PDA

View Full Version : Day Hunts in Pemberton or Harrison

riiaction
10-25-2013, 12:18 AM
New hunter eyeing up my first year out, so please forgive the newbie question. I'm wondering about some one day hunts either up Pemberton way or out toward Harrison. Is it realistic to hope to be able to be able to at least have a chance at filling a tag without putting a few days effort in around those areas? I don't have a lot of free time this year, but still want to get out and put what time I do have on the ground. Any thoughts/advice appreciated.

GoodPartner
10-25-2013, 01:27 AM
I am pretty new also. I don't hunt in Pemberton or Harrison but the only way ever to have a chance to fill a tag anywhere is to go for it! I don't think the question about if it is realistic to expect to fill a tag there is the right one to start with. You could walk right into one the first time you go out, or it might be years before you connect.http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?100340-What-s-your-longest-hunting-drought Generally hunting is something that takes a lot of time and knowledge of where and what you hunt. In my personal experiences, and it seems that of many others, it is a pursuit that is pretty hard on the newcomer.I think the first question needs to be "what are my expectations for a successful hunt?" (maybe you have already done this). Previously when I dabbled in hunting I thought my success would be based on finding a good location to shoot an animal. That still holds true but I am at a point now where I know that the most control I have in achieving success will be in the managment of my own expectations. If I were to base my success on filling a tag then all most all of my hunts would be unsuccessful. To date, since my perspective has shifted, I have never had an unsuccesful hunt. I have always enjoyed myself and I feel like I learn something every time I go out. I'm assuming that trips out to Harrison and Pemberton involve time and money for you. That's a big investment depending on how you look at it. So exercising your control over how you look at it becomes very important. If I were you, I would research as much as possible (use the advance search function on this site) and just go for it as much as you can. More likely than not you will not fill a tag right away...but you never will if you don't go...and there is always a chance. Wether you do fill a tag or not you will have the opportunity to hike around in one of the most beautiful places in the world and pay attention to how you are doing it in a whole new intense and deliberate way. To me that is what it is all about. Good luck in your hunting season!-GP

BiG Boar
10-25-2013, 06:59 AM
If you want to be successful, learn as much as you can on here before you go out. Ask lots of questions, and try to gain an advantage with knowledge before you go out. You could try blind luck and just show up and shoot something, but that is very unlikely. Here are things I would do:

Try to find a partner on here who has more experience than you. Lots of guys looking for partners in the wanted section on here. Even just to split gas sometimes.

Try to find out what they eat, where they like to live, and what their daily habbits are.

Find out when the rut is, and how to use it effectivley.

Try to learn as much about the species in pursuit as possible. Any edge you can gain will help turn a trip from zero deer seen, to meat in the freezer.

It is not realistic to show up for one day with no knowledge and hope to fill a tag. Don't get me wrong, there is a chance, but fairly unlikely. The areas closer to the big smoke get pounded pretty good. You've got to figure out how to beat your competition.

ClemShady
10-25-2013, 07:29 AM
Bucks are still high up and will be for the most part until we get some snow. Right around treeline is a good start. So you need to find a way to get started high, ideally with some 4x4 wheels help to get you up. Google Earth the surrounding valleys and FSRs and you will see which ones can provide you with access to the high ground. Then bring your hiking boots and go for it!

riiaction
10-25-2013, 08:31 AM
Thanks for the replies all! Some good perspective there - also some great advice concerning finding partners in the wanted section on here. I'll keep scouting and researching.

bandit
10-25-2013, 08:34 AM
If you insist on pemberton or Harrison then your hunting black tails in thick timber. Not easy. Pick a spot and make it urs. Scout it over the winter spring and summer to find out where the pockets of deer are.

I learned the hard way that the most productive 1 day hunts in the LM are for ducks n geese. Hunting in 3 or 8 is much easier and can still be done in a day (at a push)

Black Bird
10-25-2013, 05:02 PM
I am pretty new also. I don't hunt in Pemberton or Harrison but the only way ever to have a chance to fill a tag anywhere is to go for it! I don't think the question about if it is realistic to expect to fill a tag there is the right one to start with. You could walk right into one the first time you go out, or it might be years before you connect.http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?100340-What-s-your-longest-hunting-drought Generally hunting is something that takes a lot of time and knowledge of where and what you hunt. In my personal experiences, and it seems that of many others, it is a pursuit that is pretty hard on the newcomer.I think the first question needs to be "what are my expectations for a successful hunt?" (maybe you have already done this). Previously when I dabbled in hunting I thought my success would be based on finding a good location to shoot an animal. That still holds true but I am at a point now where I know that the most control I have in achieving success will be in the managment of my own expectations. If I were to base my success on filling a tag then all most all of my hunts would be unsuccessful. To date, since my perspective has shifted, I have never had an unsuccesful hunt. I have always enjoyed myself and I feel like I learn something every time I go out. I'm assuming that trips out to Harrison and Pemberton involve time and money for you. That's a big investment depending on how you look at it. So exercising your control over how you look at it becomes very important. If I were you, I would research as much as possible (use the advance search function on this site) and just go for it as much as you can. More likely than not you will not fill a tag right away...but you never will if you don't go...and there is always a chance. Wether you do fill a tag or not you will have the opportunity to hike around in one of the most beautiful places in the world and pay attention to how you are doing it in a whole new intense and deliberate way. To me that is what it is all about. Good luck in your hunting season!-GP

Fantastic perspective! I went out last weekend with a new hunter. He and I had been out 2 years previously were we didn't see a deer. However, he still remembers the day like it was yesterday. We reflected that neither one of us can remember what happened 2 weekends ago, but a one day hunt 2 years ago is still fresh in our memories. I would argue that anything you do in the outdoors that involves you using all your senses will do that. This is one of the major reasons I love to hunt. In fact, I think I like scouting even better because I can do it without a pack on my back and just explore.

What a wonderful province we live in...

Good luck and good hunting!

Cheers,
BB