PDA

View Full Version : Post Moose rut hunting

hopsing
10-24-2013, 10:50 AM
Showing a couple new hunters how to hunt. What are the best tips and strategies in hunting moose this time of the year. Is calling good... grunting or just cow call. Is it pretty well spot and stalk. What kind of habitat you recommend..

Thanks all! Main purpose is for them to have a good time. Sightings critters and learning is the big bonus. :-D

Ltbullken
10-24-2013, 10:56 AM
Look for prime quiet out of the way habitat where bulls are going to feed to get ready for winter. But second rut will (is, as in now) occur for cows that were not impregnated on the first rut. I've called in a bull in early Nov so calling still works.

hopsing
10-24-2013, 12:43 PM
Look for prime quiet out of the way habitat where bulls are going to feed to get ready for winter. But second rut will (is, as in now) occur for cows that were not impregnated on the first rut. I've called in a bull in early Nov so calling still works.

Hey thanks! Much appreciate the input :-D

Steelpulse
10-24-2013, 01:35 PM
For sure calling could work still, but for late season or post rut, I would think from my experience moose like out of the way places in new growth they hangout in that all day if you had a trail coming in and out of the thick stuff maybe sit on it a bit may get some early and late. In the day movement, with snow track em

ElliotMoose
10-24-2013, 02:04 PM
I wouldn't recommend bull grunts at this time of the year. The big boys have done their breeding and will hide in the thick cover to re-coop a little before they start winter foraging. Calling has still been effective for us at this time of year, but we always use cow calls and usually it's the curious younger bulls who haven't had a chance to breed that come in. A bull grunt may spook these guys away as they aren't looking for a fight. Meadows with willows surrounding the edges and bordered by thick timber have been the most productive for us. Snow is also a huge asset and makes things a lot easier. Have a fun hunt and be sure to take lots of pictures!!