PDA

View Full Version : Region 2 - still early for mallards?

albravo2
10-23-2013, 07:58 AM
Ok, my search continues undaunted by the fact that the ducks I find in the Sea to Sky corridor might taste awful.

Not much luck on internet research for hunting geese over the ocean. My internet search for same turned up my HBC thread saying I was going to do some internet research on hunting geese over the ocean and nothing else.

But I found a very marshy spot between Squamish and Whistler. To my uneducated eye it looks like excellent duck habitat. Tall cattails on shore with reeds and a shallow muddy bottom. Some fish activity. It also has a great area to build a blind. Problem is, no ducks.

There were half a dozen divers but no dabblers to be seen. I tried calling, but since I'm new at calling too I'm not sure that helped the situation.

Is it still early for mallards or am I just not on a flight path? Next option is over toward Pemberton/Lillooet Lake, hoping to catch a migration headed for the Fraser Valley.

Moe.JKU
10-23-2013, 08:44 AM
From what I have seen hunting open fields it is still ok for geese right now. But i have never had much luck hunting them over the ocean.
For ducks they are slowly starting to heat up in the area that i'm hunting in, i would imagine that it will be another 2 weeks before the main push of birds come. We went out sat and sun last week and i ended up with 6 and 8 ducks. Half of them were mallards i would say. It took me a while to find the a good spot and a lot of rejection from farmers.
Don't get discouraged, keep putting your time in and youll get a good spot and start having more success.

Kudu
10-23-2013, 09:11 AM
There are a few ducks out there Allan - give it a couple of weeks and there will be a lot more!

warnniklz
10-23-2013, 09:16 AM
Didn't see a whole lot of mallards at thanksgiving. Lots of teal and widgeon. But I did see mallards.

albravo2
10-23-2013, 11:59 AM
Thanks all, happy to hear it.

I don't mind behind patient.

It will give me time to practise calling. More like a duck, less like a monkey with a harmonica.

Foxton Gundogs
10-23-2013, 02:35 PM
Dismal here in Cedar