PDA

View Full Version : Fort Nelson hunting Area

masoncade1992
10-19-2013, 08:56 PM
Hey Guys,

I currently live in the west koots, but I am soon relocating for work in fort st john. my season so far this year has been ok got 1 wt buck and passed up a spike elk in the easy koots,:confused: then later realizing it was open( I was below 1100 meter) .

I have heard fort nelson is decent hunting, however I don't know my way around at all up in that country. years ago I hunted pink mtn,but way to many hunters!

I have an atv,no jet boat though. what is the animal population like? elk?moose

any info on that area would be very helpful for me to plan next years hunt.

tinhorse
10-19-2013, 09:04 PM
Animal population is good in areas poorer in others (just like everywhere).... When I was up there I liked steamboat and Kledo fsr's. Good elk and moose on both. On steamboat in late October there was on block that we went in to burn (slash piles) and counted 46 moose (26 were bulls) and Im sure there were more that we missed. Can be tough quading especially since I believe they deactivated many of the roads that canfor looked after as the mills are (were) shut down..? I believe they still are. Tons of other areas to hunt though, just depends on what type and how far you want to go...

10-19-2013, 09:55 PM
Your moving to a HUB of BC BIG GAME MECCA !

Over the years you will learn it but they surround you living there .........

Good luck CT

masoncade1992
10-20-2013, 08:14 AM
so what your saying is that if I take a 1week off nxt year, I should be able to bag my moose at least? lol

Tin horse- 46 moose on one burn! that reminds me of when the hunting up goldstream and French creek was good(revelstoke). That was before they opened up way to many LEH to combat wolves to help the caribou.????

are the atv areas almost as good as the jet boat areas? or are the atv areas crowded with hunters?

Rackem
10-20-2013, 09:01 AM
Yes you should be able to no problem lol. Fort Nelson has a lot of game, and if you get in with a local, you are golden.

hawk-i
10-20-2013, 09:11 AM
Getting in with a local is the easy way for some....learning how to hunt and getting out and doing it on your own is the rewarding way for most.

10-20-2013, 09:15 AM
Buy a Jet, get balls the size of large grapefruit, loose all common sense of fear, have deep pocket books, and really get into,....... Moose Elk, G Bear, Sheep, and Goat country.

CT

masoncade1992
10-20-2013, 09:35 AM
Jet boats are way past my budget lol maybe a jet tub for my wife, less money but happy wife is happy life!!!

brutus
10-20-2013, 09:40 AM
dont need a jet boat to get moose or elk in and around fort nelson

albravo2
10-20-2013, 10:53 AM
Buy a Jet, get balls the size of large grapefruit, loose all common sense of fear, have deep pocket books, and really get into,....... Moose Elk, G Bear, Sheep, and Goat country.

CT

After a trip up the Muskwa/Tuchodi with Kevin of Riverjet Adventures I have to agree that jet boats are a great idea. If you have big balls and no sense of fear or cost sensitivity. What a fun way to hunt!

Rock Doctor
10-20-2013, 11:13 AM
Just pick a road, and start driving. When you get to an area you like the looks of, start walking:
Few to get you started:
South of town
Prophet river area Any road
Mile 269 Old Highway
Milo Lake Road
Andy Bailey Road, heads back to Klua Creek, and Esday Road
SYD Road Heads back in to the Horn River areas

North of Town
Lyben Logging Road Access just out of town, or at 25km on the 317 Highway.
Beaver Lake area, 10km on the 317
Rasberry Creek
Kledo Creek
Steamboat
115 Creek Chirchill area
428 Tower Road
Toad River Area, Davis Keays Mine Site

RD

takla1
10-20-2013, 02:27 PM
you don't need to go on a guided trip and spend coin on the Alaska hyw between ft st john and fort nelson.I hunted for yrs up there back in the 80's and 90's and never came home skunked.Sikanni chief area is good,as well as further up along the prophet river.We had the same camp up in there about 40 miles in by quad along the prophet and seen everything in there from bear/black and griz,huge bodied moose,monster carriboo bulls ,as well as mnt goat, deer..wolverines,wolves,you name it...

masoncade1992
10-20-2013, 02:29 PM
Good to know. Id be hppy with just getting either an elk or a moose next season, thanks everyone for all the advise.

takla1
10-20-2013, 02:33 PM
by the way most of the moose antlers in my avatar are from the prophet and just south of lum and abners ,also if you have the means to cross the prophet there are trails that take you back in towards muskwa that are just teaming with moose and elk ect ..... takla