PDA

View Full Version : First bull moose I've ever seen, and it's in my freezer!

NitwiT
10-25-2013, 02:46 PM
Hey all, some of you know me, most of you don't, but I've had some success road hunting mule deer. Have strived to learn more about tracking/stalking/hunting, however wife and kids prevent me from getting out as much as I'd like. Once again, here's another story of a road hunting adventure, despite my best efforts to hunt on foot.

It all started with the arrival of an LEH Shared Group Hunt for my co-worker Tom and myself. We had won a draw for 7-13, a region just north of Vanderhoof. Knowing absolutely nothing about moose hunting, other than that they were big and liked swamps, I had applied for this region as I had a friend who lived in town and had offered to let us stay with him. (Awesome!)

Originally we had elected to take three weeks off work and head up to the 'hoof for Oct 1st to Oct 20th, and were planning on knocking down a couple deer while searching for our moose. Due to issues at work, we were forced to change our plans, and took off on Oct 14th, planning to stay out till we had meat, or the 30th rolled around.

Oct 14th saw my truck all loaded up, left home at 10am, said goodbye to wife and kids, and departed. I picked up my buddy in Langley, and we began our long fuel-inefficient commute to Vanderhoof.

Around 830 pm, we rolled into town, and in true country fashion, were immediately invited in for Thanksgiving dinner. (Gotta love country ways!)

Next morning, it was out the door 6 am, and we went to explore the Blue Mountain area, as some local knowledge suggested that was our best odds. Things got exciting right off the bat went at around 710 we spotted a moose in a clearing, everytime the moose faced us we saw white. We bailed out of the truck, loaded rifles, and picked a spot only to figure out that the moose had a white face, and white haunch, but was a cow. Excited to have seen a moose already, we jumped into the truck and continued to recon. We rolled our way down the way the moose had headed, and the way she had come, but sign was limited.

http://i1356.photobucket.com/albums/q722/NitwiT83/IMG_2058_zps58b6d537.jpg (http://s1356.photobucket.com/user/NitwiT83/media/IMG_2058_zps58b6d537.jpg.html)

We spent a long day, mostly in the truck, lots of bino use, but saw nothing else that day. The bush was thick with cottonwood, and hard to move into.

End of the day we headed home, and just before the end of shooting light, I killed a grouse with the bumper of the truck. First kill in Vanderhoof!!

Next day we were up early again, and headed back to where we saw the cow. Nothing in sight, we had looked at maps the night before and found a meadow she may have come from, that appeared remote to the dirt roads. Unfortunately, my brand new backroads mapbook, GPS, and google earth were all outdated. We basically drove nearly into that meadow. It had a pile of resident geese on the water, and heavy track around the meadow. We sat for a while, then continued to recon.

End of the day saw us returning, when we saw a cow moose on the side of another big clearing. As we got out of the truck, a calf materialized and vanished as fast as can be. Calf being open, we loaded up and tried to intercept them in the ravine they headed into, however the going was ridiculous, and we sounded like Brontosaurus's in our effort the track them down.

Back to the truck, and down to town, running into a few deer in an alfalfa field with an open gate. There was a two point buck at the far end, 500 yds est??. However not sure on the legalities of that field, we didn't chase him down. It was at this point that I realized my magazine for my Sako A7 was missing. S.O.B. Reflecting on the day, I remembered that after we went after the calf, and returned to the truck, and I put my pack, GPS, binos, and rifle in the cab, and put the mag on my toolbox. That was the last I had seen it.

Headed back to that area in the dark, no sign of the mag any where, bummed about losing three rounds of my 168 gr Barnes TTSX, but even more bummed at having to try find a replacement mag into, yeah right!

Headed back to town when I realized I had even heared it fall off the box as I braked for some puddles, swearing at myself for not getting out to check what that loud clunk was, I jumped out of the truck and checked the back. In between the box, and the cab, on a pile of leaves on the metal support connecting the two, sat the magazine for my Sako A7. So jacked I refused to drive for about 30 minutes.........

Back to town and to bed after more research, and driving my buddy nuts with attempts at cow calls.

Back out at first light, headed straight to the meadow and sat and called for a while. Nothing doing, we drove through the areas we had seen the meese (sp?) with no luck.

Hit town around lunch for lunch, and popped in at Omenica Sports in Vanderhoof. They directed us to the same area we had been in, and mentioned trying Striegler as well as Blue Mountain FSR. We had been focussed on Striegler.

Headed out after lunch, shot a grouse, saw one mule doe just outside of town, but that was it.

