PDA

View Full Version : How would you hunt this blacktail?

GoodPartner
10-20-2013, 03:12 PM
This is his track (made sometime after 3 pm on Thursday)http://i41.tinypic.com/2ikefed.jpgThis is his rub (made sometime after 3 pm Thursday)http://i44.tinypic.com/t8q53n.jpgThis is him leaving the hilltop on Fridayhttp://i44.tinypic.com/2wexts5.jpgThis is him coming up the hill on Saturday morninghttp://i41.tinypic.com/2d7vkol.jpgI've found beds in thick willow right on top of the mountain. I'm assuming he's up there sleeping in the morning. Where he is leaving in this pic is on the Northeast side side of the hill. The West side of the hill is almost a drop off, but I have climbed it last year and there was deer sign right below the ridge line in a little section. The South side is thick with brush but there are trails. I spooked a deer in there last year but I did not see it, only heard it. I haven't seen any rubs yet on the south side, just does so far on that side on camera. there are old rubs where I have the camera on the south side. These deer aren't pressured by hunters but there is a lot of human activity on this hill (hiking, guys getting firewood etc.)This area is so thick I don't think I would be able to see a deer in more than 10 yards anywhere. The section the picture is from is the most open section of the hill by far except for on the road. I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestion about how to set up for this guy? Could make a tree stand on his rub line, that's the most space for a shot? could try to wait for him on the bottom of the Northeast side of the hill. Could get another guy and try a drive? I'm not sure. I'll keep working at it but I always appreciate the tips and advice I get on here by reading.-GP

takla1
10-20-2013, 04:32 PM
Spent the last couple days camped @700 ft level hunting one of our area's that usually sign up early{doe activity,odd buck tracks,start of scraps}.results....zero sighting...we are there first light last light and all day since thurs}and they are not moving at our elevation.WE need snow or freezeing temps to drive them down.If that buck you have picks of has established a scrap line id be hanging on it in the thick stuff from first light till last.He's not stupid yet so will be mostly nocturnal and keeping to the bush. good luck takla

Spy
10-20-2013, 04:59 PM
I would set up where you have seen him coming & going, a tree stand is prob the way to go. Is that the right time on your cam?

takla1
10-20-2013, 05:35 PM
ground blind would work,make sure to cut shooting lanes to his trail and be set up down wind.cover all exposed skin ie face and hands as they will stand out in that eviroment and be as still as possible,bring lunch and a a piss bottle with you as they have deadly noses.No guarentees he will be by but that would be your best chance on him now,he could be checking his scraps every 2-3 days depending. good luck

quadrakid
10-20-2013, 05:43 PM
Find out where the closest does are hanging out and be there in a couple of weeks when the ruts heating up.

Chaos
10-20-2013, 05:43 PM
A tripwire and a handgrenade

proguide66
10-20-2013, 05:47 PM
Your cam will soon show you that blacktails do not do the same thing each day. 'IF' they did , there would be pages and pages of book bucks listed - like whitetails. There is going to be a couple does living close to where you grabbed this picture. Hunt THEM , find out where they feed and bed. You will probably shoot a much larger buck off those does in a couple weeks. Keep hunting the does in your spot , get a good idea where they feed and bed. Don't bother them much and soon as the rut comes on , slip in there and hang with them---pay off!

Example , I have had the same doe er 3 in 'one little spot' now for a handful years. Those exact same girls have helped me kill ( and a couple friends) 5 different bucks. With this 'spot' I am now to the point I DONT go in there ( even once) until at least nov 15 . I already KNOW there will be those does in the same hole....with a new BIG boyfriend...then bang..... EVERY time.

Anyway , my '2 bits' anyway , good luck !

BlacktailStalker
10-20-2013, 06:29 PM
Also, take your nail or knife and go scrape the bark off an alder and ask yourself how long it takes to go orange...
Good luck with your buck.

GoodPartner
10-20-2013, 09:33 PM
I would set up where you have seen him coming & going, a tree stand is prob the way to go. Is that the right time on your cam?

Yes, the time is right. I had pics from this morning too around 6:00 am but because of a camera malfuntion I have the IR shut off so they were all black. So I don't know if it was a buck (Most likely a deer though, but unsure). The trail I have the cam on comes out onto the rub line. This line was heavily rubbed last year, he did two rubs so far but I anticipate more. I also got two bucks on camera there last November. Is parking on a knowen rub line an effective stragey? Even though he is coming and coming in the day here I imagine the rubbing is happening at night.

GoodPartner
10-20-2013, 09:50 PM
Your cam will soon show you that blacktails do not do the same thing each day. 'IF' they did , there would be pages and pages of book bucks listed - like whitetails. There is going to be a couple does living close to where you grabbed this picture. Hunt THEM , find out where they feed and bed. You will probably shoot a much larger buck off those does in a couple weeks. Keep hunting the does in your spot , get a good idea where they feed and bed. Don't bother them much and soon as the rut comes on , slip in there and hang with them---pay off!

Example , I have had the same doe er 3 in 'one little spot' now for a handful years. Those exact same girls have helped me kill ( and a couple friends) 5 different bucks. With this 'spot' I am now to the point I DONT go in there ( even once) until at least nov 15 . I already KNOW there will be those does in the same hole....with a new BIG boyfriend...then bang..... EVERY time.

Anyway , my '2 bits' anyway , good luck !

