PDA

View Full Version : Still, once again, no trophies, but my freezer is even fuller!

JIL_24/7
10-22-2013, 03:01 PM
Well. The trend continues! I went out for five days with my wife for her first hunt last week near Clinton. We hunted fairly hard, but I tried to keep it within reason with it being her first time. We hiked a few pretty good hills, valleys and mountains. I wanted to get her some outdoors experience and also have some time to teach her more about hunting and shooting. It went really well. She did great and only complained a couple of times :). We saw a good sized black bear, about 10 does, and tons of sign. Some of the moose sign was still glistening and we could smell an animal close, but never got a look. We were also able to bag a couple of grouse. The last day I decided to give up my quest for a "big" buck and instead visit an area I thought might have at least a few does and possibly a couple of young bucks who like to come up through a valley and into a farmers field at first light. Problem is we had spent some time looking high in the morning and it was already nearly 8:30 by the time we dropped into the area. Just before we got to the spot we said a little prayer and asked the Lord to allow us to at least see a few deer our last day and perhaps get a shot at one even though we were running a little late in the morning. Sure enough when we got to the spot there just jumping over the fence was a nice little spiker and about 5 does. We decided to loop around and come down into the valley anyways hoping that perhaps there was a straggler down in the deep ravine. As we came around to drop in we saw a deer. I got out the binos and then waited until the wife identified it was a buck. We put a little stalk on the animal and when we got just to the edge of the drop off there he was staring back at us. My wife was not confident to shoot the first time, so she asked me to take the shot because she wanted to see the whole process play out. I rested the rifle on my knee and took the shot, but the deer didn't drop. I was confused. I had a really good shot I thought, and I had shot with my .45-70 (which is a great deer gun for all of you naysayers) which should have dropped him. I figured I must have missed, but she was quick to remind me that we had to make sure (she listened in her CORE course!). We went to where the animal was and began searching for blood. Just as I was about to come to the conclusion that I had somehow missed an 80 yard shot my wife says, "Is this blood?". Sure enough it was! We followed the trail and then came up empty again in about 150 yards. We searched back and forth and again the wife says, "here's more blood". We keep walking and about another 100 yards away there he lays. ALL STRAIGHT DOWN! She was quite the trooper as we gutted the animal, and then it was onto my back and up. I figured, "it's just a two point, it won't be that heavy". Well, it wasn't that heavy really, but it sure did make me tired as you can see by the flattering picture my wife took :). I probably tried to carry it wrong too, but hey I've only been doing this for a couple years myself.
Finally, I will never, ever, ever, never, ever buy or use Hornady LeverRevolution ammo EVER AGAIN! I did make a perfect shot on that deer. It was placed in such a manner that the deer should have dropped immediately or soon thereafter, but the bullet literally exploded on impact! Some pieces went up and out into the shoulder, some pieces went in and back into the guts and one tiny piece exited the other side. The deer was a mess. It caused more suffering for the animal and incredible meat loss. I AM VERY UPSET ABOUT THIS! I try hard to hunt respectfully and accurately, but in this case that was all thrown out because of a poorly made bullet. I have always used Barnes in my .45-70 and it is awesome. It enters and exits the animal at the same size with less meat loss than my old 30-06, but I could not find it this fall. Word to the wise, STAY AWAY FROM HORNADY LEVEREVOLUTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://s852.photobucket.com/user/pastor_in_future/media/1401113_10151646181807100_1609968709_o_zps7edbeef1 .jpg.html
http://s852.photobucket.com/user/pastor_in_future/media/1375514_10151646183112100_905933231_o_zps8d27ee98. jpg.html

xtrail
10-22-2013, 03:08 PM
Congrats on a nice meat buck, should be good eats.

dingdongdenny
10-22-2013, 04:13 PM
not sure what your doing in the one picture, you trying to dance with it?lol
nice 2pt still a decent size animal.

rifleman
10-22-2013, 04:51 PM
good eater... carefull packin a deer like that, you may get shot... at least put flagging on the antlers... congrats to your wife!!!

nano
10-22-2013, 07:04 PM
Congrats to the both of you on a successful hunt, and best of luck on many more !

Looking_4_Jerky
10-22-2013, 07:18 PM
Sounds like a good hunt, good on your wife for hanging in there. Only thing is you should have got The Lord to beam that little guy up the hill!

ACE
10-22-2013, 07:23 PM
good eater... carefull packin a deer like that, you may get shot... at least put flagging on the antlers... congrats to your wife!!!

Dangerous way to 'move' a buck ...... flagging is cheap and effective.
Congratulations to your wife!

JIL_24/7
10-22-2013, 08:05 PM
I do realize in hindsight that I should have used flagging tape, but I must also let you know that the sound of my wife's laughter as I tried to haul that thing out ensured my safety.

sapper
10-22-2013, 08:18 PM
Congrats. Those photos tell an interesting story. In the one you look he has you beat and you're praying for the Rapture. :-)

gbear
10-22-2013, 09:02 PM
Congrats on the deer. I hear what you are saying about the bullets. I had a 45-70, and the same thing happened to me. Horrible feeling. I actually got rid of that gun all together

ElliotMoose
10-25-2013, 09:34 AM
I'm not a fan of any of the Hornady ammunition to tell you the truth. The superformance group terribly in all of my calibres! Good looking buck, nice having the wife along

Jelvis
10-25-2013, 09:49 AM
Thanks for the read and look see, and another fine deer for the table wow.
Jel .. Your a good hunting couple for sure, thanks again for the great thread.

16ga
10-25-2013, 02:05 PM
I do realize in hindsight that I should have used flagging tape, but I must also let you know that the sound of my wife's laughter as I tried to haul that thing out ensured my safety.
The laughter is probably way more effective anyway.

Black Bird
10-25-2013, 04:57 PM
Congrats to you and your wife! It makes me wonder if I will ever get mine out on a hunt one day...

Cheers,
BB

rocksteady
10-25-2013, 05:54 PM
Schweet! Nice meat buck