PDA

View Full Version : 1st Moose Kill!

Wood Nymph
10-25-2013, 11:46 AM
A moose walks into a bar and orders a beer. The bartender asks his boss "What should I do?" The boss says "Serve it to him. Moose aren't too bright so charge him $20" The bartender did as he was told and as the moose reached for his wallet he asked the bartender "What are you staring at?" "We don't get many moose in here" replied the bartender. "Well" said the moose "at these prices I'm not surprised!"

My hubby and I decided to check out a new area for Mule deer and
White Tail hunting…. we saw a flash one one white tail but in a no
shooting zone on the way in, then a couple cows across a lagoon…..
...no 2 moose sparring on the opposite side of a lagoon!!!

We watched a huge 8 point spar and try to hump a little spiker for about 20 mins until they spotted us, and stood still.
As we were in a new area we didn't know what the regs were for moose, so continued on with our deer hunting.
Later on we got cell service on higher ground and googled the area where we saw the moose to find that it was indeed legal!
But we realized being so late in the day, and without a boat it would take hours to round up some help as well we would be caught in the dark, so we decided to go back the next morning.

We got there for first light and glassed the area for about 10 mins or so until a cow moose materialized out of the scrub. We watched her feed and cross the lagoon to the road side. She made allot of noise eating and shaking the water off her coat a few times.
Something more important than us ( as she did see us but didn't react) kept her watching and sniffing up the slope.

Finally she turned around headed back for the far side of the pond letting out echoing bellows as she went! She left the water and disappeared into the thick bush. When she popped out into the clearing she was followed by her calf AND the spiker 2 pt immature we were hoping to see again from the day before!

Anyways, after a sure ID I brought him down with a bullet which broke his backbone, then paddled across in my chest waders and tiny whitewater kayak to make sure everything was good to go.

Then the process of getting the beast out!
I dragged the 80 lb quarters across the field, partway thru a swamp over logs etc to a hand off spot where my man humped the quarters over his shoulder trudging through more swamp, and up a hill to the truck!!! It took us 3 1/2 hours and a whole lotta sweat to get him out!http://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag30/woodnymphdesigns/MoosePost180Dpi_1249_zps49127c87.jpg (http://s1297.photobucket.com/user/woodnymphdesigns/media/MoosePost180Dpi_1249_zps49127c87.jpg.html)

KB90
10-25-2013, 11:54 AM
Congratulations on your first Moose!

Download the "Hunt Buddy App" for your phone! Great tool. Tells you whats open for where you are and much more!

10-25-2013, 12:13 PM
They taste better when you earn them! Dont worry your work is all worth it!

Rob Chipman
10-25-2013, 12:16 PM
Nice work! There's nothing like packing a bull to the truck to impress how big a moose is.

pnbrock
10-25-2013, 12:33 PM
Nice moose. Is wood nymph a slang for something?

Rackem
10-25-2013, 12:34 PM
Congratulations Wood Nymph! Good eating, every bite will now have extra value in sweat equity!

Rackem
10-25-2013, 12:37 PM
A dryad is a wood or tree nymph, that is a female spirit of a tree....nice images if you google it.. :)

MooseKnuckle
10-25-2013, 12:38 PM
Sweet!!!!! Awesome moose, great job!!

ElliotMoose
10-25-2013, 12:57 PM
Doesn't get much tastier than that! Good work

swampdonkey
10-25-2013, 01:01 PM
Congrats you have had a good week . What region you hunting

Jelvis
10-25-2013, 01:16 PM
That's a big headed moose for a two point eh? Must be by Prince George?
Thanks for the write up and photo
Jelwood

brutus
10-25-2013, 01:53 PM
good job,nice moose good eats for a while

Blainer
10-25-2013, 01:54 PM
Great share of a great hunt!

16ga
10-25-2013, 02:00 PM
Congrats, waders are tough to bushwack in.

Sitkaspruce
10-25-2013, 08:45 PM
Nice job!!!

Congrats on the moose!!!

You are having a good season so far!!

Cheers

SS

Hombre
10-25-2013, 10:10 PM
Congrats on a great season so far! You need to change your name to the headless Nymph though.LOL:-D