PDA

View Full Version : LEH harvest rates

ru rancher
10-23-2013, 04:33 PM
So I always here people talk about the success rate of a leh and was wondering where to go to find these numbers and also just general success rates for game in areas?

GoatGuy
10-23-2013, 04:37 PM
Most people fabricate them.

General success by species per MU can be obtained through the harvest statistics. Probably have to request it through FOI or whatever it is called now.

boxhitch
10-23-2013, 06:20 PM
No specific info to LEH participation or success is collected.
One would think that would be good stuff for managers, to aid in setting permit numbers.

hare_assassin
10-23-2013, 06:29 PM
One would think that would be good stuff for managers, to aid in setting permit numbers.

Really? Then what was that online questionaire all about that my buddies and I filled out last year about our LEH moose(s)?

rides bike to work
10-23-2013, 06:35 PM
Bc out doors had a great break down of harvest rates by species region and hunter participation.

ru rancher
10-23-2013, 06:37 PM
rides is there any way someone can still find that?

GoatGuy
10-23-2013, 07:05 PM

It is collected through the hunter questionnaire, and can be back-doored through the database with species tag purchases as well. For non-CI species in areas with few LEH authorizations the results aren't the greatest but for high effort (IE moose LEH) things are generally pretty good.

boxhitch
10-23-2013, 09:14 PM
Really? Then what was that online questionaire all about that my buddies and I filled out last year about our LEH moose(s)?News to me , its been awhile without one. Something by the prov. or the region ?

hare_assassin
10-23-2013, 09:18 PM
News to me , its been awhile without one. Something by the prov. or the region ?

The province does the questionaire, but they include the region in the data collection, so they would have regional data...

Jelvis
10-23-2013, 09:22 PM
How the heck wood they know who gotta moose or antlerless muley deersky?
No one tells them except ones on Bring ins to the CO's like sheepsters.
The hunting gods threw up their hands and shrugged the shoulders on that one, haha Las Vegas won't put odds on it.
No body knows. Chuck Norris is scratching his head right now, whad? Hah
Get real it's impossible to tally with no telly

hare_assassin
10-23-2013, 09:31 PM
The hunting gods threw up their hands and shrugged the shoulders on that one, haha Las Vegas won't put odds on it.

So, you are saying my friends and I are the only ones who participated in the questionnaire?

Jelvis
10-23-2013, 09:49 PM
If you got a trophy mule deer, a monster buck 39 inches wide and 14 inch tines.
Wood you answer voluntary questions truthfully, like what was the name of the nearest known Land Mark that you got this new record buck Mr. Tell Everyone.
You woodn't even answer the phone when you saw the number on your lil phone window, lol, hahahahahahah.
Your thinkin I got it behind the shoulder on Zipper Mouth Mountain.

hare_assassin
10-24-2013, 07:49 AM
Yes. I answered the online LEH questionnaire honestly and completely, and I will continue to do so regardless of what it is that I harvest.

If it provides data for the management folks to better manage species, I am in. Not sure why anyone would have a problem with that unless "conservation" is not a part of why they hunt.

Anyone who fakes this questionnaire or does not participate has no reason to bitch about how the bios are all idiots, etc.

Gun Dog
10-24-2013, 10:14 AM
A few years ago I requested and received a giant Excel spreadsheet of harvest data. It was similar to what was printed in BC Outdoors a few years ago -- hunters, males, females, juveniles, by MU and it went back (in some MUs) to the 60s. It didn't have LEH specific data so it was up to you to figure it out. Interesting stuff. It's on my hard drive somewhere.

Why wouldn't you be honest about where you hunted and what you got?

The ministry sends out a random sampling of questionnaires and then estimates the actual numbers based on licenses and tags sold. I assume guide-outfitters have to provide exact data.

GoatGuy
10-24-2013, 10:38 AM
If you got a trophy mule deer, a monster buck 39 inches wide and 14 inch tines.
Wood you answer voluntary questions truthfully, like what was the name of the nearest known Land Mark that you got this new record buck Mr. Tell Everyone.
You woodn't even answer the phone when you saw the number on your lil phone window, lol, hahahahahahah.
Your thinkin I got it behind the shoulder on Zipper Mouth Mountain.

