PDA

View Full Version : Dry ice

358mag
10-22-2013, 10:11 AM
Any one out there know were to buy and how to store dry ice ?? thought there was a thread not to long ago on line but did a search and nothing come back .
Thanks

Gateholio
10-22-2013, 10:17 AM
Where do you live? Not much use in pointing out a place on Vancouver Island if you are in FSJ :)

panhead
10-22-2013, 10:20 AM
Took some fishing with us a few years ago. Put it in the freezer for a night before we left and in the morning it was half gone. Put it in a cooler with our frozen stuff and it was gone after another night. Wouldn't do it again unless someone can tell me if I did sumptin wrong.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______

“If you’re in a bad situation, don’t worry it’ll change. If you’re in a good situation, don’t worry it’ll change.”

Rob Chipman
10-22-2013, 10:22 AM
Bought a couple small pieces in PG a few years ago to keep meat frozen on drive to LM. Worked great for that.

358mag
10-22-2013, 10:24 AM
Where do you live? Not much use in pointing out a place on Vancouver Island if you are in FSJ :)

Sorry Okanagan Valley but you already know that ....LOL.....:twisted::twisted:

Rock Doctor
10-22-2013, 10:27 AM
I remember seeing Dry Ice sitting outside the loading dock at the local Bumper To Bumper store here a number of times in the past. No idea what they had it shipped with, but it was free to take if you wanted it.

RD

GoatGuy
10-22-2013, 10:27 AM
Sorry Okanagan Valley but you already know that ....LOL.....:twisted::twisted:

where the sheep are nervous

Brambles
10-22-2013, 10:31 AM
Check your local pharmacy their insulin gets shipped in dry ice!

also food distribution warehouses often receive their cakes with dry ice to keep them frozen

Web by
10-22-2013, 10:36 AM
Praxair sells dry ice. Check any other welding gas supplier as they should also carry it. Try Air Liquide to.

One Shot
10-22-2013, 10:43 AM
Praxair sells dry ice. Check any other welding gas supplier as they should also carry it. Try Air Liquide to.

X2....... The stores in the bigger centers do for sure. Some of the stores in smaller centers may not all have it.

358mag
10-22-2013, 10:46 AM
X2....... The stores in the bigger centers do for sure. Some of the stores in smaller centers may not all have it.

Thanks found some at Praxair in K-town .

Foxton Gundogs
10-22-2013, 11:27 AM
You have to wrap it cold alone wont keep it but if you cut it into slices about 4" thick with a band saw, wrap it in several layers of newspaper then several layers of shrink wrap it slows down the evaporation and it should last a few days in a good tight cooler. We used to use it all the time to keep frozen food when I was in the trucking business.

boxhitch
10-22-2013, 11:29 AM
Dry ice doesn't melt , it evaporates , at the temp it takes to make it in the first place.
1 lb. or 100 lbs, it will be gone within 48 hours

panhead
10-22-2013, 12:22 PM
Dry ice doesn't melt , it evaporates , at the temp it takes to make it in the first place.
1 lb. or 100 lbs, it will be gone within 48 hours

There ya go ... that kinda explains it ... thanx

__________________________________________________ ________________________________________

Live cheap and keep mobile

mungojeerie
10-22-2013, 12:29 PM
Yup I've gotten it at praxair once.... put a few bricks in a cardboard box wrapped in duct tape and dropped it in the cooler along with food for a camping trip. Next time I opened the cooler I found that that everything was frozen solid. The milk had erupted out the top and was a solid brick and the eggs had all frozen and broken open etc... lol

I've never used it for hunting, but have recently wondered about it for transporting game back....

10-22-2013, 12:31 PM
Sublimation....I think that's what it's called

Hellfish Hunter
10-22-2013, 09:33 PM
Praxair has dry ice, make sure it is wrapped in paper when you buy it re-wrap it in more heavy paper. Put it in the freezer overnight before you leave. Ensure that you have an igloo cooler or one that it is a seven day cooler. I used dry ice this summer packed all my frozen items around it. It lasted 4 days and the last day the food was still very cold to frozen. It is not cheap but it works well to keep everything frozen as it is -80c. The cooler is the big thing has to be a good cooler. Great thing is nothing gets soggy.

cheers hellfish