PDA

View Full Version : Anyone hunted Muskox?

Whiterock
10-22-2013, 03:36 PM
Im curious about the experience. I want to see the arctic when there is no snow.Ive heard its more of a boring collection than a hunt. Anyone?

Rackem
10-22-2013, 03:40 PM
My hunting buddy has hunted Muskox, and Caribou, and Arctic Wolves and Hares, up in the Arctic...They don't run away...like cows...

phred123425
10-22-2013, 11:09 PM
PM sent to you.

Frango
10-23-2013, 08:13 AM
I have not hunted them but I have filmed them many times. I once got on film a pack of wolves bringing down an old bull..Very cool..I have filmed them in winter and summer. They are easy to film so hunting should be the same.

sheephunterab
10-23-2013, 08:37 AM
Mine was an incredible adventure and a wonderful hunt....truly one of my most memorable. Maybe I got lucky but it sure didn't match your description. I did a spring hunt and think a fall hunt might be more enjoyable from a weather aspect but I can't see how hunting the Arctic could be described as boring.

Whiterock
10-23-2013, 07:09 PM
Thanks all,,appreciate the input,,,anyone else?

TheProvider
10-23-2013, 08:18 PM
I'll be hunting them soon with the bow. Arctic bound this spring for a few years ;)

IronNoggin
10-24-2013, 12:58 PM
Using a bow would be interesting...

I had several occasions to hunt Musk-Ox on Banks Island.
First time I had but recently acquired this venerable old rifle:

http://gallery.fishbc.com/albums/Ironnoggin/Springfield_1.jpg

Late 1800's Trap Door Springfield in 45-70. Wanted desperately to shoot a buffalo with it, but alas never did draw one of the coveted NWT Bison tags. Next closest thing I thought...

That initial trip we hunted pretty hard for 2 days. Wanted the rifle's "first" to be a decent one, so was right fussy. Half way through the second day we wandered across two ancient old bulls off by them selves. Put a ridge between us, and sneak right in to 80 yards. BOOM! That old cannon hits like a freight Train! Not even a wiggle!

And a Fine Scoring Memento to adorn my Cave:

http://gallery.fishbc.com/albums/Ironnoggin/Muskok_3.jpg

http://gallery.fishbc.com/albums/Ironnoggin/Muskok_2.jpg

They weren't all that much of a challenge to stalk. Eating wise, those old Bulls are like chewing Michelin Tires!
Even the ever hungry huskies BURIED the chunks we gave them. LOL!

The young ones (yearlings) are however Incredible eating! Remember to get a couple tags :wink:

Some Arctic Critters offer a Fine Hunt. Dall Sheep, Wolves and late season Caribou will offer up a great challenge.
Musk-Ox... Not So Much...
Toughest thing was to locate The One I was looking for...

Cheers,
Nog

Whiterock
10-25-2013, 10:33 AM
Thanks for the replies all,,I guess it boils down to how bad I want to see the land,,,and I do. It might be an interesting trip,,and certainly a stunning trophy,,,just not much of a challange. Thx for the pics Nog,,nice trophy.

sheephunterab
10-25-2013, 01:36 PM
The challenge is in the journey, the extensive travel, the different culture, surviving in a harsh environment, learning from men that live and hunt in the Arctic. Sure, once you see musk ox you will likely get one but if you think this hunt comes without challenge, you are mistaken. Getting into position for the stalk is the challenge. I'd say it offers a lot more challenge than most hunts. I'm not sure how that could be described as boring. It's just perspective I guess.