Jelvis, do you think the person in Victoria (who doesn't hunt) inputing data knows or cares that you killed a one of the 4700 mule deer which are harvested in Region 3? And that it was a 'monster'?

And if that person knows that you (one of 13,000 hunters in the region), killed one of 4,700 mule deer, and it was a monster, what is that NON-HUNTER going to do with that information?

Sell it on ebay?

That device on top of your shoulders isn't to be used exclusively for looks Jelvis.

GoatGuy
10-24-2013, 10:41 AM

The hunter harvest questionnaire takes care of all that.

You are turning into an anchor Jelvis.

GoatGuy
10-24-2013, 10:45 AM
So, you are saying my friends and I are the only ones who participated in the questionnaire?

There are tens of thousands of harvest questionnaires returned every year.

Jelvis is Mr.Misinformation. Consistently unreliable.

hare_assassin
10-24-2013, 10:54 AM
There are tens of thousands of harvest questionnaires returned every year.

Good to know. Thanks.

ru rancher
10-24-2013, 05:34 PM
okay then if you say they take down the harvest of sheep and they do that very percisly because i have bin there is there anyway to get that information?

GoatGuy
10-24-2013, 05:37 PM
okay then if you say they take down the harvest of sheep and they do that very percisly because i have bin there is there anyway to get that information?

yes, you can request the harvest at the MU or sub MU level. The regional manager should be able to provide that if you ask.

ru rancher
10-24-2013, 05:39 PM
so is that somehting i can go to a service BC building for or can i do it online?

Jelvis
10-24-2013, 05:47 PM
You can't get these official LEH numbers done because a very small amount of the total hunter numbers of people don't tell you sqwat, on the phone or returned letters and then you have the gall to say Indians should tell about every moose and animal they shoot, and expect to make Indians report every moose or animal they kill? When you can't get this done with hunter numbers and names and addresses.. Get real goat. imho your way out of it and just flappin and you know it.
Your living in an idealistic dream society lol
You know how many tags are sold but you have very little information on success, or fatally wounded animals or one's not found in the bush and some not even used.
mmmmm, what's wrong with this picture?
Jel .. and please don't think by running me down you look any better cus U don't
You look even weaker now on facts and figures by the last few posts you made.

GoatGuy
10-24-2013, 05:54 PM
so is that somehting i can go to a service BC building for or can i do it online?

gov.bc.ca, contacts, government employee, and search section head fish & wildlife

pick the one in the region you want

GoatGuy
10-24-2013, 06:04 PM
You can't get these official LEH numbers done because very few numbers of people don't tell you sqwat on the phone or returned letters and then you say Indians should tell about every moose and animal they shoot, and expect to make Indians report every moose or animal they kill? When you can't get this done with names and addresses.. Get real goat. imho your way out of it and just flappin and you know it.
Your living in an idealistic dream society lol
You know how many tags are sold but you have very little information on success, or fatally wounded animals or one's not found etc.
mmmmm, what's wrong with this picture?
Jel .. and please don't tell me who you think I am ok ...

Harvest reporting on several species (CId species) is required. Ie, legally you must take your sheep/goat/grizzly bear etc in to be inspected and include the number of days hunted. The unsuccessful are picked up through the sample.

Response rate after the second mailing is 60-70% on the hunter harvest questionnaire which provides good data at a higher level.

Responses at the mu and sub mu for small samples can be challenging, but people do receive them and fill them out.

Basic stuff.

Great to have opinions, better to have facts.

Jelvis
10-24-2013, 06:05 PM
Compulsary information sharing for all people with Hunter Numbers, who have a valid hunting license and who have bought tags for the season for to hunt any big game animal wood have to each report, after the season whether they got, what, and how many and which MU? Otherwise it's just a fools game with nothing close to true numbers.
And this ain't going to happen soon and we all realize that.
Drop pretending to be the official numbers man on game shot and killed please
You don't know how many, not even close, no one knows.not even you lol
Dream Weaver -- barkin up the wrong tree.