Day four arrives, and we had decided to try knock down a mule or two, as the any buck season was ending on the 19th. We headed down to Kenny Dam and Bobtail FSR in regards to some intel and PM's I had received (thanks ) however despite our best efforts we drove 350 km and put 15 km on our boots with little effect. We found one large black bear, however my wife is not a fan of the processing of a bear, and we let it walk. Killed three grouse, and on the way home nearly ran over another cow moose, but we had gone into region 6 at this point, and moose was not open, so we departed with no efforts at chasing.

Day five arrives, and we had no decided to focus only on moose, and to hell with deer, as Vanderhoof didn't have any. We departed at 6am, and drove to Blue Mountain FSR. I had picked out another couple meadow/swamps that ran through the area and were part of the drainage system for several of the lakes up there. We set up shop at the first meadow, approximately 0.8 miles in, and placed ourselves with the wind in our favor. Cow calls and vigilance resulted in nothing, and back to the truck. Lots of moose sign in and out of the area, and seemed promising. Picked a second meadow a little more remote, and required some pushing through swamp and cottonwood to get to. Track on the ground, bark eaten from trees somewhat recently, as well as moose poop had our excitement up. We found a hillside bordering the swamp and set up with a good vantage point and the wind in our face to call. Two hours passed and we headed back empty handed and hungry. We ate while driving, and headed towards a meadow off the Omenica Trail. Pushed into the bush there to a large meadow, however this one was dryer then the last, and where we set up, we could see most of the meadow, but on the way out we noted that there was only a small part in apparent use by meese.

http://i1356.photobucket.com/albums/q722/NitwiT83/IMG_2071_zpsfb9b30f3.jpg (http://s1356.photobucket.com/user/NitwiT83/media/IMG_2071_zpsfb9b30f3.jpg.html)

Back to the truck, it was around 3:25 pm, and we were disappointed at that lack of seeing moose. I chose to drive down to a small lake not to far away, with considerable apparent meadow/swamp around it. We drove down the trail, and just as we rounded a small bend, we saw... as my buddy put it.. "a horse without a cowboy". Logic tells us that must be a moose. We bailed out of the truck, loading my Sako A7 in .300 WM as I exit. Line the rifle up on the moose and see antlers. My heart rate through the roof. I fail to commicate any of this to my buddy, but he has already seen it with his naked eye. Tom calls the range at 150 yards, which for my gun is peanuts, and I went prone and hold steady on the back of the head, trying a shoot over his back to take him clean. Boom gun roars out and Tom takes off running down the hill, loading his .45-70 Marlin on the fly. About 40 yards down the road (hes fast), he realizes the moose is unaffected and yells, "shoot him again", as he does a combat dive off the road. Seeing him well clear, I move left to just make sure, and sit down, using my knees at 90 degrees as rests for my elbows. The moose has turned to us, and I touch one off at the base of his neck, trying to avoid the shoulders. Tom takes off running again, and when he was about 100 yards out, stopped and lined up with his .45-70, touching one off. Immediately after, the moose's rear end collapses, and he looks skyward, as he rolls down onto his back.

Cont.....

NitwiT
10-25-2013, 02:46 PM
As the celebrations commence, I'm confident that there was not a single animal remaining in the sorrounding 10 square kms as we yelled and cheered and high fived. I ran out of words at somepoint, however this did not daunt me, and I continued to yell.

We ran down the road full tilt, and came down to find the moose lying on his side, with his rear legs thrashing in his death throes.

Tom wished to shoot him again, but I could see that the eye was unfocused and unmoving, and that the animal was clearly no longer with us. We had harvested a nice young 5x7 moose. So happy!

More cheering, and more yelling, and then the long job of photographs and packing him into the truck began.

http://i1356.photobucket.com/albums/q722/NitwiT83/IMG_2084_zpsd9b96959.jpg (http://s1356.photobucket.com/user/NitwiT83/media/IMG_2084_zpsd9b96959.jpg.html)

I went back to the truck, which was still running at the top of the hill, and brought it down. I cut my tag before my hands got bloody, and filled out our LEH forms. We used the truck to tow the moose around so his head was uphill, then tied off one side of legs to trees that spread them in a manner in which we could work. I got a little OCD at this point, and basically refused to let Tom help cut, as he tends to be more hack and slash productivity, and I prefer doing things slower and clean. We opened up the ribcage, and I nearly climbed inside, pulling out his massive stomach and organs. Keep in mind I have never done anything bigger than a two pt mule. I located my Barnes TTSX resting on top of his stomach, and found the blue plastic tip imbedded in the meat on the far side of the animal. I found a half of a lung, and the heart was a bloody pulp. At least I think it was, as I’m not so great at the organ identification, and when its destroyed, its really hard to tell what it was. It looks like my Barnes ripped through the inside of his shoulder, and broke ribs one and two, then deflected? Inside the cavity and blew out a lung and the heart. Toms .45 never hit, as well as my first round. The moose actually expired right after Toms shot.