Thanks for the advice,

I'm a greenhorn but well aware by now that these deer don't do the same thing each day. Not even close. I have hiked all over this hill and only seen two deer up here in the last year total. I have had does and fawns using this trail he is on since I put this camera in at the start of August. This is the first buck I have on camera at the top of the hill in almost a year. I have had at least one camera up there for almost a year now. I also have does and fawns that regularily go up the south side of the hill. I would say they are going up on these two trails every 5-7 days (I assume there are many other trails too obviously). I have never found a trail that I have put a camera on that shows deer more regularily then basically once, maybe twice per week. I have a pretty good idea where some does are feeding a ways lower down the hill on a long bench. I believe they go to the top of this hill in the early morning to bed and come down in the afternoon, like he did this time. I can't imagine even finding them on a regular basis yet (or ever). I'll keep working at it though, love it. There has never been any kind of a pattern to when they come and go. The most active times seem to be between 8:00 am an 10:00 am and between 11:00 pm and 1:00am. But I have had deer on cams at almost every other time too. No pattern.

Dutch Ppoacher
10-22-2013, 07:24 PM
Also, take your nail or knife and go scrape the bark off an alder and ask yourself how long it takes to go orange...
Good luck with your buck.
I was lucky to have a buck use the willows as a rubbing hole for several years till someone in my neighbour hood shot him
willows stay white w/ lime green flesh for a couple days. If the weather is dry and cold this effect will hold longer then in rainy wet conditions. From this point on the bark/flesh will turn colour! It takes aother wk for it to turn fully orange/brown
so if you see a orange flesh rub on a willow it is old
orange flesh on an alder is common from the moment it is made

wet flesh in dry weather is a sign of freshness

DP

Chopper
10-22-2013, 08:04 PM
I wouldn't hunt that buck

caddisguy
10-22-2013, 08:22 PM
I'm excited to see how the rest of this story goes. I hope you find a way to close the deal GoodPartner!

GoodPartner
10-22-2013, 09:48 PM
I wouldn't hunt that buck

I did phrase the question that way didn't I? ... Actually I was hoping for suggestions on how "I' might hunt this buck so that one is on me. :)

I just want to learn. Nights are the worst for me, I can't stop thinking about hunting....so I come here.

The more I hunt, the more I realize the internet can't really help me with what I need to do to get more skilled at hunting. That said, I've tried to read every thread on here about blacktails, and I appreciate any info that I can apply through trial and error out there. I was out this week scraping an alder in my backyard, I'm looking for flies on rubs, I'm looking for decent tree stand sites, I'm going to be keeping my eye now for rubbed willows. This is all great stuff and I appreciate all of your suggestions.

The truth is if I have a safe shot at ANY buck, I am probably going to take it (and be thrilled about it). I'm sticking to my program and there are still a lot of hunting skills I need to practice first hand that come after the shot too.

Not too long ago I couldn't wrap my head around the idea of trophy hunting. At this point I could care less about the size of a deer's rack and I'm not sure I ever will...yet...I can see now how a hunter might evolve to the place where this challenge is important. I can't get over the immense sense of satisfaction I feel in being so unsatisfied when I am hunting. I'm guessing that feeling doesn't go away and that has to be a rare thing in life. Happy to have found it.

caddisguy
10-22-2013, 10:40 PM
I did phrase the question that way didn't I? ... Actually I was hoping for suggestions on how "I' might hunt this buck so that one is on me. :)

It's the internet, so you have just as many guys hunting for attention as you do bucks.

You are the one who is clearly focused on a mighty fine BT, so that speaks for itself.

5/10/85
10-24-2013, 07:42 PM
Hunting blacktail bucks...nothing more frustrating. Shot a bunch over the years and if there's one thing I've learned is that they're GHOSTS. A blacktail buck on a trail camera means virtually nothing (except for getting the blood boiling). Except the rut. The best advice you got so far was stay with the does. Get to know their spots and then stay away until mid October (the bucks on my trail camera start popping up to look for does around Oct 20). Hunting in a stand on a trail is probably best (especially for your thick stuff) if you want to set up in that area, but that is EXTREMELY boring unless you have a MONEY spot where the does are around every couple of days. Spot and stalk (or still hunting) is probably the best during the rut. Get into an area where the does are and be QUIET when you walk. When you hear the freight train, get ready, 'cause he's coming! Doe in a can call or grunt tube can bring them in as well. I haven't had any luck with rattling.

My advice (I gave some already): enjoy the process - the most you will learn is not on the internet, but by trial and error. In my younger years I had tons of fun chasing deer around with my bow and went out all season (Sept - Dec). Lots of awesome memories, but most of the pre-rut hunts were actually just educating hikes, getting to know my area, finding the does, figuring out where (and where NOT) to walk. November 15 is too late - blacktails are heating up already. Enjoy it man. Good luck! You'll get him (or a bigger one).

Sleep Robber
10-24-2013, 08:15 PM
I can't get over the immense sense of satisfaction I feel in being so unsatisfied when I am hunting. I'm guessing that feeling doesn't go away and that has to be a rare thing in life. Happy to have found it.

These 3 sentences are so true, literally put a big smile on my face while reading them.

Thanks for that GP and keep on keeping on, you'll get him one of these days.

Jim Prawn
10-24-2013, 08:15 PM
"blacktails do not do the same thing each day. 'IF' they did , there would be pages and pages of book bucks listed - like whitetails" Well said! I like the rest of Proguides strategy as well...
JP

rides bike to work
10-24-2013, 09:16 PM
I have had black tail on a schedual before. My trick was apples. Keep them fully stock and they'll keep coming back for more

Sleep Robber
10-24-2013, 09:43 PM
I have had black tail on a schedual before. My trick was apples. Keep them fully stock and they'll keep coming back for more

I was gonna say the same thing, I used to watch a 5x5 years ago out on Mt Sicker road just outside Chemainus feed in an apple orchard daily, he never let us down, sadly I think someone disregarded the law and knocked him over as there was no hunting there, it was basically a front yard.