PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about giving it a go!

Winchester _Chick
10-23-2013, 02:41 PM
Hey all,

I have the gun, the exclusive "rights" to a farmers field that is OVERFLOWING with geese and a dog that likes to bring squirrels back......

I am thinking about going out and getting myself a waterfowl license and giving it a go!

Any advice for a first timer?

How much time is left in the season??? I am in the Cowichan Valley.

lorneparker1
10-23-2013, 04:02 PM
It sounds like you need a mentor. I will be happy to show you the ropes :) While that may seem like a self invite...lol its not. However, to lay an effective beatdown it helps to have someone that knows there stuff and has the gear. My advice would be to go with someone that knows what they are doing. There are tons of good waterfowlers from your area on here that can show you the ropes( Field Marshall, NAES, Tanya, shotgun john, Duck buster, etc). All of us would hate to see you post a pic of one goose when your field is OVERFLOWING when you could be posting pics of LIMITS!. The farmer will be happy to.

Honkers are open till nov 24 then open back up some time in Dec again.

Blainer
10-23-2013, 04:04 PM
It sounds like you need a mentor. I will be happy to show you the ropes :) While that may seem like a self invite...lol my advice would be to go with someone that knows what they are doing. There are tons of good waterfowlers from your area on here that can show you the ropes. All of us would hate to see you post a pic of one goose when your field is OVERFLOWING when you could be posting pics of LIMITS!. The farmer will be happy to.

Honkers are open till nov 24 then open back up some time in Dec again.great offer
lots of equipment needed and can possibly be provided with a mentor:blind,decoys,mojo,ect

Winchester _Chick
10-23-2013, 05:28 PM
Am not interested in going crazy buying up a pile of decoys, this is a field that has not been hunted before, they geese are chased off with bangers and dogs running around in the field. So I am not thinking this is all needed, I am not planing on going crazy. I am not sure how much I like goose, Duck Busters wife is a good friend of mine, she brought over some of his goose jerkey. It was GREAT! So I thought I would go out one morning, see if I can get a goose or two and then maybe go back a few days later and try again. There is lots of thick bush for cover. I am not interested in spending hours sitting out there, I am not that die hard. I am thinking of just sitting in the bush with my pooch for a hour and see if I can get anything.I just need someone to go, "Yeah, sounds great!" "Have fun!" LOL

pnbrock
10-23-2013, 05:38 PM
Take Lorne's offer he brings the hunt to you.

Ian F.
10-23-2013, 05:45 PM
Yes you can give'm a try like you mention...

take up Lorne, the experience of a proper goose hunt in a tended field is something to not be missed.

ill vouch for him, but he does drink Pepsi

Ian

adriaticum
10-23-2013, 06:27 PM
Hey, you won't know until you give it a go!
Jack!

hare_assassin
10-23-2013, 06:37 PM
If someone like Lorne made me an offer like that, I'd be all over it. I know it isn't what you had in mind, but sometimes life hands you something even better than what you had in mind. Don't miss those opportunities! You only live once.

Cdn-Redneck
10-23-2013, 06:40 PM
The best way to find out if you like shooting birds is to go shoot some birds. Take him up on the offer one of the most accomplished waterfowlers on this site.

f350ps
10-23-2013, 07:43 PM
Hey all,

I have the gun, the exclusive "rights" to a farmers field that is OVERFLOWING with geese and a dog that likes to bring squirrels back......

I am thinking about going out and getting myself a waterfowl license and giving it a go!

Any advice for a first timer?

How much time is left in the season??? I am in the Cowichan Valley.
Wow, sounds like you have an excellent spot there and I like your enthusiasm! I've got everything you need to be very successful and am more than willing to come over and show you the ropes. You'd probably enjoy going out with me as I wing shoot them as opposed to LP's ground and pound. Let me know what boat to be on and I'm there! :) K

yamadirt 426
10-23-2013, 07:43 PM
Im all about DIY. Id love to read about you going out there and just get 1 goose. I for one dont care for limits. Im just as happy to see you get 1 bird or 10 birds. So get your ass out there with your dog and have some fun ! As much as I like to go out with others for a hunt I cherish the times when its just the dog and I. Especially for the first time. So quit your thinking and Just Do It !!! But i want to see pics afterward with the big smile on you and your dogs face. Cheers

Winchester _Chick
10-23-2013, 08:22 PM
Thanks for the encouragement! Just need the husband to get a day off work so he can stay home with the kids. Me and the dog can take off. I really appreciate all the offers. But you guys are all pretty hard core! I am not interested at getting out there at the crack of dawn. with a pile of gear and spending 4 hours sitting and waiting. I am not into filling my freezer (I already have to keep a brick on it to keep the lid closed) I just want to drive out to the field, and wait for the geese to fly over..... I want a photo of my rotteiller bringing me a goose. Then I want to hop in the truck and drive home and make some jerky. If me and my dog have fun, then we may get more serious into it.

