PDA

View Full Version : Tough go so far...

mungojeerie
10-19-2013, 09:35 PM
My season started off in spring with a turkey hunt that turned up nothing... saw a jake on private property but that was it. Did some predator calling as well one afternoon and after 8 minutes a large black wolf busted in. He put the brakes on just as I raised my rifle and I automatically thought that it saw me so I rushed the shot. 300+ yds, no rest 5x magnification and pouf... I watch the dirt kick up just a foot to the left. My heart sank and I was devastated and pissed off about that one. After I deducted that there was no way it saw my movement... just put the brakes on because it had come to the opening of the clearing and was pausing to be cautious.

Things picked up when I connected with a beauty black bear in the spring which is now a fantastic rug and some fantastic eats.

Early goose wasn't fantastic, but it had its moments and birds fell.

My buddy and I both were drawn for the same Goat draw and were super excited. He had a family reunion in Holland, wedding anniversary etc to deal with so our hunt got pushed to the end of Sept. After arriving in the dark we quickly realized that the three wheeler I had wouldnt even make it up the first 3yds of the trail we ditched that, loaded as much gear as possible on his 2 wheel quad, he quaded and I hiked. Stopped to camp the night in the middle of the trail and continue on the next day. We awoke and realized that not much further up fresh snow had dumped over night and was currently lazily falling. There was supposed to be really snotty weather coming out way for the next two days so I knew it would get bad. We couldnt get quite up to base camp where we had planned on ditching the quad and continuing to hike as the snow had gotten to much for quad.

I was worried we would wake to gnarly weather and not be able to get the quad back down the steep terrain safely so we discussed making base camp lower and making the longer hike daily but after glassing where we needed to go we deducted that it was too dangerous to make the climb in the snowy conditions. Our goat trip ended as soon as it started, so with heavy heads we called it off and tried to head to some familiar hunting grounds to take in the 4 point season... after half a day of that we got the phone call that his house had flooded, so back home we went.

I had a great trip planned up to 100 mile house where I planned on hunting a few days with a buddy, tagging a couple deer then heading up near PG for a week long moose hunt during immy/calf season, hopefully connect with a moose then back to 100 mile for some predator hunting (Im dying to bag a wolf) and maybe some waterfowling.

As things go my buddy who is building a house ran into some cash flow problems so moose got cancelled. I figured Oh well, I will just do deer here... 11 straight days pounding the bush in zone 5-1, 5-2, 3-29, 3-30, & 3-31 and I couldnt connect with a buck. I road hunted, hiked, walked, sat, glassed and nothing... Normally I would say thats just the way hunting goes some times, but it was thoroughly discouraging as I was seeing almost no game... even the doe's were scarce which is really weird. I saw a wolf that I couldnt get a shot at, a whitetail doe (first for me in that area) 2 days before she opened and finally on my way out of town we connected with the first buck I had seen in 11 days... a 2x2... unfortunately we found it with the bumper of the jeep at 80km.

I went down to spend a cpl days closer to Merrit... saw another wolf on the highway at night, saw mulie does & fawns but no bucks... and no whiteys... and the only moose I could find had enormous paddles....

So after 13 days of nothing I am back home discouraged, but determined to get back out there... I did good last year and still have a little meat left.

Along my travels I found my first game cam (post to follow later) and met a fellow HBC'er.... WhonnockBoy.... was good to meet you buddy and congrats again on your luck!

Whonnock Boy
10-19-2013, 10:14 PM
The feelings are certainly mutual. Our little chat was a nice little break from the monotony of being a moose hunting chauffeur. :-D

I very much feel that hunting or fishing is all about confidence. I too was in a funk there not all that long ago, and that changed as quickly as it started. My confidence level is riding high, and the freezer is seeing the effects. Stay positive, but most of all have fun. Things will surely change. Cheers....

