PDA

View Full Version : First Solo Kill & First Bear at once

bucket
10-22-2013, 12:37 PM
Well, I went out scouting yesterday (3rd day of hunting trip) as my hunting partner had to work for the morning. Ended up crossing paths with what turned into my first bear! Shot went through and through, it didn't make it 20 feet. Skinned 'em for a rug and its at the butcher already. Moving this sucker solo was hard work - after a hard hour and a half of cutting, chopping and sawing to keep the rug intact and to use all the meat for smokies. Hard work - great experience! Had an absolutely beautiful coat. 105 lbs on the hook at the butcher. MAN was it hard to pick up the carcass and put in the bed of a lifted truck alone. Haha!

Only thing I'd do differently is have my hunting buddy with me! Poor guy.

Oh, I managed to nick my hand a couple times with the knife while skinning at too fast a pace. The scratches ( not really cuts just like paper cuts) are a bit pink. Is this anythign to be considered about ? Obviously disinfected once got home and am putting on alcohol based sanitizer all day.. I'm sure I'm not the first person ever to have done this, but didn't see much info about it. Thanks for any input.

Cheers & Happy Hunting :-D

http://i42.tinypic.com/2058uc1.jpg

Cami
10-22-2013, 12:58 PM
very nice work
congrats to the completed challenge.
Hope he will be tasty.

caddisguy
10-22-2013, 02:02 PM
Nice job! Which MU were you hunting in? (If you dont mind) ... as for the cut, I wouldn't worry too much. I know bears can carry trichiniasis and you can get that through under cooked meat. Not sure about a cut. Tetanus is another slim possibility. Could always hit up a walk-in clinic and get a doctors advice. I did the same thing cutting off a grouse wing a few weeks ago... never went to the doctor... still don't have the lock jaw lol

rides bike to work
10-22-2013, 02:12 PM
Nice bear I'm still looking for my first. That one looks big to would love to see some more pics if you have any more. Wouldn't worry to much about the cuts but if its throbbing in a couple days now and your breaking out in a fever you might want to get it looked at.

yamadirt 426
10-22-2013, 03:57 PM
I cut myself a few times this year while skinning my first bear. Im still typing with both hands. you should be fine, me thinks. I was paranoid for a few days after. lol Oh and Congrats !!!!

fyffer
10-22-2013, 05:46 PM
got to the doctor i cut my finger when gutting my bear got blood poising. was super bad. left it 3 days doc said 1 more day could of lost my hand.

Blainer
10-22-2013, 06:13 PM
great accomplishment!
I have a tendancy to gut and skin quickly,must slow down and relax.

limit time
10-22-2013, 06:22 PM
Nice! Scratch that off the bucket' list.

buckguy
10-22-2013, 06:45 PM
Congrats. Nice looking bear, quite the adventure.

bucket
10-22-2013, 08:44 PM
Ya sure - here's another one, we will call this one the "rug" pose - its at the taxidermist now. It was in Region 3 behind Ross Lake -- Hoping I dont have to goto the doc the nicks aren't bugging me too much today just my head is like ... Hmmmm.

It's all about time in places to the guys who haven't gotten one yet. Go to places, spend some time. You'll see them, and if they are ready they will give themselves to you in a nice sideways stance :)

http://i42.tinypic.com/25k6kpe.jpg

caddisguy
10-22-2013, 08:51 PM
Isn't Ross Lake 2-2? Lots of bears out that way, especially in the Spring. I've even run into quite a few during the summer months while flyfishing, especially when using a real that sounds like an injured duck lol

Great work getting that all done by yourself.

HarryToolips
10-22-2013, 08:52 PM
Nice work man..beauty rug he'll make and next time you gotta do it yourself into the truck cut him in half after you've skinned him...

bucket
10-23-2013, 07:54 AM
Ah, "Ross Moore Lake" to be precise. East of Lac le Jeune. And thanks man!

Isn't Ross Lake 2-2? Lots of bears out that way, especially in the Spring. I've even run into quite a few during the summer months while flyfishing, especially when using a real that sounds like an injured duck lol

Great work getting that all done by yourself.

bucket
10-23-2013, 07:55 AM
Yeah -- and also I will leave the sawzall in my truck to make that cut instead of forgetting it in the ATV in the garage :)

Nice work man..beauty rug he'll make and next time you gotta do it yourself into the truck cut him in half after you've skinned him...

fester
10-23-2013, 11:58 AM
great on ya!!!

mungojeerie
10-23-2013, 06:32 PM
Yeah -- and also I will leave the sawzall in my truck to make that cut instead of forgetting it in the ATV in the garage :)

Once long ago I bought a skinning/butchering hatchet and a folding bone saw. I carried these two items with me for many trips and have had them for many animals. So far I have never used either of them once.

I find two knives is all you need to do everything, I use the havalon piranta as my skinner and a buck omni hunter as my gut hook/tough knife. With that I have skinned, removed heads, severed limbs at joints, halved, quartered etc.

Its much nicer than using saws... you get nice clean cuts that arent contaminated with bits of bone, its lighter and more compact to carry as well. You can disassemble an animal very easily if you learn how and where to make cuts... cutting cartlidge and tendons at joints or inbetween bones with your tough knife.

Congrats on the bear!

MOUNTAIN MAN - TOYOTA/ATV
10-23-2013, 07:30 PM
Nice black bear. Good work!

d6dan
10-23-2013, 08:54 PM
Nice bear, Solo is tough but worth it. Congrats to you..:-D

"No Choke"Lord Walsingham
10-23-2013, 09:56 PM
Excellent! Beautiful Bear Sir.

I am sure the nicks on your mitts are nothing to be concerned about in the least. Nearly any time I nick myself with something, especially if said something is a touch dull (as your knife may have been after conducting extensive field dressing) while doing anything I get a bit of red or pink around it. Not 100% of the time mnd you, yet often enough to now that you should have nothing to worry about... Except for a touch of hypochondriasis perhps. Go to the Dr. if you wish Sir, yet I am certain you have nothing wrong health wise and shall live to hunt again!

Hillbros_96
10-24-2013, 05:31 AM
Good on your bear. Definitely take your time and watch the hands so you do it seriously cut them on a later animal.

bucket
10-24-2013, 09:46 AM
Haha thanks guys. The pinks subsided -wasn't freaking just wanted to be sure to watch out for anything :) Heading out today for some Deer and Moose, best of luck this weekend!

caddisguy
10-24-2013, 10:14 AM
Not the pink you got to worry about. And it takes 6 weeks for the lock jaw to set in! ;-P ... haha you're fine... doctor caddis says so. Have a good trip!