was this on the Veasy FSR?

davet
10-25-2013, 09:23 PM
yes there were 3 down at the entrance and one up the road

Was this on the Veasy lake FSR?

haber
10-25-2013, 09:27 PM
Only saw 1 doe?! Wow that's crazy how far in did you go? The natives actually have an area gated and locked off up there but we turn off 10k before the gate. We were up there for a week beginning of October and our group of 5 got 5 bucks and an leh moose. The deer are up there but you have to go quite a ways before you're in prime area.

davet
10-25-2013, 09:33 PM
that would have been good to know before i went. I was climbing the hills and glassin the ridges as well as tones of walking up in the first valley to the right. heard lots of shots.
Only saw 1 doe?! Wow that's crazy how far in did you go? The natives actually have an area gated and locked off up there but we turn off 10k before the gate. We were up there for a week beginning of October and our group of 5 got 5 bucks and an leh moose. The deer are up there but you have to go quite a ways before you're in prime area.

haber
10-25-2013, 09:40 PM
Ya I've seen the odd deer down low close to the highway once you get 20k or so in there you're in prime country.

Richmond69er
10-26-2013, 05:05 PM
I'm planning on taking a trip up to Merritt this upcoming weekend (nov1) for a mulie, coming from Richmond.
any advice on a particular exit that may lead me to a good spot to set up camp? Or pretty much any info .. Feel free to send me a PM if you want!

thanks!

davet
10-26-2013, 08:20 PM
like ppl have said just hit any side rd and get out of the truck and do some walking. Thats what I plan to do.
I'm planning on taking a trip up to Merritt this upcoming weekend (nov1) for a mulie, coming from Richmond.
any advice on a particular exit that may lead me to a good spot to set up camp? Or pretty much any info .. Feel free to send me a PM if you want!

thanks!

139grainsofhell
10-26-2013, 09:23 PM

thanks!
take a left on mule deer lane then your next right down big buck alley and there will be a 5 point monster standing there . If that don't wrk I hear van island holds the biggest deer in the province!! And lots of them.

HeadingOutside
10-26-2013, 09:43 PM
Instead of crapping on somebody for asking a question, if you have nothing constructive to add then say nothing?? Perhaps informing the person that there is no exact spot that you know of and telling them general hunting tactics may be more helpful. I dunno, might just be me though... I'm new to this forum

Devon

r106
10-26-2013, 10:02 PM
Instead of crapping on somebody for asking a question, if you have nothing constructive to add then say nothing?? Perhaps informing the person that there is no exact spot that you know of and telling them general hunting tactics may be more helpful. I dunno, might just be me though... I'm new to this forum

Devon

Instead of bitching about him not helping why don't you? and I'm sure what he posted was a joke

itsy bitsy xj
10-26-2013, 10:16 PM
Instead of bitching about him not helping why don't you? and I'm sure what he posted was a joke

I agree with what HeadingOutside said, to many people making jokes out of serious questions. And now that this thread is almost fully derailed lets carry on

r106
10-26-2013, 10:35 PM
I agree with what HeadingOutside said, to many people making jokes out of serious questions. And now that this thread is almost fully derailed lets carry on

I don't consider " I want to hunt around Merrit, where should I go " a serious question. It's lazy. Everyone here will help new hunters out as I know, I was one not long ago and got lots of help from people here. But for god sake don't expect people to just tell you areas to go that took them countless hours and $$ to find. All because they don't want to waist there own time.

Rant over

139grainsofhell
10-26-2013, 10:40 PM

Devon
Yes it was a joke but I guess there's few super sensitive guys on this site that can't handle an innocent comment like mule deer lane. No joking around on the site any more fellas.. Seriousness only.

shadowhunter
10-26-2013, 10:48 PM

thanks!

I don't consider " I want to hunt around Merrit, where should I go " a serious question. It's lazy. Everyone here will help new hunters out as I know, I was one not long ago and got lots of help from people here. But for god sake don't expect people to just tell you areas to go that took them countless hours and $$ to find. All because they don't want to waist there own time.

Rant over

I agree with this. I have no problem pointing someone in the right direction, but I'm not gonna give directions to honey holes where I've been scouting all year. Also a quick use of the search function can go a long way. You can't just come on her expecting people to put you on top of deer that they have worked hard to find. I'm a new hunter as well who has asked members of this forum for some ideas too but general locations, listing exits is Jelvis's job.

HeadingOutside
10-26-2013, 11:11 PM
Yes it was a joke but I guess there's few super sensitive guys on this site that can't handle an innocent comment like mule deer lane. No joking around on the site any more fellas.. Seriousness only.

I recognized the joke. Haha, funny stuff. I was just wondering if it was necessary is all. Maybe when I see these things my sensitive side forces me to call it out. I don't know. I should probably contact my on-call therapist. :wink:

But in all Seriousness, it wasn't an attack or anything my friend. He was only asking about the general area, not specifics if you go back to read the original post. I don't see the reason to post that but I am more than willing to be enlightened. You are welcome to PM.
Seeing as though this has nothing to do with the OP's topic I am bowing out of this thread. It may be in the process of a hijack for which I am to blame.

Take care,
Devon

Kudu
10-27-2013, 06:59 AM
I recognized the joke. Haha, funny stuff. I was just wondering if it was necessary is all. Maybe when I see these things my sensitive side forces me to call it out. I don't know. I should probably contact my on-call therapist. :wink:

But in all Seriousness, it wasn't an attack or anything my friend. He was only asking about the general area, not specifics if you go back to read the original post. I don't see the reason to post that but I am more than willing to be enlightened. You are welcome to PM.
Seeing as though this has nothing to do with the OP's topic I am bowing out of this thread. It may be in the process of a hijack for which I am to blame.

Take care,
Devon

I can see you are going to do well on this forum! :mrgreen:

brutus
10-27-2013, 07:50 AM
take a left on mule deer lane then your next right down big buck alley and there will be a 5 point monster standing there . If that don't wrk I hear van island holds the biggest deer in the province!! And lots of them.lmao funny.i will had to this quote,the area holds deer period and lots of them every where and anywhere hit the bush and hunt you will see deer no real science,lots of others hunters so away from the roads is a good start,ridges and back end of slash with timber is where i get my deer and dont forget away from the roads.good luck and remember its called hunting not killing:mrgreen:

davet
10-27-2013, 08:52 AM
SO this was my original post and i asked a decent question, with some other questions added. I have no problem with that, I dont even have a problem with Richmond69er asking a similar question in my post, But what I do have a problem with is fellow hunters being asses, if your going to be an ass im sure there is some farm forum around.
Dont wreck my post with a stupid comment. I find this happens a lot on this site.