Whonnock Boy
10-19-2013, 10:29 PM
And hey, it sounds like a you are on the right track to getting yourself a wolf. At least you're seeing them.... :wink:

BiG Boar
10-19-2013, 10:35 PM
its times like these you got to pull up your britches, and get back out there. You don't hunt 100 plus days a year and shoot 50 animals. You've barley even had a go at it, and you're already saying its been a tough go so far. Hunt prime hours, hunt father back than anyone else, and expect bad weather to rain on your parade, and you'll be lucky to bag 3 or 4 good animals. If I started threads about all the failures I have each year, the site would shut down due to to much band width being taken.

Know this: Around the next corner, could be waiting, the greatest adventure of your life....

sawmill
10-20-2013, 05:29 AM
6At least you get to hunt.I have been stuck in Kelowna for the last 6 weeks for re-hab on my neck.Have not even picked up a rifle yet.Oct.25 is my go home date,the list of shit the wife wants me to do will gather dust for the first week.
Things to do...1...Hug my dog
2...hug my woman
3...hunt
4...hunt

5...hunt some more...........................
6...hug my dog (I really miss her)
7...hunt.
8...eat 5 pounds of deer liver and onions(and share some with my dog)
9...Sleep for 24 hours
10...hug my dog and hunt.(maybe hug the wife too,if she`s still around)

Rackem
10-20-2013, 07:00 AM
6At least you get to hunt.I have been stuck in Kelowna for the last 6 weeks for re-hab on my neck.Have not even picked up a rifle yet.Oct.25 is my go home date,the list of shit the wife wants me to do will gather dust for the first week.
Things to do...1...Hug my dog
2...hug my woman

10...hug my dog and hunt.(maybe hug the wife too,if she`s still around)

LOL nice to see you have your priorities...

My Bf was thanking the dog for his kisses this morning, making a fuss over him, and when I kissed him on the other cheek he said "Disgusting!!" LOL!!

Quince
10-20-2013, 08:51 AM
Hunted 3-30, 5-1 with 3 other people. same reaults, NADA! Saw couple cow/calfs and couple white tail does(with mulie does mixed in? didnt know they hung out together) on the one day. Then nothing, hours hiking, sitting, quading, and driving. Saw no bucks or bull/spikers. Even grouse were rare.

on side note. One morning did a couple of moose calls and had a pack of wolves respond on the other side of the swamp!!! Talk about goosebumps!

Quince
10-20-2013, 08:54 AM
Also every hunter/neighbour we talked to said the same thing, no deer, very limited moose.

mungojeerie
10-20-2013, 09:04 AM
Hunted 3-30, 5-1 with 3 other people. same reaults, NADA! Saw couple cow/calfs and couple white tail does(with mulie does mixed in? didnt know they hung out together) on the one day. Then nothing, hours hiking, sitting, quading, and driving. Saw no bucks or bull/spikers. Even grouse were rare.

Yup that's the only encouraging thing... I did find a lot of guys were experiencing the same as me out there. Though I did find a few spots where guys had obviously connected with one. As well as two dead does in different areas. Too decayed to tell how they died. Not sure if some idiot shot them for fun or if they were mistaken for a buck or if the died of a natural cause.

Chickens were a different story though. I saw lots of them. And took a few each day sovi do have my posession limit of chickens.

mungojeerie
10-20-2013, 09:11 AM
its times like these you got to pull up your britches, and get back out there. You don't hunt 100 plus days a year and shoot 50 animals. You've barley even had a go at it, and you're already saying its been a tough go so far. Hunt prime hours, hunt father back than anyone else, and expect bad weather to rain on your parade, and you'll be lucky to bag 3 or 4 good animals. If I started threads about all the failures I have each year, the site would shut down due to to much band width being taken.

Know this: Around the next corner, could be waiting, the greatest adventure of your life....

Oh I know this very well, and I'm looking forward to getting out there again. I've had off years before and I know that's how it goes sometimes.... And I still had a good time, I saw lots of other things, enjoyed some fantastic bush and was often reminded of how wonderful our province is to live in.