Crazy_Farmer
10-23-2013, 08:32 PM
ill vouch for him, but he does drink Pepsi

Ian

now that you mention it I do remember waking up at zero dark thirty and hearing the distinct sound of a bottle being cracked opened hahahahaha.

Love it. I'm the same but ice t.

f350ps
10-23-2013, 08:50 PM
Thanks for the encouragement! Just need the husband to get a day off work so he can stay home with the kids. Me and the dog can take off. I really appreciate all the offers. But you guys are all pretty hard core! I am not interested at getting out there at the crack of dawn. with a pile of gear and spending 4 hours sitting and waiting. I am not into filling my freezer (I already have to keep a brick on it to keep the lid closed) I just want to drive out to the field, and wait for the geese to fly over..... I want a photo of my rotteiller bringing me a goose. Then I want to hop in the truck and drive home and make some jerky. If me and my dog have fun, then we may get more serious into it.
Hey don't get me wrong, I'm all for sleeping in, then we can whack and stack! :) K

lorneparker1
10-23-2013, 08:56 PM
Am not interested in going crazy buying up a pile of decoys, this is a field that has not been hunted before, they geese are chased off with bangers and dogs running around in the field. So I am not thinking this is all needed, I am not planing on going crazy. I am not sure how much I like goose, Duck Busters wife is a good friend of mine, she brought over some of his goose jerkey. It was GREAT! So I thought I would go out one morning, see if I can get a goose or two and then maybe go back a few days later and try again. There is lots of thick bush for cover. I am not interested in spending hours sitting out there, I am not that die hard. I am thinking of just sitting in the bush with my pooch for a hour and see if I can get anything.I just need someone to go, "Yeah, sounds great!" "Have fun!" LOL

Well I would suggest you go out there and have some fun then!

One thing I would like to mention though. The benefit of having a pile of decoys, in a low pressure field, and a proper set up is you don't have to "wait around for hours". That's the point. Trust me if I had to hunt all day every time, I wouldn't kill nearly many. Both for the reasons mentioned next, and the fact my wife wouldnt let me hunt as much as i do! And as anyone that has hunted with me can attest, my ADD would not allow for it. The birds decoy in close, allowing you better shooting, instead of just pass shooting. To me finishing birds feet down >20 yards is what is satisfying about waterfowl hunting.. How many you kill is just the confirmation. Also this allows you to get in and out of the field faster, thus not educating them as much, allowing you to hunt the same field over and over and "thinning the herd" without smartening up the birds. And honestly, BIG FAT HONKERS kicking you in the face at 15 yards is about as much fun as you can have with your clothes on. Any of those guys that I mentioned in my first post can most likely make that happen for you.

If pass shooting is your thing have at er and take lots of pics! Goose hunting is fun not matter howyou do it. But what I would do if that is your thing, is go the night before without a gun, and watch them. find out where they are flying into the field at their lowest, preferably wings locked up, gliding into the field and set up underneath them. As an inexperienced shotgunner, do not shoot at birds flying at full speed over 30 yards.The biggest problem with pass shooting is judging how far they are. A winged goose shot at 40-50 yards can sail 1/2 mile.

Lorne

field marshal
10-23-2013, 09:22 PM
Wow, sounds like you have an excellent spot there and I like your enthusiasm! I've got everything you need to be very successful and am more than willing to come over and show you the ropes. You'd probably enjoy going out with me as I wing shoot them as opposed to LP's ground and pound. Let me know what boat to be on and I'm there! :) K

Wow!!! You Mainlanders are really getting desparate??? You are actually going to pay BC ferries, to kill a few geese???:mrgreen:
Cheers----Field Marshal.

BiG Boar
10-23-2013, 09:25 PM
Lorne Parker is a waterfowl serial killer. If you want someone to show you how to limit out, take him up.

If you want to post questions on why you only got 3 even though you saw 500 coming into land in a weeks time, DIY.

pnbrock
10-23-2013, 09:36 PM
fieldmarshal we mainlanders will carpool to kill all your geese :)

Kudu
10-23-2013, 09:43 PM

Now - now - because you shoot them in the air doesn't mean you need take the piss out those that can't! :mrgreen:

lorneparker1
10-23-2013, 09:55 PM
Anyone can shoot a honker in the chest, hovering over your spread locked up with a 5 foot wing span. Takes real skill to shoot one in the noodle while it is tip toeing through your decoys!

Moe.JKU
10-23-2013, 11:36 PM
Those are some great offers from some very experienced guys on here. I did the DIY approach last year as i had no one to teach me. don't get me wrong its fun, however if i had an offer like that i think i would call in sick just to head out.
What ever you decide you can't shoot anything from your computer, time spent in a blind is always fun and productive just to see how the birds fly, where they are going, how to call, when and when not to call, etc. I would have to say i learn at least two new things every time i go out.

lorneparker1
11-02-2013, 12:55 PM
So its been 2 weeks.

Anything happen here?