PDA

View Full Version : Moose Hunting Help. 5-02d

Zeuski
10-22-2013, 08:59 PM
My friend and I are currently on day 2 of 8 for our LEH Bull Moose Hunt in MU 5-02d. We are focussing our efforts in the McLeese Lake area off of Beaver Lake Rd checking out all the spurs running North. So far after 2 days of hard hunting all we could say we've seen are a few rabbits and some birds. The Moose sign is also a bit scarce. We would hate to leave empty handed and are requesting any help or pointers as to where we might have better luck. This is our first time hunting in the area and we are wondering if there are better areas within 5-02d to focus on. Thanks for any help out there.

junkyard_g
10-22-2013, 10:01 PM
north portion of the unit held ok moose numbers when i worked out there back in the day. 300rd and 500rd were heavily pressured. can't remember if swift river was in 5-2d or not, it held some moose too.

ru rancher
10-22-2013, 10:55 PM
5-02 d can be a tough one there used to be lots of moose way way back before the logging but now it is hard to find them i have saw bulls there but not near any roads and would probably be impossible to pack out other then that only sign iv saw is old tracks in the snow id suggest going closer to likley i belive zone d is the left hand side of the road might be alittle more promising out there then off the beaver lake road

srupp
10-22-2013, 11:07 PM
5-02 d can be a tough one there used to be lots of moose way way back before the logging but now it is hard to find them i have saw bulls there but not near any roads and would probably be impossible to pack out other then that only sign iv saw is old tracks in the snow id suggest going closer to likley i belive zone d is the left hand side of the road might be alittle more promising out there then off the beaver lake road

I agree towards Likely...had 5 or 6 come out of there in last 3 years..Im headed out there tomorrow to check some moose hunters out there..

Steven

Zeuski
10-23-2013, 06:28 AM
Thanks guys. Heading out towards Likely this morning. Wondering if calling the Moose this time of year is helpful?

ace76
10-23-2013, 07:24 AM
Most bulls are going into hiding now after the rut so they can recover from wounds and from all the running around chasing cows . Their energy levels are low. Try looking up high early and late and then in the timber during the day and where you find good sign. I've seen a few in your area this last week, up high and only for about 45 min in morning.

Good luck !

LYKTOHUNT
10-23-2013, 08:35 AM
Thanks guys. Heading out towards Likely this morning. Wondering if calling the Moose this time of year is helpful?calling can work at this time of year , I was deer hunting a little north of where you are hunting and around 4 PM I spotted a bull on the tree line 300yards away, so just for fun I gave a few cow calls, which interested the bull but he decided to head into the timber a bit but then came back out, I called a few more times and he very slowly made his way towards me stopping often in the willows.
It took about 45 minutes for him to make his way to 100 yards from me, he never made a sound the whole way in.
It would have been real easy to take him but I have already filled my moose tag.
My advise is to try calling but be mindfull that they may come in quietly and be patient, I think at this time of the season it is at the end of the rut but they might be curious enough to check you out

Glenny
10-23-2013, 08:41 AM
Ya. Towards Likely. Buxton FSR to be more specific.

ratherbeshooting
10-23-2013, 08:46 AM
We had a 5-02d group LEH this same time period last year. Our third time in the area and it was our second scratch on moose. We found LOTS of dry cows and one bull after shooting light left and that was it for 4.5 sets of eyes over 6 days. Only managed a couple of deer as well...one mulie and one WT. Did manage to harvest a few wolves which seem to be fairly prolific in the area. Most excitement was getting shot at...we had our camp at the end of a spur road when someone decided to start taking shots at grouse...guess they didn't look up and see us. Most activity for us was middle to north of the zone and up high.

good luck

Good luck!

srupp
10-23-2013, 12:05 PM
food...look for red willow..its dry and no snow...they need 40 pounds of grub a day..

steven

jessbennett
10-23-2013, 01:00 PM
just remember that the likely highway borders 502-c and d...... seen alot of moose on the 2600 rd. (at least i believe its the 2600).. lol... too many roads in the 2000's here. lol. anything on the left of the highway to likely is all good.

srupp
10-24-2013, 09:49 PM
hmmm went out today 45 or so kms from Williams Lake..then 27 kms back in the mountains..and I MEET THESE TWO GUYS..LMAO..really nice gentlemen ..even being from the Island lol we chatted...I seen a few deer, an elk, and a black bear..and at last light a bull moose just 20 yards off the rd..was a GREAT afternoon evening..and made the open invitation for these gents to come over for coffee tomorrow evening...was an excellent outing..

cheers
Steven

ru rancher
10-24-2013, 10:11 PM
where did you see the elk at?

