PDA

View Full Version : Tactics

PointMan
10-25-2013, 12:21 PM
I'm looking to change my hunting tactics, specifically for whitetail. Hoping it will help me improve my success rate, as I'm still waiting to cut my first wt buck tag. Usually I spot and stalk, walk cut blocks and a little road hunting. All these techniques work fine for mile deer, but so far has only gotten me a couple of wt does.

Right now I'm trying my hand at still hunting. I've found a decent spot that has lots of fresh sign, isn't accessible by truck, it's either a long hike (that's how I get here), or by atv. There are three spots I like for sitting, each with different merits. One has lots of sign, but poor visibility past 30 yards; the second has lots of visibility but not a huge amount of fresh sign; and finally, the third spot has decent visibility down a narrow ridge top, but wind direction is a huge concern because of that.

Any tips or suggestions on how to pick the best spot and tactics to draw the deer in?

Jelvis
10-25-2013, 01:08 PM
Hunt in proven whitetail spots that have been hunted by experienced whitetail hunters over the decades.
Look up on hbc the whitetail success areas and hunt those ones.
Unless you have your own spot in a place not really known as super whitetail hunting and is closer to home.
Sometimes under powerlines off the main roads are pretty good for still hunting along the edges.
Good luck whitetail hunter
Jelly Tail

brutus
10-25-2013, 01:56 PM
find a good area with lots of sign and still hunt,dont move dont make any noise and be patient you will get a whity

Mikey Rafiki
10-25-2013, 02:00 PM
Completely different ball game early season compared to late season. By now there may be more movement, but mostly pre-rut. Might have some luck rattling and/or grunting if your looking for a mature buck in an area where there will be some competition among them.

I typically save my whitey hunting for the rut when there dull wits give you a better chance. Other than that you are patterning there movements and trying to catch them on the way to and from food or bedding areas.

I have often hunted a couple hundred yards off of busy FSR's watching road hunters drive by all the whiteys that learn to keep a safe distance.

mikeman20
10-25-2013, 02:27 PM
I'm no expert but if I were you I would try rattling and hunting in one of your areas

Wild one
10-25-2013, 05:03 PM
There is a reason most of North America hunts WT using tree stands and blinds it works. Yes, they can be taken other ways as well but sitting in the right area trumps other methods. WT are creatures of habit more so than other deer species

For some reason these methods are under utilized here in BC

boxhitch
10-25-2013, 07:43 PM
I'm not so sure the WT s are such creatures of habit as the pressured , constricted eastern deer most shows depict.
The WT deer around this area do move from feeding to bedding , maybe a smaller area than MD , but they have lots of room to roam so routes are harder to define.
Spend enough time sitting and watching quietly and you can learn what an area has for potential , but it takes repeated visits.

Lillypuff
10-25-2013, 07:55 PM
si sit and sit some more

HarryToolips
10-25-2013, 08:10 PM
I'm looking to change my hunting tactics, specifically for whitetail. Hoping it will help me improve my success rate, as I'm still waiting to cut my first wt buck tag. Usually I spot and stalk, walk cut blocks and a little road hunting. All these techniques work fine for mile deer, but so far has only gotten me a couple of wt does.

Right now I'm trying my hand at still hunting. I've found a decent spot that has lots of fresh sign, isn't accessible by truck, it's either a long hike (that's how I get here), or by atv. There are three spots I like for sitting, each with different merits. One has lots of sign, but poor visibility past 30 yards; the second has lots of visibility but not a huge amount of fresh sign; and finally, the third spot has decent visibility down a narrow ridge top, but wind direction is a huge concern because of that.

Any tips or suggestions on how to pick the best spot and tactics to draw the deer in?
Sounds like your on the right track..I have a spot where the wind direction is always crap, but because I am above them and my back is against a boulder face, somehow, the spot worked..wind direction was blowin toward them but I was pinned against the rock and surprisingly it worked the does didn't detect me and I nailed a 4 pt whitey..

Wild one
10-26-2013, 10:24 AM
I'm not so sure the WT s are such creatures of habit as the pressured , constricted eastern deer most shows depict.
The WT deer around this area do move from feeding to bedding , maybe a smaller area than MD , but they have lots of room to roam so routes are harder to define.
Spend enough time sitting and watching quietly and you can learn what an area has for potential , but it takes repeated visits.

In my opinion WT in both BC and Alberta are creatures of habit. 1 thing that I find different is snow levels in the mountains do cause the WT to migrate to lower elevation. I do agree big bush country WT are harder to pattern then farmland deer but this is the case country wide.

In my opinion when it comes to WT if you pick the right location it is better to wait them out. I hate sitting and will force my self to do it because of the results.

I don't doubt there are areas where it is less effective and can see areas with lower WT population being tougher

Tuffcity
10-26-2013, 12:08 PM
In about another 3 weeks you should start finding rub lines and the start of scrapes. These will be your best indicators of where to hang a stand or put a blind. Then tremendous patience pays off. ie: sit in one from pre-dawn to evening dark. It might take a day or it might take 5 but you will see a decent buck. Rattling right now is probably a waste of time- might get a curious one in but too soon for a territory/hot doe battle.

Last couple of weeks in November have always been the best producers for us when hunting the north Okanagan.

Last years late November bucks- tree stand and patience. :)

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a20/Tuffcity/Sugar%20Lake%20Whitetail%202012/deeronquad-sm_zps8b43ad2a.jpg

RC