PDA

View Full Version : Retro Hunt 2013

barry6.5x55
10-24-2013, 10:06 PM
Took to the Caribou for my annual Thanksgiving deer hunt Zone 5-2-C , the great get away.
Hunted hard for the elusive buck and seen at least 30 does and about 5 cow moose or maybe
the same cow 5 times not exactly sure.

One night over Pilsners and Colt Sweets my partner and I were showing each other the back up
rifles mine a 30/30 Winchester his the 30/30 marlin both open sights and we decided tomorrow
lets Go Retro ...so we did. The next morning we headed out but it felt strange leaving behind the
scoped high powered rifles and swapping them out for this 1800' s patent equivalent , like driving
now without a seat belt on, sure you can do it but shouldn't. The gun and shells felt so puny hahaha
anyway as the day pressed on I would raise her up to shoulder and it was like I was 15 again and
and boulders and stumps were charging bears or lions.

The day passed and with light fading we were driving out and out stepped a doe and OMG ....
a spiker was right with her . We both bailed out with deadly intent my partner threw up his Marlin
and let the hammer fall... the safety was on and the metal click sounded like thunder and I had no
shot from my side... spiker to his credit recognized the bedlam for what it was and hit the forest
like he was Secretariat.

In the end after 6 days hunting I did not fill my tag but seen lots of game including a monster buck the
first day but I'm happy with the attempt. What I luv about the deer hunt is the time spent in the bush
in autumn , sharing it with my friends and the 20 - 30 seconds of controlled chaos that is offered up to
to one when a buck does present itself ,,I crave it and will go back until I'm to old to function.

NovemberBravo
10-25-2013, 11:55 AM
Forgetting your safety ismon absolutly sucks! I missed an elk beacuse of that.

Still sounds like a great hunt and good to take the old guns out too.

monasheemountainman
10-25-2013, 12:03 PM
your a good writer haha I enjoyed that story...too bad theres no pics of dead things!

calvin L
10-25-2013, 12:15 PM
That is what hunting is all about . We tend to loose that with the race for large scoring animals . A very successful hunt even with out a kill . Thanks for sharing

Hightest
10-25-2013, 05:05 PM
That is what hunting is all about . We tend to l
ose that with the race for large scoring animals . A very successful hunt even with out a kill . Thanks for sharing

My thoughts exactly!

BCKyle
10-26-2013, 09:23 AM
Amen. You're talking some truth with this story.

BCKyle
10-26-2013, 09:27 AM
Actually this just reminded me: hanging out talking with my grandfather the other day. He's getting pretty heavy alzheimer's so I tend to have the same conversation with him a lot, but at one point hunting came up and I mentioned I hadn't seen any deer the day before when I was out. He asked if I was hunting much and I said as much as I could; he asked what kind of gun I was using, and I told him 'an old winchester 30-30' and he grinned and said, 'that'll do it alright. a nice gun, a helluva gun.'

Gotta dust those babies off sometimes!

thepitchedlink
10-26-2013, 03:39 PM
Haha, funny. I was just on a moose trip and carry my m94 in 356 win as back up, with receiver sight....any way we got to BSing on the last night about guns and how levers where cool, but we never carry them. So next day I decide to carry the 94, and BOOM!, an hour after sun up I wacked my first deer with iron sights in a long time. Super fun. I have no trouble at all killing paper plates at 100y with that set up....a moose at 150 is fully in trouble. The other day at home here, is has been foggy as all hell every morning, so I took the 94 out again....I noticed that no matter how wet the gun got...the irons never fogged up:mrgreen:. I kinda liked that

ravensfoot
10-28-2013, 06:42 PM
Great experience. Thanks for sharing.