PDA

View Full Version : Need some Luck!

Redneck Rocket
10-19-2013, 05:53 PM
Still looking to cut my first tag (not just this year, but ever.) I have definitely put in my time, seen a lot of deer sign, spooked a couple and seen Elk & Moose activity as well. I even saw 2 Cows and a Spike-fork bull standing on the road 50 yards away, 10 days before the season opened!!!

I know I'm in some good areas, seeing lots of sign. Today I found a really fresh white-tail rub. I get out of the truck & walk a lot. Sit quietly in good spots and all that stuff. Feel like I just need a little bit of luck!

Not giving up yet, but it is tough. Probably walked 10 miles today and was out for nearly 12 hours. I've been out over 10 times so far...

And that damn Spike-fork would have to turn up before the season opens!

nature girl
10-19-2013, 06:04 PM
Youll connect on a animal soon. If you walked 10 miles today maybe slow down a bit and sit and glass. Enjoy the scenery and you should see a animal or a few.
Sometimes when you least expect to see a animal out will come one. So be ready. Just be patient. Now what kind of fun would it be if the very first time you went out and you got a animal well it would be fun what I am saying is just enjoy yourself.

buckshot
10-19-2013, 06:22 PM
It's just about being in the right place at the right time if you put in the effort. Friends of mine just returned from region 6 where they had two draws. They got their two bulls. Believe it or not: two two pointers! Don't loose faith.

Redneck Rocket
10-19-2013, 06:35 PM
Youll connect on a animal soon. If you walked 10 miles today maybe slow down a bit and sit and glass. Enjoy the scenery and you should see a animal or a few.
Sometimes when you least expect to see a animal out will come one. So be ready. Just be patient. Now what kind of fun would it be if the very first time you went out and you got a animal well it would be fun what I am saying is just enjoy yourself.

Don't worry, I definitely enjoy being out there. And 10 miles is probably a bit of hyperbole. I tend to walk slowly, and stop pretty frequently and listen. If I find a spot I think looks good, I usually wait it out for a while. Try a few calls and wait a little longer.

I sat watching the edge of a cutblock for a good hour today just enjoying the sunshine. Don't worry I'm all good out there, it just seems like all the animals I've seen have been before the season started, or muley does! Seeing 2 cows and a Spike was pure luck. I was walking along the road back to my truck and they were stood 50 yards in front of it! Just a little frustrating, have probably put in 40+ hours now, mostly boots to the ground and really hoping for a chance to harvest my first animal.

Redneck Rocket
10-19-2013, 06:35 PM
It's just about being in the right place at the right time if you put in the effort. Friends of mine just returned from region 6 where they had two draws. They got their two bulls. Believe it or not: two two pointers! Don't loose faith.

NICE!!! It will happen eventually, I'm sure.

boxhitch
10-19-2013, 06:46 PM
Sounds like you are going about it all right , as humbling as it is . Think of how sweet the success will feel when it does come your way. Patience, Grasshopper

Midland
10-19-2013, 07:23 PM
I second this

Sounds like you are going about it all right , as humbling as it is . Think of how sweet the success will feel when it does come your way. Patience, Grasshopper

Captainkf
10-19-2013, 08:32 PM
It's a combination of skill, patience and luck I think. Last year I put in a good 20 days before I got my first white tail whereas this year I got a nice 3 point white tail my first day out. I wasn't even going to bring my backpack for a brief hike while hunting but my buddy talked me into it, and boy was I glad! We actually saw two wt bucks, but he paused a bit too long and the second buck didn't wait around for him to get himself sorted out, big surprise. Anyhow, my point is the same as everyone's, take your time, slow down and it will happen. Do you have someone with more experience who can mentor you a bit? Nothing beats experience in the woods. Good luck!

PointMan
10-19-2013, 09:06 PM
I ate tag soup for four years before I cut my first tag, cut them every year since. Come to think of it, I cut that tag a few weeks after I bought myself a brand new rifle… HMMMMM

Redneck Rocket
10-22-2013, 08:01 PM
Might need to buy a new rifle then! Spent 3 hours up in a treestand today in a great area. Not a sniff!

Midland
10-22-2013, 10:02 PM
3 hours? My goodness, don't over do yourself.... ;)

Might need to buy a new rifle then! Spent 3 hours up in a treestand today in a great area. Not a sniff!

Redneck Rocket
10-22-2013, 10:19 PM
3 hours? My goodness, don't over do yourself.... ;)

It was all I could manage on a school night. Finished up my work and grabbed the last few hours of daylight!

Midland
10-22-2013, 10:21 PM
Well if you put it that way.... Good on ya!

Keep plugging away, it will happen. :)

It was all I could manage on a school night. Finished up my work and grabbed the last few hours of daylight!