GoatGuy
10-24-2013, 06:13 PM
Compulsary inspection for all people with Hunter Numbers, who have a valid hunting license and who have bought tags for the season for any big game animal wood have to each report after the season whether they got what, and how many and which MU? Otherwise it's just a fools game with nothing close to true numbers.
And this ain't going to happen soon and we all realize that.

The rules on CI are pretty straightforward - so are the numbers. BC's system was looked at as a leader for a long time (until everyone else went to electronic reporting). Having said that it doesn't effect the accuracy of the system, just makes data collection and analysis more expensive.

FYI, from what I recall the response rate on moose LEH was usually above 80% which is excellent and provides great data. When it comes to licensed hunter harvest this is much more than we need to have a reliable estimate.

Have a nice day Jelvis.

Jelvis
10-24-2013, 06:18 PM
Your just guessing, you don't know the true numbers why can't you admit that? lol
Goat you can't do it and no one can so don't feel bad about it.
Your not the only one that has no real facts just a guess so far on any total reality.
You don't even know if the person with the tag even went hunting lol.
Jel .. Give up the "Persona" lol ..

GoatGuy
10-24-2013, 06:23 PM
Your just guessing, you don't know the true numbers why can't you admit that? lol
Goat you can't do it and no one can so don't feel bad about it.
Your not the only one that has no real facts just a guess so far on any total reality.
You don't even know if the person with the tag even went hunting lol.
Jel .. Give up the "Persona" lol ..

Been through the data.

It includes people who did go hunting, harvest, didn't go hunting or didn't purchase a tag or basic resident hunting license.

Easy to understand with basic understanding of statistics.

Jelvis
10-24-2013, 06:34 PM
Data hey, what data, only a fraction of hunters told anyone what they got.
A lot less told you or the governmet what they wounded and got away, shot and got dark and lost it, dint even go hunting things came up, and dint even mention what they did or how much they got because they dint talk on the phone or return dickness.
And you want to make it all compulsory for BC Natives to tell the absolute facts?
Your so mixed up to me on this harvest numbers issue that I wouldn't belive sqwat of anything you try to say is accurate.
Jel .. Sorry but time to let others know you know very little about how to make people report what anyone got period, until then it's just smoke n mirrors.

Blainer
10-24-2013, 06:38 PM
News to me , its been awhile without one. Something by the prov. or the region ?not all species
most, other than deer I believe

ru rancher
10-24-2013, 06:40 PM
jelvis all i am getting out of this is you wound alot of deer and other animals that you never retrive because of my knowledge i only know of that happening once so i couldnt see it being a huge factor across BC but maybe you do it multiple times a year and this is why your so concerned about it

GoatGuy
10-24-2013, 06:47 PM
Data hey, what data, only a fraction of hunters told anyone what they got.
A lot less told you or the governmet what they wounded and got away, shot and got dark and lost it, dint even go hunting things came up, and dint even mention what they did or how much they got because they dint talk on the phone or return dickness.
And you want to make it all compulsory for BC Natives to tell the absolute facts?
Your so mixed up to me on this harvest numbers issue that I wouldn't belive sqwat of anything you try to say is accurate.
Jel .. Sorry but time to let others know you know very little about how to make people report what anyone got period, until then it's just smoke n mirrors.

As stated, for some hunts the response is upwards of 80%. Overall the response rate is 60-70% after the second mailing, which is a very good response rate for a mail-out survey.

Do you know much about sampling or statistics? For example if I had a population a hunt with 500 LEH authorizations released, do you know how many of those people I would have to survey to come up with a representative sample? How about for 100,000? Or 4,500,000? Can you please show how you would do that?

Wounding loss is incorporated in the harvest rate which comes out before any licensed hunter opportunity is given out. Wounding loss is calculated based on studies conducted across NA on that very topic.

I think it would be great if First Nations shared harvest for several reasons. The biggest reason is FN harvest is generally an unknown. FN tend to be non-selective in their harvest (that is not a bad thing) which means the component of the population which regulates growth (females) is harvested. So if we knew FN harvest, it would help understand population dynamics and would ensure sustainable harvest going forward. It would also create a better relationship with all consumptive users. These are all good things. Sustainability and improving relationships between people who cherish the resource.

Anyways, that's basically the way things work.