Zeuski
10-24-2013, 11:12 PM
Steven, it was our pleasure. No luck after we saw you today. Looks like we are coming over for coffee tomorrow if the invite stands. Maybe you can PM me where you saw that moose today.... We can have a go at him tomorrow morning. Take care and we shall chat soon. Pete

Jagermeister
10-24-2013, 11:25 PM
5-02d is one of those late blooming zones. Nothing gets exciting until there is some good snow in the area. The bulls will hang back in the cariboo mtns until they are basically forced to move. There may be some resident bulls, but they are few and wiley. Cows usually have an secondary estrus period because they didn't get breed in the first one so calling could be productive. Pick your spot, preferably with some elevation and be patient.

srupp
10-25-2013, 02:34 PM
Steven, it was our pleasure. No luck after we saw you today. Looks like we are coming over for coffee tomorrow if the invite stands. Maybe you can PM me where you saw that moose today.... We can have a go at him tomorrow morning. Take care and we shall chat soon. Pete

Hi Pete...yes great talking with you two gents yes the invitation is definatley open for tonight....the father and son team were gonna have alook for that bull this am..I have been @ work all day....busy day.

The bull was indeed where I said he would be just at end of day in the open yellow with the willow at the tree line 30" rack 20 yard shot max.

cheers
till this evening

steven Rupp

whiteraven
10-25-2013, 08:03 PM
Just came back from 502d area1 moose small Should have had 2 Lots of grizz lots of blacks chickens 4 moose cows 5 deer 1monster typical mullie 1 crazy non typical mulie and trillion road hunters . This was on the 600 rd and the 600a rd

srupp
10-27-2013, 11:49 AM
Tim and Pete..

http://gemakei.com/content/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/clap-gif.gif

Zeuski
10-27-2013, 10:59 PM
Steven, thanks for the applause. Yesterday morning we saw a couple bulls on the 2600 rd. One ran into the timber, one decided to hang out to see what all the fuss was about. That was a bad idea. My buddy Tim managed a 75 yard shot dead on. A decent 4 point meat moose down. Thanks to Steven Rup, AKA Jedi Master Moose Hunter, for all the help along the way. Thanks for the advice, the hospitality and allowing us to hang our animal. It was a great pleasure to meet you and your wife. Please, if you ever find yourself on the island in our neck of the woods, make sure you look us up. We will definitely be putting in for another draw again next year. What a great place to hunt. We would also like thank Chris from Duncan. Without you, it would have been a long night. I hope the rest of your hunt went well. I guess that's it for a couple Island boys as we are leaving tomorrow. Hopefully we will see you all again next year. Pete and Tim

Zeuski
10-27-2013, 11:10 PM
Sorry guys, I forgot to thank all those who posted. Where are my manners. It was all very helpfull.

Peter

Whonnock Boy
10-27-2013, 11:14 PM
Sorry guys, I forgot to thank all those who posted. Where are my manners. It was all very helpfull.

Peter

All will be forgiven when you post a pic... :wink: congrats on the bull.

Zeuski
10-27-2013, 11:29 PM
All will be forgiven when you post a pic... :wink: congrats on the bull.

The pics are on the camera and we don't have a card reader. I will post as soon as we get home.

Peter

Duckman
10-28-2013, 01:22 AM
Just read the whole thread-great to see a story on HBC with a happy ending!

jessbennett
10-28-2013, 05:09 AM
I do believe that someone else " may " have quoted a reference to it "might be an idea "to check out the 2600 road. Lol. Hmmmmmm........

Steven, thanks for the applause. Yesterday morning we saw a couple bulls on the 2600 rd. One ran into the timber, one decided to hang out to see what all the fuss was about. That was a bad idea. My buddy Tim managed a 75 yard shot dead on. A decent 4 point meat moose down. Thanks to Steven Rup, AKA Jedi Master Moose Hunter, for all the help along the way. Thanks for the advice, the hospitality and allowing us to hang our animal. It was a great pleasure to meet you and your wife. Please, if you ever find yourself on the island in our neck of the woods, make sure you look us up. We will definitely be putting in for another draw again next year. What a great place to hunt. We would also like thank Chris from Duncan. Without you, it would have been a long night. I hope the rest of your hunt went well. I guess that's it for a couple Island boys as we are leaving tomorrow. Hopefully we will see you all again next year. Pete and Tim

Zeuski
10-28-2013, 08:02 AM
I do believe that someone else " may " have quoted a reference to it "might be an idea "to check out the 2600 road. Lol. Hmmmmmm........

Of course, credit should always be given to those who deserve it. Jessbennet, you were on the money. Thanks. It is a fantastic area to hunt. Peter

sniper ren
10-28-2013, 08:27 AM
We need pics.....

Zeuski
11-01-2013, 09:37 AM

As Promised, here is the Pic. Pete