PDA

View Full Version : Letter to the Editor

mklaver
10-24-2013, 01:52 PM
This is a Letter to the Editor that was posted in the Peace Arch News this past Tuesday:

http://www.peacearchnews.com/opinion/letters/229134031.html

And here is my response - let's see if they print it:

Dear Editor,
I tire of the pervasive attitude than has crept quite deepinto society the past few years – the one that moved people to try to getanother’s hobby, pastime or activity banned if it is not in their own taste,style or desire. Mr. Lauder writes about how he is to explain to hisgrandchildren what is going on when they hear shotguns in the distance. Let mehelp him – “Well grandson/granddaughter, what is happening is what has beengoing on here for many generations – hunting of waterfowl. In fact, it has beengoing on here since the 1800’s and perhaps longer - much longer than I havelived here, and it will go on long after I am gone. It is a proud Canadiantradition that is passed down from generation to generation and in fact theremight be a Grandfather down there teaching his grandson or granddaughter thistradition.” We live on the Great Pacific Flyway where the waterfowl populationis extremely healthy and robust, numbering in the tens of millions, with farless than 1% being taken by hunters. Communities that do not allow hunting arenow overrun by Canada geese, destroying park land and making fields unusable.Ethical hunting is a safe and legitimate pastime for over a million Canadiansand has been a part of the fabric of Canada since there was a Canada. Anethical hunter is a conservationist, with the largest group that protectsbird habitat being Ducks Unlimited (which set aside the bird preserve inSerpentine Fen) which was established by waterfowl hunters and it’s payingmembers are hunters, primarily. I expect that if Mr. Lauder objects to the“slaughtering” of “defenceless birds”, that he is a vegetarian, not evenwearing leather shoes, gloves or jackets? The birds that die and wind up on mydinner table are hunted ethically, are killed quickly and have lived a freerange life, which is far more that can be said for any meat that objectors buyin the supermarket. In fact, The Vancouver Sun reported last hunting seasonthat the largest group of new hunters recently are vegetarians who stoppedeating meat for ethical reasons, but now turn to hunting as the animals theyhunt and eat have lived a free life and are ethically killed. Which brings meto my last point – if people in society keep trying to get activities bannedthat they find mildly annoying, if they try to get activities banned that theydo not particularly agree with or find a little distasteful, even though theycause them no harm, what are you going to do when they finally findsomething that you enjoy in their cross-hairs? You live your life and Iwill live mine.

Big Lew
10-24-2013, 02:06 PM
That's a commendable retort, but unfortunately most persons, like the one that sent the letter to the 'peacearchnews.com/opinion...229134031.html are too narrow-minded to entertain anyone's opinion but their own, and rather than dig into the actual facts and data to a situation, make their decisions and base their stance solely on emotion.

Buck
10-24-2013, 02:29 PM
Good letter thanks for taking the time to write it.Cheer's

10-24-2013, 02:33 PM
Good response. Thanks for your effort.

Interestingly, the pendulum is beginning to swing the other way, and I am amazed at the unlikley people that are now taking their CORE with an interest in providing safe, healthy, humane food for themeselves and their families.

f350ps
10-24-2013, 02:51 PM
A well worded rebuttal, good job! K

Dutch
10-24-2013, 03:24 PM
Well said, I could not stand it about ten years ago and wrote to the province which did print my letter ,the shoot back is a classic anti stance. It is laughable and shows the level of intelligence the writer truly has...

adriaticum
10-24-2013, 03:27 PM
Mild response but appreciated.

mklaver
10-24-2013, 03:33 PM
Anything stronger wouldn't likely get printed. :-D

GoatGuy
10-24-2013, 03:39 PM
Great job!!!!!!!!!!!

Blainer
10-24-2013, 04:04 PM
well written

Stone Sheep Steve
10-24-2013, 04:21 PM
I loved your approach! Well done!

SSS

Rackem
10-24-2013, 04:32 PM
They bitch about the Canada geese being too numerous and aggressive, attacking foofoo and pooping on the lawns in the parks...this is the perfect solution.

hare_assassin
10-24-2013, 05:00 PM
Anti-hunters who eat meat are the most narrow-minded hypocrits on this planet.

Good on you for taking the time to respond in such a measured, intelligent way. I really hope it gets published.

coach
10-24-2013, 05:11 PM
Exceptional letter. Well done!

Cookie1965
10-24-2013, 05:24 PM
Very well written, I particularly like the way you invoked "First they came..."

BuckNaked
10-24-2013, 05:50 PM
Sounds like Mr Lauder needs to watch a couple of videos on how commercial poultry are raised, then processed for the grocery store.

Foxton Gundogs
10-24-2013, 09:53 PM
Well done, great letter.

mklaver
11-04-2013, 06:34 PM
UPDATE - The Peace Arch News printed my letter in it's entirety and also another letter from another person who raised the good point that house cats kill more birds every year than hunters, albeit song birds and not waterfowl, but a bird is a bird. :-D

303Brit
11-04-2013, 06:57 PM
kudos to you sir for your efforts and the getting published I'm sure Mr. Lauder was grinding his teeth at the double rebuttal

Spy
11-04-2013, 07:40 PM
Good letter, even better that they included it. Well done & thank you. :-)

Phreddy
11-04-2013, 08:15 PM
Well done. Good for you.

BuckEye
11-04-2013, 08:33 PM
I've had two letters to the editor published in my tri city area in response to one squeaky grocery store meat eater. Feels good to have the other side published in a manner that most would understand even if they were non hunters. The cat killing birds aspect was icing on the cupcake.
Way to go..