Jelvis
10-24-2013, 06:51 PM
ru rancher you should never have suggested that Jel shoots and wounds animals one after another all season long farmer.
I would offer you to try and shoot at a hundred yard target and shoot three times at it.
Find your centre of the group stupe, and then move over and watch what a real shooter can do.
I'd put three bullets in that bulls eye, and one hole, all shots wood go thru the one hole dead center of the bulls eye.
So don't say this, and I'm talking about the one you admitted to above.
Haha you even admitted it ru, no fuss.
So it does happen eh farmer ? lol
Jel at least you admit imperferrection .. but saying jelly is a doofuss hurt
You ripped me deep down inside man, and it hurts real bad -- I'm choked

dana
10-24-2013, 07:07 PM
jelly doesn't wound game because jelly never hunts. he spends all of hunting season, every hour, every minute of daylight on HBC instead.

ru rancher
10-24-2013, 07:09 PM
who buddy first off didnt say it was me iv only hunted deer for three years now all clean kills all one shot all i said is i have heard of it happening once and the reason i asked you was cause you think that is going to effect the out come of the harvest numbers by what maybe 50 and thats a big MAYBE but you where makeing a huge deal about it so maybe you know somehting i dont! and dont dout my shooting i shot my sheep this summer at 450 yards with a 30-06 i know how to shoot you bringing up 100 yards is just a joke bulls eye all the way!!

ru rancher
10-24-2013, 07:10 PM
awww i see and that is why his picture is of some old set of deer antlers nothing new ;p

ru rancher
10-24-2013, 07:12 PM
and ya goat i do all my response things and even if i had a secret spot you dont have to attach a photo of the cranker buck you shoot last fall so how is saying the spot going to effect you ever??

GoatGuy
10-24-2013, 07:15 PM
and ya goat i do all my response things and even if i had a secret spot you dont have to attach a photo of the cranker buck you shoot last fall so how is saying the spot going to effect you ever??

you got it - highly unlikely that someone in Victoria who inputs tens of thousands of responses every year even hunts, or knows who you are or what you ever harvested..............

ru rancher
10-24-2013, 07:16 PM
exactly anyways thatnks for the help goat much appreaciated

Jelvis
10-24-2013, 07:28 PM
Dana is right, I've been on hbc a lot since being house bound pritty well, looking after someone who needs some support for serious health issues for last season and this one so far. Just can't leave and go.
But to have the farmer from Big lake take me out, and to shoot me down with flames and hurting me deep inside mentioning my old rotting antlers is real hard on my blood pressure anyways I should be ok tonight. I feel light headed a bit.
450 yard running shot on a sheep whoa! Your definately a shooter, sorry for the challenge at 100, too close for you anyvayz.
Dana is one hunter that wood never wound an animal by mistake and lose it.
But some have and ru, admitted he saw it himself.
Jel .. I'm going to lay down fellas I got a bit of a light head hurt and my left side is a lil numb

ru rancher
10-24-2013, 07:34 PM
jelvis your such a poor sport if you cant take it dont dish it out and get your facts strait two things you said in that post where not true atleast im sure its all made up though cause one of the two of us needs to make himself feel big i wonder who that is....

Jelvis
10-24-2013, 07:51 PM
I just got off the phone, my personal Doc says, eh Jelly your not a young man anymore.
I explained why I was slightly dizzy and light headed and my left side was feeling a lil numb. I told him what people had said, and he told me to not to read too much into things, facts are hard to find with lil information and without personal interaction.
Just like LEH numbers are very inaccurate he said, no facts, no talking and communication makes for shabby results and much assuming happens.
Matter of fact, there are no solid facts about LEH success and that SUCKS"
"Sorry Jelly I lost it for a minute but eh, don't let these armchair data guessers make you any more upset than needs be, your right LEH success rates are not close to the real numbers and no one knows the real quantum ok" "They are frustrated and lashing out at you making things up because they don't believe their own numbers at all either. "Let it ride give em rope and they'll hang themselves."
Thanks Doc, I will do as you say, and now I realize it is a lotta bull.
Bye for now Sigmund
Jel your pal it's such a perfect day, La la laaa la I'm right your wrong lah la lah

ru rancher
10-24-2013, 07:57 PM
belive the doctor i guess ;)