PDA

View Full Version : East harrison

JAYDEE
10-20-2013, 09:23 PM
Does anybody know what it's like for deer on the east side Harrison Lake?
I'm thinking about trying it out the next couple of days.

Thanks

Brew
10-20-2013, 09:29 PM
Don't expect to see much by the road. Climb up the steeper hills off the main road and you will start to see sign. The animal are up high. The best time is in nov when it's raining like mad. Lots of the side roads are gated these days. Try up the south talc road. It's at 23km on your right. It starts out steep so you can't miss it. Good luck. Have a great hike

takla1
10-20-2013, 10:19 PM
Consider the west side as well up past 20 mile bay.theres a spot where the road heads inland away from the lake along a huge raveen and cross's a bridge over a small river then heads back towards the lake,cant remember the name of it.but once over the bridge park and climb down into the lower elevations along the lake edge.Ive taken bucks in there.lots of alder /poplar in there,Should be good starting first week of nov as long as the snow level is low enough to access it.

Davy Crockett
10-23-2013, 07:58 PM
Don't expect to see much by the road. Climb up the steeper hills off the main road and you will start to see sign. The animal are up high. The best time is in nov when it's raining like mad. Lots of the side roads are gated these days. Try up the south talc road. It's at 23km on your right. It starts out steep so you can't miss it. Good luck. Have a great hike

Don't try South Talc, it's gated now too plus a watchman on site.

Some decent deer have come out of Hornet Creek, it's a bit further up on the east side, maybe 35km but this year it's been pretty quiet. Also worth hopping the gate at Cogburn just across the bridge at 24km, smaller bucks fairly low down later in the season.

olympia
10-23-2013, 10:09 PM
is there alot of logging truck traffic on the east FSR's?

recoil
10-23-2013, 10:19 PM
I would suspect there would be some logging trucks past the log dump at Cogburn. Tough hunting on east harrsion, we drove the east harrison all the way to nahatlatch/boston two years ago and did not see a single game animal, not even a grouse. For some reason i think the deer seem to like to stay in the timber up there so i would bring a good set of boots, there are some decent game trails that cross and parallel the main logging road if you can locate them.

I only hunt that area as a last resort ie. tagged out for region 3 and 8...

Davy Crockett
10-23-2013, 10:42 PM
I know they are actively logging up Talc but I'm not sure how much traffic there is as I have only been up on weekends.

Last year it was a truck about every 20 minutes. No biggie though, just get the heck out of the way :-D