I easily removed the head with a hack saw, and the legs above the knees, (excited and still green around the ears). Anyone reading this, leave the bloody knees on, you need the tendons above them to hang….. We elected to cut the moose into halves, and wrapped each half into a tarp. With a considerable amount of effort, we hauled each half into the truck, loaded the head on, and headed back to town. My ‘hoof buddy gave us a hand quartering the halves, and we hung them in a meat shed to cool for the night.
Next day we loaded up the quarters into game bags, put them in the truck, and headed for home.

http://i1356.photobucket.com/albums/q722/NitwiT83/IMG_2092_zpse091beb7.jpg (http://s1356.photobucket.com/user/NitwiT83/media/IMG_2092_zpse091beb7.jpg.html)

http://i1356.photobucket.com/albums/q722/NitwiT83/IMG_2091_zps9e178edb.jpg (http://s1356.photobucket.com/user/NitwiT83/media/IMG_2091_zps9e178edb.jpg.html)

Tom elected to take on quarter, and leave me three, as well as the head. I really have no complaints there, as he still paid 50% expenses :S. It took me around 24 hours to have the three quarters de-boned, and cut into piles of steak and roasts, with a bunch of cutoffs for ground moose. Exhausted when it was done, but we had some friends come by and give us a hand. Seriously considering a butcher next time, but YOLO right??
XD Mark

NitwiT
10-25-2013, 02:47 PM
sorry, apparently I write lots....

ru rancher
10-25-2013, 02:52 PM
thats awesome thanks for shairing

Hank Hunter
10-25-2013, 02:54 PM
Congrats. good story and a nice young bull. Tasty treats :-D

Ltbullken
10-25-2013, 03:01 PM
Got to like putting a big animal down and filling the freezer. Congrats!

Moe.JKU
10-25-2013, 04:02 PM
I to had the experience of climbing into a moose for the first time this year as well. It was the first big game animal gutting experience. My friend told me now that i got that out of the way all the deer seem to be easy.
Congrats on the bull.

4 point
10-25-2013, 04:06 PM
Great story and good moose for you guys.

Blainer
10-25-2013, 04:19 PM
Great share!
Good persistence!
I would have powered thru the shoulders, bigger target, but all ended with same result.

xfactor
10-25-2013, 04:19 PM
Wow, you can take something for the verbal diarrhea:). J/k

Congrats buddy you earned it!!

BuckNaked
10-25-2013, 04:41 PM
Great story and great moose!

brutus
10-25-2013, 04:43 PM
awsome job,i wish i could off shot the first one i ever seen lol

buckshot
10-25-2013, 06:15 PM
Way to giter done boys!

nature girl
10-25-2013, 06:37 PM
Congradulations on your moose and to cut it up yourself way to go. Oh by the way thats cool a real dirty truck.

Cookie1965
10-25-2013, 06:38 PM
Great story, thanks for sharing and congrats!

Sitkaspruce
10-25-2013, 09:32 PM
Congrats on the moose!!! Awesome story and thanks for sharing it with us!!!

So, is their a conflict between the Buckmark on your truck and the Sako you shoot.....:wink:

Congrats again for the story!!

Cheers

SS

BiG Boar
10-25-2013, 09:59 PM
good work mark on whacking a big bull moose! I'm proud of you being able to fill your first moose tag, its no easy feat for someone with no one to really show them all the ropes! Congrats big time man!

buckguy
10-25-2013, 10:25 PM
Thanks for sharing. Nice bull.

srthomas75
10-25-2013, 10:30 PM
well done, thanks for the story on it too.

mungojeerie
10-26-2013, 12:44 AM
Way to go Mark! Very awesome buddy!

Elkaddict
10-26-2013, 11:04 AM
Congratulations Mark! When you keep at 'er it's just a matter of time. Awesome job.

kennyj
10-26-2013, 12:58 PM
Great story, great moose.
kenny

evilginger
10-26-2013, 06:55 PM
Thanks for sharing! Well done!

sparkes3
10-27-2013, 08:00 AM
good moose,great story, congrats on the good eats.
1 moose
5 moose
30 moose

no mooses or meece in these woods.

Hillbros_96
10-27-2013, 11:00 AM
Great story and congrats to the end of a good hunt.